Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
How did the "investment banks" make out in 2008? Are you sure these are the smart people?
Well crash is whole other dimension.

It doesn't take genius to foresee euro's path to bottom.

Dollar may be worthless too if there's a crash.

You can see crashes and bubbles until it's too late.

Do you see a housing bubble or stock bubble??

If so when they're gonna crash??

I could use a housing crash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
By 2016 EUR/USD will be probably 0.9.

0.8 is another guess.

EU is continuing their QE.
I read the same so I'm surprised that the Euro rallied and is holding up pretty well with Greece on the brink of defaulting. That .9 is was based I believe on European nations freeing up money (Quantitative easing) and the Fed raising the interest rate.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I read the same so I'm surprised that the Euro rallied and is holding up pretty well with Greece on the brink of defaulting. That .9 is was based I believe on European nations freeing up money (Quantitative easing) and the Fed raising the interest rate.
Well rate hike is in the pipeline.

Even 25 bps would do the job.

Euro is all over the place.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 PM

172 posts, read 177,765 times
The USD should fall as much until the current account ist balanced. 1 Euro = 1.40 to 1.80 USD would make a lot of sense.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
The USD should fall as much until the current account ist balanced. 1 Euro = 1.40 to 1.80 USD would make a lot of sense.
Why do you think it's 1.10 instead of what you think it should be 1.40 to 1.80? I believe the market knows more than any one person but just wondering why you think the market is wrong.

I personally wouldn't care if it goes back up to that 1.60 range...it would make my condo in Spain that much more valuable if/when I decide to sell it.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
By 2016 EUR/USD will be probably 0.9.

0.8 is another guess.

EU is continuing their QE.
I understand that the USA halted QE on 29 October 2014. So I think it is premature to say it won't start again in the USA.

Exactly 113 days ago Goldman Sachs predicted the euro would reach parity with the dollar in six months. That leaves them 9 weeks until their forecast time runs out. It doesn't look good as Euro has moved up by about 5%.

However, almost anything is possible.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:46 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I understand that the USA halted QE on 29 October 2014. So I think it is premature to say it won't start again in the USA.

Exactly 113 days ago Goldman Sachs predicted the euro would reach parity with the dollar in six months. That leaves them 9 weeks until their forecast time runs out. It doesn't look good as Euro has moved up by about 5%.

However, almost anything is possible.

QE stopped in Oct 2014 but it had been coming to an end for sometime nearly a year or more prior to. Starting QE again anytime in the near future would be such a radical turn from the current stance I don't see it happening anytime soon

Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM

172 posts, read 177,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Why do you think it's 1.10 instead of what you think it should be 1.40 to 1.80? I believe the market knows more than any one person but just wondering why you think the market is wrong.
The market players want to make as much profit as possible. They don't care whether an exchange rate makes economically sense or not. There is a lot of uncertainty in the Eurozone. Some Eurozone countries have abysmal economies. Many countries and many market players aren't interested in a week USD.

In my opinion the exchange rate is responsible to balance the current accounts. The U.S. Treasury Secretary is constantly blaming Germany for his huge trade surplusses. But he doesn't understand that the main reason for this is just the completely overvalued USD. At the current exchange rate it doesn't make much sense to buy American made products. The products often lack in design and are rather overpriced. When so many domestic made products in the U.S. cost (at the current exchange rate) nearly double what comparable German made products cost in Germany, of course, there is something wrong with the current exchange rate.

The current disparity between the USD and the Euro and other currencies will of course lead to new rejections in the world economy.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
In my opinion the exchange rate is responsible to balance the current accounts.
Exactly. The US has been running a large deficit for 35 years, and a very large one the last 10. The overvalued US$ is what has killed domestic production, and escalated fiscal and private debt, and it now appears it will get worse before it gets better.

In the Eurozone the problem is that some countries have surpluses and others have large deficits, and since they are stuck with one currency, the exchange rate can't change to balance it.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Still waiting for all that wealth to trickle down. They said it would.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ODODp7xQG_...E+DOWN_NEW.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics