Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I am not pessimistic, I am a realist. I believe that although we may not be enjoying the boom which resulted from being one of the few industrialized nations NOT destoryed by 2 world wars.... One can still live an extremely high quality of life if one takes proper action.
How is this not optimistic? Please don't try to tell me my views when you demonstraight so little grasp of them, and cannot even express your own!

I have no idea who will assume power. I would guess china, but they could easily destroy themselves first.
That is not something that our status hinges upon and is immaterial to the question I asked you.

As for the bull**** that is "peak oil" I'm sorry, you are a fool if you ever believed it.

Likewise, it is foolish to believe a "unemployment rate" which discounts you as unemployed if you give up and have no hope of finding a job and/or run out of unemployment bennifits without finding work!

All of this having NOTHING to do with the statement that I asked you to justify:

That a "adjustment period" and not dominating as before was NOT a "long terme decline"
You still have not.

Would you care to, or are you going to continue to attempt to distract us from the issue by calli me a pessimist?
All the pessimists call themselves "realists". It is how they maintain the illusion.

Demonstraight? Really? My grasp? ahahahaha

I said I believed in "peak oil"? You seem to be arguing to save face at this point. Or just to argue. How is that working out you think? Satisfied?

Do you understand the difference between a short decline followed by a levelling off vs. a "steep decline and the millennial can expect nothing but dwindling resources as they grow older". Or do I need to explain it in more detail. It is both a qualitative and quantitative difference.

We had quite the decline during the great depression. That did not prove to be the end of the US however. Now you understand? Plus, I said, "We will continue to dominate, but likely not by the same margin as before". Which would be different from not maintaining any level of dominance. Let me know if you require more clarification on the matter. I'm here to help!

Last edited by shaker281; 03-11-2015 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
lol....

everyone will die. You will suffer. Don't bother living or even getting out of bed in the morning. It's not worth it. You will die anyway, so why bother? Times are changing, Jesus is coming, repent now or suffer the consequences. Remember, dont do anything at all. Just hoard money and booze, hunker down and pray for day light. the end is nigh

Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I do not know OP, I blew my earnings in my 20s dating and racing cars and travel and etc.(stayed out of bad debt though) Hit 50 this year and life and has been good even with changing industries a few times. In no way am I a high flyer as well. Just did well as most I hope did and do and will do.

Enjoy youth as there are plenty of things you can do then you cannot later.

The expression still holds true- When were young we had the time but not the money and when older we have the money but not the time.

You can enjoy self-gratification to a degree and still have a good life. So long as health holds anything is possible.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-11-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Wouldn't it make more sense to have a family & able to work wife. That way if one of you is layed off the other person can cover for you. I can understand encouraging young couples not to be in a situation where one partner can not work or doesn't want to.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
I agree with the OP. and I did with the last few threads where he suggested the same exact thing. you gotta stop making these millennial threads though, because these boomers are like jaded pariahs waiting for another opportunity to put down a whole generation of people because their kids turned out to be losers. of course there are exceptions to the rule, but who cares about those, right? when you hate on a whole generation of people, it just puts a warm, fuzzy feeling in the pit of your stomach and all is good with the world. nevermind the fact you didn't teach your kids work ethic, respect, values, or initiative, so they turned out to be lazy, xbox playing, basement-dwelling couch potatoes. that's not their fault, its society's fault. must be all the BPA in those plastics turning them young'ins insane.

of course the breeders will disagree with not having kids & tying yourself down. most of them are miserable and want everyone else to be miserably because it's the world's fault that their cheap gas station condom broke, now they're subjected to an 18 year sentence of hell....

either that or they value parenting more than financial security or financial independence, which I guess isn't a bad thing either. but before you all jump down my throat, of course this doesn't apply to this forum. most of you are do-gooders with 7 kids and $1.5 million net worth livin' the cosby show life and think raising kids is such a "rewarding" experience, even when theo huxtable skins his knee from a rough basketball game.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:18 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
lol....

everyone will die. You will suffer. Don't bother living or even getting out of bed in the morning. It's not worth it. You will die anyway, so why bother? Times are changing, Jesus is coming, repent now or suffer the consequences. Remember, dont do anything at all. Just hoard money and booze, hunker down and pray for day light. the end is nigh
lol

Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Indeed, many people seem to think that once they reach adulthood it's their duty to start a family. Like it's a right of passage in adulthood. Uh no, you don't have to have children at all. You don't have to get married. You don't have spend thousands of dollars on an engagement ring. All those things are conscious choices that you willingly make. It's expensive to birth a child, raise a child, and put a child through college. I can't say I feel sorry for people with kids who end up falling on hard times.
The advice is not don't start a family, it's don't get a divorce. If you marry someone who is a true life partner you will always do better than you would have done by yourself. If you marry the typical immature entitled 20 year old who thinks they are owed everything, you are going to suffer. Your choice.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Companies around the country are laying off people left and right. New jobs that are created are in Lopane service sector. The days when you could work for one company for 30 years and retire on the patients are gone. Now you need to go back to school several times to get the skills for a career. Profession technology change constantly. You may have to return to school to get another degree or certificate or an even lower level of degree just to get the skills for a job. there's no such thing as going to college and then working and they're retiring. It is lifelong learning now. You could be laid off in your 30s 40s 50s and 60s. And if you don't have enough saved, you will not fare well.

Delay your gratification and focus on accumulating wealth.
Move to a place with a reasonable cost of living and access to jobs.
Do not have a family. You can be laid off at any time and you may have trouble looking for a job. You may not even have the money to get the educational training to potentially get a new job. Your family will suffer and will struggle. You need to cut down your expenses and cost. You need to right size yourself. You need to streamline your life. You need to increase the efficiency of life. You need to embrace minimalism.
Yes singles pay A disproportionately amount of tax. But it's much easier, simpler, then having a family and being a member of a dying class. You will have disposable income. You will have the peace of mind.

Just don't create a family. The government cannot use violence to force you to form a family. Just don't do it.

I agree with this. Right now I'm either trying to find a civil servant job or start my own business. Private sector jobs are a bit shaky now a days.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:02 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Who said you can't live your life now? You are living your life. You just love differently. I'm not trying to convince you as an individual. I'm saying that Millennials should think about what happens when they're older before they bring all these never ending expenses.
Why didn't you just say this instead of you original post?

As some people already pointed out.... saying "don't have kids" is different from "don't have kids you can't afford". "Live minimally" is different from living with an eye on financial future.

One is very black and white. Do this.. don't do that... This response indicates that you can do this and or do that.... but just do it responsibly.

You are saying two different things.... Of course, you original post is quite "inflammatory" while the message of living within your means has already been repeated to the nth degree. Quite boring and wouldn't attract the heated debates you desire.

If you true message is one of living within responsibility, then yes... I agree. But certainly that doesn't sound like your first post.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM

658 posts, read 724,131 times
ok master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics