Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How is applying for a ton of jobs I didn't get choosing not to use my degree? Those employers chose to not use my degree.
I thought you said you gave up after you didn't get the one job you wanted?

You look for a job until you get one. Instead you gave up. Don't blame others for your failure in life. YOU chose not to use your degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:15 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
How many unrequited interviews and applications (unrequited = no interview) is enough? At what point does applying become equivalent to banging your head against the wall?
I didn't say applying, I said trying to get. By this I mean applying or doing any activity that moves you toward the goal - which includes applying, interning, researching/doing homework, preparing for and attending interviews, doing training, etc.

You should be spending 10 hours per week on advancing toward your goal of a non-menial job. How long? Until you get it or are too old to be physically/mentally capable of the job, whichever comes first.

I have friends that struggled with underemployment for a long time, many years even, but eventually broke out and got better jobs. The single strategy that worked for them all was to dedicate time each week to it, no matter how stuck you seem, there is always something you can be doing, whether researching a company, getting ready for an interview, training, applying, etc.

The unemployed should be spending 40 hours a week on finding a job - in other words, their job is to get a job. In cases like yours you should shoot for 10 hours per week.

If you have no idea where to start, then you spend your 10 hours on figuring out what you can do next.

Never, ever do nothing. This is a virtually guaranteed recipe for getting stuck in a rut.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I didn't say applying, I said trying to get. By this I mean applying or doing any activity that moves you toward the goal - which includes applying, interning, researching/doing homework, preparing for and attending interviews, doing training, etc.

You should be spending 10 hours per week on advancing toward your goal of a non-menial job. How long? Until you get it or are too old to be physically/mentally capable of the job, whichever comes first.

I have friends that struggled with underemployment for a long time, many years even, but eventually broke out and got better jobs. The single strategy that worked for them all was to dedicate time each week to it, no matter how stuck you seem, there is always something you can be doing, whether researching a company, getting ready for an interview, training, applying, etc.

The unemployed should be spending 40 hours a week on finding a job - in other words, their job is to get a job. In cases like yours you should shoot for 10 hours per week.

If you have no idea where to start, then you spend your 10 hours on figuring out what you can do next.

Never, ever do nothing. This is a virtually guaranteed recipe for getting stuck in a rut.

Well right now I'm scheduled at a non-profit tomorrow to discuss a bookkeeping gig. I've been jealous of a friend ever since he got a payroll job with zero experience 20 years ago so maybe now I can start catching up to him.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You've said a million times that you need to move to start your business, which means you need to earn more money for a better place, yet you haven't applied for a job in years?

Why wouldn't you at least apply for better entry level jobs than what you have now, places that may have benefits and opportunities to move up? Why not big companies like Costco, FedEx, UPS, grocery chains, etc that have second or third shifts so you can still go to your appointments?

Last I looked, their schedules conflicted with my medical and transportation constraints; e.g. no transit in at least one direction (second shift gets out too late to get home, no bus to get to third shift, third shift at some places conflicts with my AM appointments. The shippers in any city always locate in places that are extremely convenient for them and inconvenient for people without cars. I checked out a number of grocery chains and they do credit checks, which kills my interest.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I thought you said you gave up after you didn't get the one job you wanted?

You look for a job until you get one. Instead you gave up. Don't blame others for your failure in life. YOU chose not to use your degree.

I have one sucky menial job now; I don't think there is a better one out there for me.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Last I looked, their schedules conflicted with my medical and transportation constraints; e.g. no transit in at least one direction (second shift gets out too late to get home, no bus to get to third shift, third shift at some places conflicts with my AM appointments. The shippers in any city always locate in places that are extremely convenient for them and inconvenient for people without cars. I checked out a number of grocery chains and they do credit checks, which kills my interest.
So, choosing not to have a car and choosing not to deal with your bad credit by either paying the debt or filing BK years ago means you're choosing to miss out on opportunities with some very good companies.

This is why I think it's critical to have a car in 99% of the places in the US.

And you do know that PayPal has the right to review your credit report if you have a business selling on ebay? A very possible scenario would be that you actually start selling your inventory and your PP account is reviewed and limited.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well right now I'm scheduled at a non-profit tomorrow to discuss a bookkeeping gig. I've been jealous of a friend ever since he got a payroll job with zero experience 20 years ago so maybe now I can start catching up to him.
Good luck!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
That's very good news! Best of luck and hope you get the job.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
How many unrequited interviews and applications (unrequited = no interview) is enough? At what point does applying become equivalent to banging your head against the wall?
Do you recall the movie M.A.S.H. or the hit TV show of the same name? Remember its Theme Song?

Suicide is Painless?

Assuming for the moment your tale of woe is true, have you ever considered, given your personal failure to contribute to GDP let alone provide for your own needs, that the world would be a better place without you? Just curious about your thought processes on this.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So, choosing not to have a car and choosing not to deal with your bad credit by either paying the debt or filing BK years ago means you're choosing to miss out on opportunities with some very good companies.

This is why I think it's critical to have a car in 99% of the places in the US.

And you do know that PayPal has the right to review your credit report if you have a business selling on ebay? A very possible scenario would be that you actually start selling your inventory and your PP account is reviewed and limited.
And you are supposed to afford the car how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics