Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
...if you want to know the chance of success any given child has,
first look to what socioeconomic level the child's parents are in...
...and then how many competitors the child has for their resources.

Which is why most families with enough resources to do well enough
or to do well unqualifiedly ...will have self limited the number of children they'll have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

or to do well unqualifiedly ...will have self limited the number of children they'll have.

My competitors were the druggies and drunks who raised me.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Oh horse****.

I've delt with MAJOR MEDICAL (keeping me from working) for the last 18+ months.
Fortunately I've lived frugally, minimized my debt, worked my ASS OFF and had proper medical coverage.

I'm even taking the rest of the year off to maximize my chances of recovering to the point I can work again WITHOUT causing further irreparable harm.
And I've ran the numbers, either way I'll be fine.
(did I mention I'm 32?)

The numbers don't lie, MOST Americans are fiscally irresponsible.
Oh, and few Republicans are conservatives.....
Ask anyone from east Asia who knows americans spending habits, they would tell you that americans are fiscally irresponsible. Some of the expectations people have here are amazingly odd to cultures that live frugally. The housing crisis was so not because banks gave loans to people. Banks didn't force people. It's because people took loans they could not afford just so taht they can live in that big house.

Banks simply accepted what consumers wanted in this country. Yet today most people still do not look into the mirror and reflect on their priviledged mindset.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:08 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

It's really not rocket science, is it?

Liberalism blindly gives more to people without asking what thye have done and what they do. When they do not have enough, give them more. They also subsidize single parenthood both financially and culturally. In so doing, they crowd lower middle class labor markets and stagnate wages. But oh, it's all for compassion and good reasons. They want to help people.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Pretty disgusting elitist thread.

If everyone here believes everyone in the USA who is poor is stupid and had babies they can't afford I challenge them to do some exploring around depressed rural communities or some of the poorest urban areas in the country. Many easily rival the third world and are as bad as anything I've seen in Mexico or the poor regions of the Carribean. The public schools are rotten, and corrupt, the local police corrupt, the job markets bad etc. Most people don't realize even on all the benefits most individuals still live in government run projects in squalor eating crappy food, wearing hand-me down clothes etc. If you truely believe otherwise, go visit some of these lovely areas full of "losers" you generally drive around on your way to work. I remember going to work in Newark, NJ and seeing homeless schizophrenics in tattered clothes coming up to my cars and begging for money. Children in nasty rooms in quasi-abandoned building yelling down to me in spanish. Homeless people shivering in the cold. Many people attended food banks and a large amount of people received benefits but it wasn't enough.

Many people in these regions "exist" on minimum wage/EBT/disability and don't have a car or any way to move away as they are too focused on their next meal/rent payment. Also relocating when you don't have a good job with health insurance waiting for you is a good way to become homeless. Of course, when you're homeless or teetering on the edge of it it's hard to study. I actually knew one individual personally who became homeless while in college and his grades plummeted as he spent most of his time searching for low paid temp work and food. To make matters worse, many areas with "high paying" corporate jobs also have unaffordable housing. Your 50k a year corporate job in Los Angeles isn't going to get you very far (and you're still one layoff and a few months from homelessness if you have no family support), particularly if you went into debt during college to get it. Unfortunately in areas where the housing is cheap the jobs just simply may not exist.

To the dissenters saying they should have gone to college? Well we already have an oversupply of indebted college grads. Most jobs outside of pure medicine can be taught on the job. Just making college being mandatory for positions that a decade ago in no way required it is only masking the problem we have at hand, which is too many people and too few jobs due to globalization and mechanization. Most college degrees outside of a few technical ones are frankly not worth their salt.

We should instead work on incentivizing people to not have children, and counter the population decline with sensible immigration. We could also use our tax dollars instead corporate subsidies for useful research and development and infastructure projects, and resell many of resulting products to private industry for a profit. Then we could use our extra tax revenue to bolster our social support system and job training programs to match other first world nations.

Last edited by njbiodude; 04-07-2015 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 03:11 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Why choose to be stupid?

Old 04-07-2015, 03:49 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
because you can't fix stupid .

Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Liberalism blindly gives...
But oh, it's all for compassion and good reasons. They want to help people.
But you KNOW the cause is not all so one sided... Don't you?

Liberalism recognizes the defacto reality of the existence... and yes, goes too far.
Conservatism otoh ignores and even outright encourages HOW that existence arrived.

Bottom line? You can't have it both ways!
You can't bich and moan about all those hungry mouths...
at the same time you set policies that encourage even more of them.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
If everyone here believes everyone in the USA who is poor is stupid and had babies
they can't afford I challenge them to do some exploring around depressed rural communities
or some of the poorest urban areas in the country.
That isn't what is being said.
It's about the parents of them who acted stupidly and had children they couldn't afford.
And the tendency of their children to repeat the same ignorant pattern.

By extension... it's about the LACK OF sex education and reliable contraceptives
and of course ready access to safe, prompt, FREE abortions if/when the other methods fail.

We need to remedy these consciously and deliberately obtuse policies that make
these common sense measures difficult and often impossible to receive.

Quote:
We should instead work on incentivizing people to not have children (they can't afford)....
I agree entirely. Lets do that.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

We should instead work on incentivizing people to not have children, and counter the population decline with sensible immigration.
I don't agree that having kids is unaffordable to everyone, but even if I were to grant such a ludicrous assumption, you cannot make up for declining birth rate via immigration. All you are doing is shifting the burden from one country to others, not eliminating it. Immigration does not create new human beings, it merely redistributes.

Are you saying you think the other nations have some "secret" way of affording to have more kids that we have no access to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics