Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I had an experience about 20 years ago with a young woman from India. She had a nice car, nice clothes, etc. She was a contractor and talked about the glories of doing her taxes and writing everything off. She had money left over to send some back to her family. It's only one example.
And a U.S. contractor does not do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Yeah starting with the POTUS.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
WTF are you talking about? I don't see no priority line for illegals at any of the DMVs I went to. There are, however, appointments that people can make ahead of time, maybe that is what you are referring to.

Giving driver's license to illegals is a necessary evil. Why? Because now they can pass driving tests and buy car insurance; it will 1) make the road safer and 2) I can claim for damages if my car ever get hit by an illegal. It's a pragmatic solution to an impossible problem.
The first weekend when California allowed licensing there was a political outreach to get illegal aliens drivers license. A couple of state politicians career's were built on trying to get the law passed. Sort of like the efforts to get people on government health insurance through the affordable Health Care Act instead of other providers

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,811 times
Foreigners have a backup. If they get sick, or unemployed or ned to educate their kids they have a safety net at home, so they can take risks. Americans don't have that. Also, they're a selected group with higher employability or they wouldn't have been given a visa.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Hate to tell you this, but Venezuelans (latinos) are the 2nd highest educated group of immigrants in the United States.
1st place is Nigerians.
I asked my husband who he thought the highest educated group of immigrants was, and he came up with Nigerians right off the bat. He's worked with many and holds them in very high regard.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Foreigners have a backup. If they get sick, or unemployed or need to educate their kids they have a safety net at home, so they can take risks. Americans don't have that. Also, they're a selected group with higher employability or they wouldn't have been given a visa.
Everybody has a family to rely on. The problem begins when the family cannot support a person when he or she is in need. That's the primary issue. But it's not specific to Americans or foreigners.

It's totally non-sense to believe that foreigners have it better in the US. It should be the other way around. You're always best in your own country due to the fact that you grew up in a place. You miss people, and you do not buy family or friendship, even with money. Or at least, true friendship .

Old 02-15-2015, 09:39 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Hate to tell you this, but Venezuelans (latinos) are the 2nd highest educated group of immigrants in the United States.
1st place is Nigerians.
I'd like to see reference on this..... got a link?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yep it's noticeable in the city I'm in.....
Idk how they come here & just seem to acquire so much, so fast....

I will say that some of the people I knew from Europe came here from really poor countries
& now have properties, rentals, etc.

Makes ya' wonder
It's called "working your @ss off" and having a "No F-ing Quit Attitude."

The opportunities clearly visible to some recent arrivals are laying right before many of us for the taking. The difference may rest on the fact that some are willing to work harder for it than others.

Mind you, some of us come to Mainland USA with little. Often, we have no one to depend on but ourselves. And normally, we come from far away lands or territories.

When such is a person's predicament, the only solution is to bear the hardships and, however marginally, become successful at something. After all, it's not like some of us can just walk across a common border and go home, or catch a ride to a nearby relative for a repose.

When a person has no one to depend on, other than her or himself; when the task of returning home is near impossible, often, the only solution is to bear the hardships that will often lead to success.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 AM

416 posts, read 559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
The USA legalizes about 1 million new citizens each year. Hmm I'm not totally against immigration in reasonable numbers. But 1 million new people? . In a country with high unemployment and increasingly limited liveable wage jobs
Er you do realize that many companies are basically IMPORTING these immigrants, right? They are paying for their visas and immigration lawyers. Just like all the spanish immigrants some 'Muricans like to b*tch about. These immigrants are coming here in droves BECAUSE COMPANIES ARE ACTIVELY HIRING THEM. These people are not 'taking' jobs, they are being GIVEN those jobs. Jobs that most Americans either are not qualified for because they lack the skill set or don't want to do themselves but would rather complain and blame them ferreigners or darkies or whatever.

It's not rocket science.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM

416 posts, read 559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I asked my husband who he thought the highest educated group of immigrants was, and he came up with Nigerians right off the bat. He's worked with many and holds them in very high regard.
Yes, this has been known for a long time but because this country is so massively obsessed with race the mere suggestion makes people think you're lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics