Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
Although he had a job as a janitor he had been a partner in a successful small business for many years prior to that.
He was just a miserly old fellow with nothing to spend his money on so it piled up. I can empathize with him, I pretty much have no interests either.
But I have a family so the money doesn't pile up. That's the cost of them leaving me the hell alone

I was not aware of his previous business activity; I had the impression he had previously been a gas station attendant, which usually pays about minimum wage plus fumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was not aware of his previous business activity; I had the impression he had previously been a gas station attendant, which usually pays about minimum wage plus fumes.
Some gas station attendants also own the gas stations. Some work the first shifts in a day in public until they get the midshift person in before going into the office to do paper work or even games while on the clock.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:13 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
I have one, but I can't operate it out of this house because of all the drunken drama, insanity, and violence here. The resident drunk (who does not own the house, but lives for free by collecting rent from seven other people) banished my inventory to a storage unit (says I have too much stuff, while he has a garage (keeps his car outside in the driveway), hidey places under the stairs, an attic, and a garage-sized shed). I have to haul stuff out of storage and take it to a friend just to get listing photos, since that is dependent on his schedule, I cannot list nearly as much stuff as I would if I could do it at home.
so in effect you have noooooooooo small business to speak of. besides in your financial shape you got to be nuts to start one , both because of ramp up time and expense.

you need va real job with real pay but since you have an endless supply of excuses as to why you never did and never will have real pay fit for an adult you may as well stop asking us what you can do .

each answer you ever get is just met with a reason why not. then you go off on your tangent about how we have to lower standards for you so you can obtain the things as a financial failure that others have through determination , a plan , and taking control of things in their life..

Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Some people just give up and blame everyone else.

Truth is, it's nobody's fault but your own. You deicide if you roll over or soldier on.

Work harder. Get off City Data and read a book/do something productive.

So make one.

I've controlled my own work schedule since pilfering flowers from my parents gardens and hawking them to people outside the business across the street when I was 10.
There is no way it is not your fault? So things like getting sick, getting injured, growing up in a bad neighborhhod, not being born with intelligence just never happen? If eveyone could do better you do realize all these businesses that hire these low wage workers would go out of business because they would have no one to work for them. You and all the others who believe in the Just World Fallacy have yet to prove everyone can do better but I doubt that will happen because you do not want to discuss logic just your hatefull assumptions.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:03 AM

sure things happen out of our control but most commit their own financial suicide.

in fact even the big 3 reasons for financial failure - job loss-illness and divorce are usually the result of poor choices and decsions leading up to that point. the biggest is not even included and that is children out of wedlock another poor decision if it blows up. .

whether it was having i-phones and cable tv and no emergency fund , lack of insurance , doing things you could just not afford or just floating in life like that cork in water without taking control and making things happen for you all translate back to poor choices and decisions..

'
the actual cases of financial failure that are not self induced are just a tiny tiny piece. while the freemkts of the world think that is their case it is in reality far from it and they committed their own financial suicide through one bad choice in life after another . they just look to blame it on everything and everyone else so they feel better , like it wasn't their own doing..

sorry , but the majority of cases out there are their own doing and not some black swan event from out of the blue.

guaranteed someone else in the same situation would have had positive results. more often than not.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-22-2015 at 03:24 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 04:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
True. There's definitely some selection bias at play. For every guy like this who ends of with millions, there are a million who didn't and who won't end up in an article (except in the obituary section).
Very true.

My father invested heavily in stocks and turned a half-million dollars into $10,000 in his spare time, without even trying hard! LOL.

You're not going to hear his story on the evening news...

Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Very true.

My father invested heavily in stocks and turned a half-million dollars into $10,000 in his spare time, without even trying hard! LOL.

You're not going to hear his story on the evening news...
Someone has to really not know what they're doing to lose 98% of their account balance investing in stocks.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:37 AM

considering that anyone with a long term perspective of more than 15 years likely never ever lost a penny in diversified funds

Old 02-22-2015, 06:41 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? No marketable job skills +no money = typical outcome
You had a college degree, which you squandered. Yea, I know, the excuse is that it was supposed to be a stepping stone but that didn't work out. Blah, blah, blah.

You had a college degree. You chose NOT to utilize that degree, as millions of others did. You chose to end up in a minimum wage job, but are full of so may excuses that's it's pretty safe to assume you'll never end up like this janitor.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
If they were Subsidy Kids, yes.
Haha, there you go again. Remember, you and I are almost identical in backgrounds. I was no Subsidy Kid. But I am a woman and never graduated from college, which put you at a distinct advantage over me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics