Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 09:35 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and there are the operative words.... the system is rigged so that different types of income are taxed differently.... allowing someone with the means to earn that kind of income a way to pay lower or no taxes on it..... where the person whose income comes solely from the sweat of his or her brow pays the full rate on ALL of his or her income.....

all thanks to the legislators bought and paid for by those who can afford them.....
how can the government measure how much we are all sweating?

metaphorical but i trust you know what i mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,651,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And here I thought getting great grades, not doing crime or drugs, staying in school, and getting a job were great choices.
Those are all fine choices. Now, how about your choice to acquire no marketable skills? That's a terrible choice, and you make it each and every day.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:36 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Those are all fine choices. Now, how about your choice to acquire no marketable skills? That's a terrible choice, and you make it each and every day.
ouch

Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:

My plan was to go to law school, which would have provided the marketable skills, but the cost of law school had skyrocketed and the economic return on investment had become dubious. SoI decided to quit while I was behind, instead of going hopelessly over my head in student loan debt.

A minor in comp sci was my backup plan, but its usefulness was eclipsed by the emerging PC. I have a marketable skill but can't use it as long as the drunk and I are in the same house.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
My plan was to go to law school, which would have provided the marketable skills, but the cost of law school had skyrocketed and the economic return on investment had become dubious. SoI decided to quit while I was behind, instead of going hopelessly over my head in student loan debt.

A minor in comp sci was my backup plan, but its usefulness was eclipsed by the emerging PC.
So your strategy is to spend your adult life working for minimum wage and complaining that you have no marketable skills? Plenty of things in life do not go as we planned. Adjust. Adapt. Pursue something else. It's your life. If you aren't satisfied with how it is going, you will have to fix it yourself. Your Fairy Godmother is not coming.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times
nor is the city-data god father.

when you ask the same question : how is a burger flipper supposed to do this or that in every thread discussing having money for something in life do you really think there is an answer you are going to get?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
So your strategy is to spend your adult life working for minimum wage and complaining that you have no marketable skills? Plenty of things in life do not go as we planned. Adjust. Adapt. Pursue something else. It's your life. If you aren't satisfied with how it is going, you will have to fix it yourself. Your Fairy Godmother is not coming.

Clearly, I had not expected to find myself having to answer to a volatile angry drunk [what are the odds of that?). The thing with drunks is, EVERYTHING is ALL ABOUT THEM. This drunk has successfully inserted himself between the house owner and the people paying the bills, allowing him to live in the house for free and even get free money in the deal, while inconveniencing and exploiting the rest of us for his personal benefit. His girlfriend is homeless when she's not in the house, so he gets what he wants from her and then kicks her out, lets her back in until they fight again, rinse and repeat. If those two had jobs, the house would be livable.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Clearly, I had not expected to find myself having to answer to a volatile angry drunk [what are the odds of that?). The thing with drunks is, EVERYTHING is ALL ABOUT THEM. This drunk has successfully inserted himself between the house owner and the people paying the bills, allowing him to live in the house for free and even get free money in the deal, while inconveniencing and exploiting the rest of us for his personal benefit. His girlfriend is homeless when she's not in the house, so he gets what he wants from her and then kicks her out, lets her back in until they fight again, rinse and repeat. If those two had jobs, the house would be livable.
The drunk in your house is not responsible for your choices; you are.

You have an awful lot in common with that drunk. Addicts are notorious for refusing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The drunk in your house is not responsible for your choices; you are.

You have an awful lot in common with that drunk. Addicts are notorious for refusing to take responsibility for their own actions.

I did not choose to make this house unlivable,. I did not choose to be raised by drunks and consequently have related issues. I do not choose to get and stay plastered and to intermittently blow up and get into fights. I did not choose to plop his girlfriend outside my room where she stays 24/7 because she has no job and doesn't want to venture out.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times
Quote:
I did not choose to make this house unlivable,. I did not choose to be raised by drunks and consequently have related issues. I do not choose to get and stay plastered and to intermittently blow up and get into fights. I did not choose to plop his girlfriend outside my room where she stays 24/7 because she has no job and doesn't want to venture out.
I'm confused as to how this problem does not make you work more rather than less. If I were in that situation, I'd be doing 70 hours a week to spend the day away from these crazies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics