Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
No you don't. You make money off of inexperienced and unlucky investors or successful, growing ventures. The 1% uses insider info to get out before investments turn bad or OWN the ventures that you invest in.
Or they're doing exactly the same as the poster, but on a larger scale so they can demand lower trading expenses and thus make a larger return on the same activity simply by virtue of being rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 PM

893 posts, read 885,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I'm pretty sure you're 11 years old, but here goes. There is a limited amount of wealth to be had. The rich keep getting richer by taking more of the wealth, leaving less wealth for everyone else. The wealthiest 1% will soon control 50% of the planet's wealth. And as a percentage of wealth the richest people contribute less to the economy, meaning less of their wealth makes it's way back into the wealth pool for other people to acquire more wealth.
Wow. Talk about extremely uninformed. Or flat out dishonest. This is what is so sickening about the Obamabots. They've brainwashed so many minions into believing this crap. WOW.

There is not a "limted amount of wealth to be had".

When you make money and accumulate wealth it doesn't take away from others ability to earn wealth. There is no pile of money and wealth that is being horded and kept from you.

How clueless can people really be?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The stock market is not a level playing field. The top 1% trade better and faster than you and I.
Well, get BETTER!! Apply yourself and learn more. Work harder.

Wealth/class envy is disgusting.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I used to make money in the stock market. Not much but as a recent grad with student loans it was better than having my money lose value from inflation.Went the dividend reinvestment route which really helps. But then the grace period on my loans expired (6 months after graduation), also had to start paying more on my car insurance (no more good student discount) and some other things, just part of moving on. Had to sell about 95% of my stocks. Held on to the one that wasn't performing as well in hopes of not selling it for a loss. Really disappoints me. I had made a good bit of money, all just by having money in the first place. Now that money from work goes straight to Sallie Mae and other places.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
When you make money and accumulate wealth it doesn't take away from others ability to earn wealth. There is no pile of money and wealth that is being horded and kept from you.

I knew I was just imagining those bank vaults.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You display the fallacious thinking of liberals, who employ the model of a static economy.

Using the model of a dynamic economy, you were better off than the bum because you had a skill with which you were likely to earn money, while the bum was unlikely be able to earn any meaningful amount of money. i.e. you were (temporarily) broke but not poor; the bum was and remained poor.
What liberals fail to realize is that no matter what measures you go to to try and make everyone's outcomes equal, it will not work. EVER.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I knew I was just imagining those bank vaults.
So because I have a dollar, it is keeping you from a dollar. Gotcha.

Last edited by iowa4430; 01-27-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
So because I have a dollar, it is keeping you from a dollar. Gotcha.
Not what I was saying at all but ok. The fact is there are piles of cash and other goods that are in fact kept away contrary to what you posted. THAT wealth is kept away and is unavailable. Sure I can still make money, just not that money unless the person who possesses it chooses to make it available. That's why consumer spending for goods/services is so important for a healthy economy. It benefits no one if people just sit on their money (well, except for that person).

Old 01-27-2015, 04:29 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Wiggers View Post
Since I have positive net worth and little to no debt including student loan debt does that make the bad guy?
No, not at all. I'm quite wealthy and I don't see wealth as an inherent marker of poor moral fibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Wiggers View Post
I live a comfortable life and chuckle hearing the problems of those below me.
That makes you the bad guy.

Quote:
Wow. Talk about extremely uninformed. Or flat out dishonest. This is what is so sickening about the Obamabots. They've brainwashed so many minions into believing this crap. WOW.
There is not a "limted amount of wealth to be had".
Wow. Talk about extremely uninformed. Or flat out dishonest. This is what is so sickening about the Reaganites. They've brainwashed so many minions into believing this crap. WOW.
There is absolutely a limited pool of wealth. If there weren't then currency would be worthless. If there's a pie on the table and I take a piece of it that's less pie for everyone else. The pie is a resource in this analogy, just like money is a resource. Resources are limited, just like everything else. If wealth were unlimited then every nation on Earth would be a futuristic wonderland and every human would be wealthy. And the wealthy absolutely do horde their wealth. That's what offshore bank accounts are for.
How could anyone actually think like you do?

Quote:
Well, get BETTER!! Apply yourself and learn more. Work harder.

Wealth/class envy is disgusting.
The wealthiest investors use programs to play the market, making thousands of trades a second and responding to market influences faster than what any human is capable of. You can be the wisest, luckiest investor in Earth but you can't be faster than a liquid-cooled computer running a constantly upgraded program that analyzes the market for minute changes every millisecond and doesn't rely on human interaction to make trades.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Not what I was saying at all but ok. The fact is there are piles of cash and other goods that are in fact kept away contrary to what you posted. THAT wealth is kept away and is unavailable. Sure I can still make money, just not that money unless the person who possesses it chooses to make it available. That's why consumer spending for goods/services is so important for a healthy economy. It benefits no one if people just sit on their money (well, except for that person).
Asinine. You really think "rich" people are just "sitting on their money" keeping it out of the economy? WOW.

Where do you "learn" this stuff? Let me guess, you're an econ teacher at a college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics