Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 06:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why? Because if you don't "work your life away" to survive, your survival depends on someone else's work.

Or you starve to death.

That's true, I once worked two jobs so that my landlord did not have to work any jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:53 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So you think it's okay to watch someone struggling financially because they only work one part time job and can't figure out why they are poor? You don't think it's moral to suggest that they work more hours (like everyone else) so that they can have a better life?
Why can not a job pay enough so that people do not have to get another job? No that would not work we can not hold the business owners responsible it is better to just blame the employees. How is it moral to ask someone to spend pretty much each waking hour working? We are not talking about robots here these are people who need rest and relaxation. You do realize that people who have worked two jobs only tend tod do so for a short while you know why because it is not doable for a long time. The Right Wing seems to want us to start heading to eventual slavery where the poor work long hours with little or no pay.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
minimum wage is for kiddie jobs not grownups supporting themselves ,like it or not that is what it is. adults are expected to develop marketable skills to support themselves . if they have no skillws they need more low level jobs and more working hours to take up the shortfall.

been there ,done that myself.
This from someone who is not paying attention or been in the real world. These jobs are being done by adults now because manufactoring jobs are for the most part gone. To develop skills you need money, intelligence and for their to actually be a job in that field something not available to everyone.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:31 AM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
for those who want to do it they will find a way . the rest will just find an excuse.

did it myself , i worked 3 jobs at one time just so i would never end up going back to the nyc housing project i grew up in.

i had noooo money , found financing at a trade school and the rest is history.. retiring after 40 years of decent pay and never being out of work and in the top 3% in net worth..

my story repeats over and over by lots of other determined folks.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
for those who want to do it they will find a way . the rest will just find an excuse.

did it myself , i worked 3 jobs at one time just so i would never end up going back to the nyc housing project i grew up in.

i had noooo money , found financing at a trade school and the rest is history.. retiring after 40 years of decent pay and never being out of work and in the top 3% in net worth..

Show proof that anyone can do it. Just because you can or someone you know can does not prove anyone can. You are totally ignoring intelligence, upbringing, mental heath, wealth and just throwing out baseless assumptions.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:52 AM

lets reverse that same question , show proof they really committed and tried and failed . there is no proof and that is an issue only they know . but i can tell you this odds, are you put two people in identical situations and one will succeed and one will fail. it is just human nature.

i still see some old friends from the project days and yes some are still in crappy low end jobs. they had the same choices in life i did. they took other paths ..

we all came from the same area, same poor families and same high school education. but that is where the choices and motivation in life ended .

while they are loading and unloading trucks still, i am retiring with a multi 7 figure portfolio. call it determination not to fail , drive , creativity and luck but all that matters is i am where i am and they are where they are.

call it whatever you want but the fact is some will succeed and others will fail all the time.

my own story has been featured in money magazine as well as fidelity investments magazine in case you think i am pulling this out of the air. in fact there are a few here that remember reading it and have commented that my story served as their inspiration since it goes back to 2006 i think . TUBORG comes to mind , a frequent poster in the financial forums here.

most folks float like a cork in water to wherever life takes them next without ever really altering the course. it takes lots of work to change the course and while folks talk a good game few put the real effort , determination and creativity in to the process.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-21-2015 at 03:25 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 04:54 AM

i like those shows on 60 minutes or cnbc they have where they slant the show to show all the folks stuggling in some area of the country .

they generally seem the most unmotivated bunch of folks you would ever want to hire. plus their lives are filled with one bad choice and decsion after another as they tell their story .

all of them blame someone or something for their failure but to those of us watching the shows you can see where the fault really is.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-21-2015 at 05:05 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 05:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I hope the fellow enjoyed his life because being rich is nice if you use the money. There is a difference between making money and enjoying the benefits and making money but being a miser. Unless being a miser makes one happy.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:

What if you are PHYSICALLY UNABLE to work? I used a walker for a year, my convenience store job would never have worked out at that time. I couldn't find financing at a trade school. What other tricks have you got?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
i like those shows on 60 minutes or cnbc they have where they slant the show to show all the folks stuggling in some area of the country .

they generally seem the most unmotivated bunch of folks you would ever want to hire. plus their lives are filled with one bad choice and decsion after another as they tell their story .

all of them blame someone or something for their failure but to those of us watching the shows you can see where the fault really is.

So moving into this house with the resident drunk was a bad decision. At the time, it was either that or homelessness. That would have been a better decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics