Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times

Advertisements

I'm so surprised that Houston was not on this list. With a high black growth rate, black prosperity, and a great lifestyle for black amidst a very diverse populace, I don't see why it was a list in the top 5 on this list.

Welcome to Forbes

Thoughts?

(Please don't mention the O&G industry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm so surprised that Houston was not on this list. With a high black growth rate, black prosperity, and a great lifestyle for black amidst a very diverse populace, I don't see why it was a list in the top 5 on this list.

Welcome to Forbes

Thoughts?

(Please don't mention the O&G industry.)
Other than San Antionio, all those places have more to offer for lifestyle than just work...for any race. Houston just doesn't have enough of a rich, cultural past for blacks. However, I no clue why SA made it.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:01 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Perhaps it has to do with percentages (just a guess). We still have a high rate of impoverished black communities in and around Houston.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Other than San Antionio, all those places have more to offer for lifestyle than just work...for any race. Houston just doesn't have enough of a rich, cultural past for blacks. However, I no clue why SA made it.
Those rankings involve economics alone. Culture has nothing to do with it.

You've no clue what you're talking about in regards to the city's black culture, anyway. The Houston area has two of the largest HBCUs in the entire nation and continues to be a magnet for professionals and business owners of color. Just stick to what you know, please.

It wasn't long ago that Black Enterprise deemed Houston the best city for blacks in the country. Each publication will have their own methodology, and every one of them has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM

167 posts, read 248,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Those rankings involve economics alone. Culture has nothing to do with it.

You've no clue what you're talking about in regards to the city's black culture, anyway. The Houston area has two of the largest HBCUs in the entire nation and continues to be a magnet for professionals and business owners of color. Just stick to what you know, please.

It wasn't long ago that Black Enterprise deemed Houston the best city for blacks in the country. Each publication will have their own methodology, and every one of them has to be taken with a grain of salt.
In terms of black upper class Houston is still way far behind areas like Maryland, DC, Chicago.

The good ole boy network inside oil still rules the roost.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
In terms of black upper class Houston is still way far behind areas like Maryland, DC, Chicago.

The good ole boy network inside oil still rules the roost.
Everyone knows about DC and that PG County is the mecca for affluent blacks, and virtually every other city except Atlanta will fall short in that regard. That doesn't negate anything I've said, though.

You have to know to look past a few cherry picked stats. For example, I believe New Hampshire has the highest median income for blacks in the nation. That alone does not mean that the state is a cultural hotbed for people of color.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,610 times
Surely there is a better forum for this discussion.

Houston is the kind of city that doesn't care if you're purple, orange or yellow with red spots as long as you perform your job well. I for one am glad Houston is not number 1 on that list. The last thing this city needs is mass media telling more people to come here who have nothing to contribute.

If you have a skill set that fits the city, great. If you happen to not be white, non-white Hispanic or Other, who cares? Get a job, move here and contribute.

I'm speaking to everyone in general here: Don't move to any Texas city expecting everyone to kiss your ass because you read an article about the **insert city here** being a good fit for a specific ethnic group.

Houston doesn't put up with crap like that, in fact it is probably why Houston isn't higher on that list.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Surely there is a better forum for this discussion.

Houston is the kind of city that doesn't care if you're purple, orange or yellow with red spots as long as you perform your job well. I for one am glad Houston is not number 1 on that list. The last thing this city needs is mass media telling more people to come here who have nothing to contribute.

If you have a skill set that fits the city, great. If you happen to not be white, non-white Hispanic or Other, who cares? Get a job, move here and contribute.

I'm speaking to everyone in general here: Don't move to any Texas city expecting everyone to kiss your ass because you read an article about the **insert city here** being a good fit for a specific ethnic group.

Houston doesn't put up with crap like that, in fact it is probably why Houston isn't higher on that list.
All this ranking measures is the combined factors household income, self employment, and home ownership. You could have discovered that for yourself and we would have been spared your pointless rant.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Moving to Economic forum as its not about Houston.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Moving to Economic forum as its not about Houston.
Yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics