Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 10:09 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It's very positive looking forward. Yes. It doesn't need to be that good right now. It's all still in the development and testing phase. So what is your point?
You stated that self driving cars were already on the road and capable of driving in all sorts of adverse conditions. That is nonsense, no where near reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 10:25 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You stated that self driving cars were already on the road and capable of driving in all sorts of adverse conditions. That is nonsense, no where near reality.
It isn't nonsense at all, they are driving in those conditions. They just aren't ready for prime time (ie foolproof).

Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Sure and I have a musical instrument that I might learn to play well enough to play in an orchestra.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sure and I have a musical instrument that I might learn to play well enough to play in an orchestra.
If companies were spending billions of $$$ on your prospects, then I'd take you seriously.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
It isn't nonsense at all, they are driving in those conditions. They just aren't ready for prime time (ie foolproof).
Yes, just as NASA was busily building rockets from 1958-1961. Too bad most of them barely cleared the gantries...

Quote:
If companies were spending billions of $$$ on your prospects, then I'd take you seriously.
Many companies have thrown many billions at unicorns and rainbows. That AVs with certain degree of success now exist is not some kind of final proof or validation; I (don't think it's true but) would not be at all surprised if genuine AVs aren't on the road in any significant number, and as accepted as Google et al. would like them to be right now, for 20 years.

It's that last 5% of the equation that's always the bwitch - you know, the 90-90 problem.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Many companies have thrown many billions at unicorns and rainbows.
If it was a fringe upstart looking for venture capital, or an established company begging for government grants, I'd be skeptical too. But what profitable and established company has thrown billions (of their own money) at unicorns and rainbows?

Do you really believe that Google wants to bankrupt themselves on this endeavor? Do you believe you understand the challenges and what it will take to succeed better than they do?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
If it was a fringe upstart looking for venture capital, or an established company begging for government grants, I'd be skeptical too. But what profitable and established company has thrown billions (of their own money) at unicorns and rainbows?
Seriously? I'll work up a list. Start with the list of Apple's failed products, which is neither short nor nickel-and-dime. Google the history of the "Fat Mac" if you don't know it - a nearly suicidal drive to do it the SJ way, regardless of reality. But for one or two smarter engineers risking their careers, both the Mac and Apple would be in the history books. (They flirted with oblivion anyway, by putting their stockholder demands above all else for the next five years.)

Quote:
Do you really believe that Google wants to bankrupt themselves on this endeavor? Do you believe you understand the challenges and what it will take to succeed better than they do?
No, of course not; and no, but I see hurdles that are being carefully avoided in all the hoopla, PR and fan squee. I've been around this merry-go-round 50 times in the last 40 or so years, and have gotten good at seeing what all the marketing and fanboy types carefully overlook. And the absolute mad rush to own the market is driving even sensible companies to... madness.

Yes, AVs are 90-95% of the way there. No question. No argument.

Bookmark and get back to me next year on that 'last mile.' I'm betting it's going to be a much, much longer distance than any boosters are admitting.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Big companies often spend bushels of money on silly projects. The high tech companies are the worst since they were the ones who were born by lucky ventures. I wonder if Amazon is still spending piles on residential deliveries by drone. Maybe Tesla will eventually make it to the big time, but even before that happens Elon Musk has an endless number of big time schemes. Is he still planning on boring to the center of the earth? Or just set up a colony on Mars? Even with self driving cars, we know Apple basically started over after tossing out most of the original development ideas and the team of employees. Google is not exactly in danger of bankruptcy due to research. In 6 years they spent a total of a bit over $1B on self driving cars but they make over $100B annually.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
How long has Honda been working on the Asimo robots, forty years?

Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
How long has Honda been working on the Asimo robots, forty years?
I think they're up to the Asimo V.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics