Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How can you make such a statement? Do you have a good example of a working capitalist economy without minimum wage laws that does not involve severe exploitation of workers?

If a business cannot make a profit WHILE paying its workers a decent wage, why should it be considered a business we as a society want around?
Minimum wage laws have not done anything to benefit anyone. How can the Government decide how much someone is worth? A business should be allowed to make that decision. If a business offers someone $3 an hour because that is all they want to pay then I doubt that many positions will be filled. We had a situation here at the hospital where we were only paying $10 an hour for our housekeepers. They could not keep people. Older workers would stay but newer people would leave. They looked at the market and found that they were paying to little. Now they make closer to $14 an hour. It was a market decision.

All minimum wage laws do is help inflation. You have a lot of small employers that can not afford to pay people the minimum wage. What do they do? They do not hire other people.

As far as a decent wage, why not pay people $40 an hour. I make around that and find it to be a decent wage. Not perfect but we pay our bills. Maybe that is too low. How about $100 an hour? Is that what you are talking about? I will go for that.

Many business operations start out making little of nothing. Many of these companies offer an incentive to work for them at a reduced amount with the intent of getting a bigger payout later on. I still know people around here that stated out at Amgen in the early days. One area resident has a net worth of over $26million. She used to live in the same apartment complex that i live in. She worked for less than a market rate, and many times less than minimum wage just to help Amgen get off the ground. Others did the same thing. Many companies offered similar set up's for their employees. It is a risk that both are taking. If things work out the pay off is life changing. Not all of these ventures work out but many of them do work out. I would do it in a second if offered the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 03:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Of course it's legal, wealthy people pay good money to keep it that way. Why do you think crime rates are so much lower for the wealthy than the poor?
So the wealthy create a system that we can all benefit from.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So the wealthy create a system that we can all benefit from.
Clarify please...

Old 01-28-2015, 03:31 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Clarify please...
If not for the wealthy, whose table scraps would the rest of us eat?

Old 01-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Minimum wage laws have not done anything to benefit anyone.
Yes they have. They have limited the exploitation of wage-earners by employers looking to cut costs.

Quote:
How can the Government decide how much someone is worth? A business should be allowed to make that decision. If a business offers someone $3 an hour because that is all they want to pay then I doubt that many positions will be filled. We had a situation here at the hospital where we were only paying $10 an hour for our housekeepers. They could not keep people. Older workers would stay but newer people would leave. They looked at the market and found that they were paying to little. Now they make closer to $14 an hour. It was a market decision.
Then explain why historically there is no detectable correlation between real min wage and unemployment rates...

Quote:

All minimum wage laws do is help inflation. You have a lot of small employers that can not afford to pay people the minimum wage. What do they do? They do not hire other people.

As far as a decent wage, why not pay people $40 an hour. I make around that and find it to be a decent wage. Not perfect but we pay our bills. Maybe that is too low. How about $100 an hour? Is that what you are talking about? I will go for that.
Slippery slope fallacy.

Quote:

Many business operations start out making little of nothing. Many of these companies offer an incentive to work for them at a reduced amount with the intent of getting a bigger payout later on. I still know people around here that stated out at Amgen in the early days. One area resident has a net worth of over $26million. She used to live in the same apartment complex that i live in. She worked for less than a market rate, and many times less than minimum wage just to help Amgen get off the ground. Others did the same thing. Many companies offered similar set up's for their employees. It is a risk that both are taking. If things work out the pay off is life changing. Not all of these ventures work out but many of them do work out. I would do it in a second if offered the chance.
Look, someone is going to hurt, no matter what you do. The key is in choosing the lesser of the evils.

Here is what life was like before there was a minimum wage:

Drill, Ye Tarriers, Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2015, 07:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
How can you make such a statement? Do you have a good example of a working capitalist economy without minimum wage laws that does not involve severe exploitation of workers?

If a business cannot make a profit WHILE paying its workers a decent wage, why should it be considered a business we as a society want around?
Well you do have electricity because of a capitalist who invested large sums of money into Edison the building of the infrastructure and almost lost it all. When he plunked all the money down he risked losing it all, the workers got paid regardless. Fortunately for us and him, he invested well. We got electricity and we he got richer.

If it weren't for capitalist investing large sums of money we wouldn't be enjoying many things we have today, we'd light our house by oil lamp, going to an out house, driving a horse and buggy. Maybe it's time that you appreciate them a little, if you can't, turn out the light, rub two sticks together, walk or ride a bike.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well you do have electricity because of a capitalist who invested large sums of money into Edison the building of the infrastructure and almost lost it all. When he plunked all the money down he risked losing it all, the workers got paid regardless. Fortunately for us and him, he invested well. We got electricity and we he got richer.

If it weren't for capitalist investing large sums of money we wouldn't be enjoying many things we have today, we'd light our house by oil lamp, going to an out house, driving a horse and buggy. Maybe it's time that you appreciate them a little, if you can't, turn out the light, rub two sticks together, walk or ride a bike.
I did not say capitalism does not work. Read my post again.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
How can a rich dude become richer by making someone else poor?
i don't know if it what you looking for but i see it daily and almost 90% is an attack on the lower wage black community.

it would be:

pawn shops
title loans
alcohol/ liquid stores
furniture stores
rent to own stores
u car lots ( pay here style)
renta wheel
paycheck loans/ check cashing

we got one part of town that very low wages income, these stores are only in that part of town, they prey on the low wages with high interest , repos, ungodly fees, etc

Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Yes they have. They have limited the exploitation of wage-earners by employers looking to cut costs.

Then explain why historically there is no detectable correlation between real min wage and unemployment rates...

Slippery slope fallacy.

Look, someone is going to hurt, no matter what you do. The key is in choosing the lesser of the evils.

Here is what life was like before there was a minimum wage:

Drill, Ye Tarriers, Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I really hate when I can't rep your posts...

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Quote:

- Do you realize that a SIGNIFICANT amount of businesses are small businesses with 1 employee (the owner)? They don't have a payroll other than to pay themselves, and they remain in business for YEARS providing valuable products, services, consulting, etc. to society. Are you saying that they should all close their doors because they choose not to hire people and pay them a wage?

- Second question, have you ever heard of commissioned sales people? They don't get a wage, they are paid based on a percentage of their sales performance. Same with independent authors, independent Entertainers, and of course small business owners. All of these people aren't paid a wage, they are paid on their performance, if they don't PERFORM and a PROFIT is generated, then they don't eat. What do you say about their situation? Should those industries all be shut down for "exploitation"?

The problem that you far left liberals face with these types of arguments is that you are so ONE-SIDED that you end up defeating yourselves before us conservatives even have a chance to "out-debate" you. Lol, I don't even have to debate you, all I have to do is point at industries that have NO WAGE and have been in existence for CENTURIES, paying people only based on what they produce (their performance).

You guys are so hard-pressed to protect Shaniqua with her 16 kids from 16 different thugs, working at McDonalds who wants a $1.50 an hour increase in her minimum wage. If you really wanted to help Shaniqua, you would put out a PRESS CAMPAIGN to STOP the production of future Shaniquas where they are having kids they can't afford by sorry pieces of CRAP "men" (if you even want to call them that) who don't have a pot to urinate in or a window to throw it out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics