Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:27 PM

10,735 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
<<SNIP>>Pay yourself what you want for income, then take the rest at dividend tax rates.<<SNIP>>
The remaining distribution is subject to preferential dividend rates? Are you sure about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem with VAT or a national sales tax is that it is very regressive. The less you make, the more you pay proportionally. I think this is backwards from what we really want.

I skimmed this last page of nutty claims that people making $35K pay more in taxes than a wealthy person. The guy who gets nailed the worst is the self-employed person with an AGI just over $100K. They're in the 28% tax bracket. They pay both sides of the FICA/Medicare self-employment tax. They pay their own unemployment insurance. They pay their own workman's comp. They pay their own medical insurance with after-tax dollars. Their state thinks they're rich so if they're in a state with a graduated income tax, they're paying big there. They probably own some commercial property and their town taxes that at a higher commercial property tax rate. Their effective tax rate is at least 50%.
VAT taxes are not "regressive" by nature as they can be varied or not even applied to goods and or services that mostly/mainly affect the poor.

Just as some states enact or not sales taxes on food, clothing, certain services such as laundry and so forth. Another solution would be to expand earned income tax schemes and or tax credits/deductions to "give back" some of the funds spent by the poor.

Almost every major western and quite a few eastern nations have some form of VAT taxation scheme; yet somehow they manage to provide for the "poor" nor is it considered regressive.

Truth to tell many so called poor often purchase goods and services they shouldn't which is where a good part of their limited income goes.

Walk around any "poor" area and why is you see expensive sneakers, big screen televisions, Mercedes-Benz and other expensive cars and so forth? Leaving aside the criminal aspect of earning money there is of course credit. I can see that someone needs clothing, shoes and transport, but it does not have to be top shelf. Oh and why is it the poor always have money for ciggies and booze?

Taxing income is one of the most inefficient methods of generating revenue for a government.

First you want to encourage that activity (employment) and taxing it only creates either an incentive not to do so (hence earned income tax credit schemes) or persons find ways to avoid paying (unreported income).

Taxing income also creates disparities as often earned and unearned are not taxed at same rates. Over the past one or two decades vast fortunes have been created not the way of old; industry barons or whatever, but by merely paper wealth; stocks, real estate, investments and other assets. At least the robber barons of old could point to something that was physical and solid as a source of their wealth. Today's dot.com billionaires, Wall Street bankers et al cannot say the same.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Use an LLC and elect to be taxed as an S corp.

Pay yourself what you want for income, then take the rest at dividend tax rates.

As for the topic, because the country won't work with a sales tax instead of income tax and it's a regressive, not progressive tax which would be terrible for the economy.
A 5%-er corporate drone like me doesn't have that LLC/S corp option. I have always lived in the world of a W-2.

I agree about the regressive nature of a sales/VAT tax. The bottom half pretty much pays no Federal income tax, as Mitt so correctly pointed out. I'm fine with a tax policy where "everybody has a stake" and pays something but sales/VAT would pretty much invert the effective tax rate between rich and poor since 1%-ers proportionally consume so much less relative to their income.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:39 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,306,997 times
[quote=GeoffD;41019142]Again, Social Security isn't a tax. It's a government-run annuity and disability insurance program where the benefit distribution is very progressive.

I'm a 5%-er. I'd love to have that $37K per year my employer and I pitch in as part of my retirement portfolio. After 30-ish years of maxed out contributions and assuming my investments merely tracked inflation, I'd something approaching a couple million bucks. Social Security exists because the unwashed masses have a totally crap savings rate and would otherwise starve to death if they couldn't work. This is a case of the Federal government saving people from themselves. I'm totally fine with the government saving people from themselves even though I don't particularly benefit from it. I don't feel rich but being in the top-5% for wealth and income, I get kind of screwed by the government pension system in the same way I get kind of screwed in my effective tax rate compared to most taxpayers.[/vQUOTE]

Geoff D, regarding differences of semantics between FICA payment as a “tax” or “insurance”, I paraphrase the familiar response: Due to Social Security’s conceptual similarity, behavior, and the consequences of its behavior being all more similar to a tax rather than insurance, I choose to regard it as more similar to a tax rather than as insurance.

Other than this question of semantics, I doubt that you’re aware that your evaluation of the Social Security retirement plan does not severely differ from those that I posted within the thread “FICA payroll tax; our most regressive tax”. We are not as far apart as you seem to believe.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The great thing about a VAT or a national sales tax is that it is very regressive. The less you make, the more you pay proportionally. .
There. I fixed it for you.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Geoff D FICA is our most regressive federal tax.
FICA is a mandatory insurance premium -- not a tax.

It is not the most regressive -- high income earners don't benefit from SS down the line; most of the benefit is means-tested away.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,306,997 times
Quote:
... As for the topic, because the country won't work with a sales tax instead of income tax and it's a regressive, not progressive tax which would be terrible for the economy.
Lord Squid, I advocate to whatever extent feasible we replace our federal taxes upon net incomes with a general sales tax.

To the extent that we would grant the same per capita income tax credit (rather than a deduction of taxable income) for income taxpayers and their dependents while additionally eliminating favoring of some types incomes or income earners, our taxing of incomes would be less rather than more regressive while increasing our net tax revenues.
To the extent that we increase the per capita income tax credit and pegged that credit to the cost/price index number, our income tax system would become additionally less regressive.

If we would employ these concepts to replace some portion of our income tax revenues with a general sales tax, our taxes and all of the intended tax burdens would be less rather than more regressive.

Currently “on the books” wage and salary earners and their families fully pay all of the taxes that that were the supposed purpose of our income tax system. All other income earners more or less evade contributing their full share to our governments’ revenues.

Among those still striving to eliminate FDR’s “new deal” policies, there are factions that have some regard for our constitution preamble’s mention of promoting “the general welfare” but they question if any social program can be considered as promoting the general welfare and they do not accept the contention that those social programs are also of net economic benefit to our nation.

Reduction of incidents and extents of poverty reduces peoples’ fears and increases their optimism; thus they threaten the status of others that lack confidence of their own self-worth.

Refer to the threads entitled “FICA payroll tax; our most regressive tax” and “Social Security’s justification”.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 09-12-2015, 08:07 PM

If you examine how some European countries broke up "one percent" so to speak, it was done via taxation on land and other assets not merely income taxes alone.

Great Britain in particular post WWI and WWII imposed some very high tax rates on land, investments and other assets including death duties. The results were great landed and family estates were broken.

GB also eliminated and or curtailed certain trusts (such as the fee entail of Downton Abbey fame) that kept funds/assets tied up money and thus kept it from being taxed for generations if ever.

When BO spoke about reforming the US tax code and lowering certain dynasty trusts from 100 years to perhaps 75 or even lower more than a few teacups were rattled.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:39 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
FICA is a mandatory insurance premium -- not a tax.

It is not the most regressive -- high income earners don't benefit from SS down the line; most of the benefit is means-tested away.

You've repeated this many times but I'm not sure why you feel the need to make things up

Quote:
Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax /ˈfaɪkə/ is a United States federal payroll (or employment) tax imposed on both employees and employers to fund Social Security and Medicare—federal programs that provide benefits for retirees, the disabled, and children of deceased workers.
It's clearly a tax

Old 09-12-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You've repeated this many times but I'm not sure why you feel the need to make things up

It's clearly a tax
Do not understand what is it about the USC and the power of Congress to levy taxes that these persons do not comprehend. Did they not just witness a year or so ago the SCOTUS uphold Obamacare exactly for that reason; the power of taxation?

If FICA were merely a "contribution" that would mean it is not mandatory which clearly is not the case. Many have tried over the years to make such an argument and have lost in court time and time again. If you are subject to FICA taxation *YOU WILL PAY* or suffer the consequences should the IRS find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics