Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
People that are DUI kill huge numbers of people on the highways each year.it should be taken as a very serious crime with serious consequences without doubt.in most states it not taken serious enough for the harm in does in endangering lifes.
There are many different ways of being impaired, DUI is but one.

Telephoning
Texting
Eating
Drinking
Talking to another passenger
Distracted by a child in the back
Changing the radio station
Impaired by age either physically or mentally

They are not all equal. On the one hand you have powerful lobbies advocating criminalization (e.g. MADD) on the other hand you have powerful lobbies against criminalization (e.g. AARP).

Personally, I choose not to drink anything when I drive which is why we rarely go out to restaurants. But I think a bit of consistency around impairment would be a good thing.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
"An average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest."
Centers for Disease Control. “Vital Signs: Alcohol-Impaired Driving Among Adults — United States, 2010.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. October 4, 2011.

"In 2013, 10,076 people died in drunk driving crashes - one every 52 minutes - and 290,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes."
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration FARS data, 2014. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812102.pdf. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “The Economic and Societal Impact Of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010.” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, May 2014, DOT HS 812 013. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812013.pdf.

I have no sympathy for anyone caught driving while under the influence, none. There is too much information now to be uneducated about the consequences.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
You chose to drink and drive in opposition of the daily barrage that it is; a dumb idea, illegal, and can ruin your life.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Have you ever driven while sleep deprived? Or sick? Or when you were particularly emotional or distracted?

If so, you can go ahead and hop off that high horse of yours, because driving under those circumstances is just as 'dangerous' (if not more so) as driving after having a drink or two.

Don't forget about the intense distraction of talking on the phone while driving, I bet many self righteous posters do this regularly. Also, it's the phone call that is casing the distraction, not the device, hands free is just as dangerous. Almost every time I see a driver make a stupid mistake that nearly causes an accident they are obliviously yaking away.

Studies have shown that using the phone, even with handsfree is just as dangerous, or even more dangerous than drinking and driving. I'm certainly not pro drinking too much before driving, but it frustrates me to no end that people will talk endlessly, and with utter disgust about anyone who has even a drop of alcohol, which is not illegal if under the limit, but not a peep about causing accidents, and possibly killing innocents for a phone call. It's because not drinking is easy for most people, but nobody wants to give up their phone even though studies have shown that the likelihood of causing an accident is the same as someone with a .08.

Last edited by detshen; 01-23-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
My son drove on Long Island very drunk. .crashed his car in college. . I was so upset because I BEAT IT INTO HIM don't do it...he has a great job now 8 yrs later. .he was still in grad school. PhD in Physics and told me he will never do it again.

.I know a woman teacher bowling league that the woman was at the limit ..and they arrested her....I hate to say this but without an accident it really is the officers call and how much she had. .

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post

Don't forget about the intense distraction of talking on the phone while driving, I bet many self righteous posters do this regularly. Also, it's the phone call that is casing the distraction, not the device, hands free is just as dangerous. Almost every time I see a driver make a stupid mistake that nearly causes an accident they are obliviously yaking away.

Studies have shown that using the phone, even with handsfree is just as dangerous, or even more dangerous than drinking and driving. I'd much rather be around other drivers who are slightly over the limit who are making every effort to drive carefully than people engrossed in phone calls.
I agree. ..

Old 01-23-2015, 06:37 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Have you ever driven while sleep deprived? Or sick? Or when you were particularly emotional or distracted?

If so, you can go ahead and hop off that high horse of yours, because driving under those circumstances is just as 'dangerous' (if not more so) as driving after having a drink or two.
You can try to justify drinking and driving all you want, but it will not make it defensible or any less a deliberate choice to place the lives of others at risk.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM

518 posts, read 872,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post

Studies have shown that using the phone, even with handsfree is just as dangerous, or even more dangerous than drinking and driving. I'd much rather be around other drivers who are slightly over the limit, but are making every effort to drive carefully than people engrossed in phone calls.
Yep you can count on the self-righteous types to pop up in a thread like this. If they or a close family member/friend gets popped for this maybe they'll understand how unfair and harsh the punishment is in many states. Unless, of course, you're fortunate enough to live in states like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that believe in a more reasonable punishment (for first offenders) and these states try not to ruin peoples lives for one poor decision (assuming no injury/accident caused or extreme BAC content)

I wonder how many people ITT have texted while driving? I have a few times, admittedly. It is extremely dangerous. Yet these same people who do these various distracting habits regularly have no problem crucifying a first time DUI offender. Go figure.

The DUI punishments in this country have crossed the line. It's no longer a fair punishment like most crimes-it is a huge money making and feel good propaganda scheme. Educating and giving people the opportunity to redeem themselves should be the goal.... so people never make the decision to drive intoxicated again. Instead, the system tries to destroy your life.... and does a pretty good job of it.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM

917 posts, read 1,384,364 times
My dad is actually going to court for his 3rd dwi. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. My friend recently got a dwi as well & wrecked his car. Luckily no one was hurt. (He had a few cuts & bruises)
Locally, I've noticed when there's a dwi related deadly accident to no surprise the drunk driver survives oh & what do u know... It's not his first dwi either.
I've been the DD before & I've had my share of drinks but I've never driven drunk. I always get a ride or have a DD with me.
There are so many options to prevent drunk driving. Free cab rides & what not & ppl refuse to use their services. That's why I have a hard time feeling bad for anyone who gets a DWI.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Seriously. Financially ruined is just the start. There should absolutely be stiff consequences but I feel we have gone too far. Harsh feel good laws from MADD that don't stop the problem, just produce revenue and make peoples lives miserable. The punishment in many states (like here in AZ) does not fit the crime IMO.

In many states you are looking at losing thousands in fines and future insurance increases. Not to mention the cost if you choose to hire an attorney. Also, possible jail time, loss of license or months, and some other requirements. Many people lose their jobs. Or they can't get a job because of a background check. Their entire life is turned upside down... and these are often otherwise good normal people. Not alcoholics, just regular folks who may not even drink alcohol often.... just made one poor choice to drive after drinking.

A first time offender, run-of-the-mill DUI (no accident, injury) makes one bad decision and his/her life is in pieces. I have no sympathy for people who don't learn from their mistakes... but I do believe there should be a second chance and empathy barring no extreme injury or accident was caused.
You know there are DUI and Drug Court in this country. It deal with the very issue you are talking about. It's not perfect but it is something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics