Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was paying "low balance" fees (for not keeping a sufficient minimum balance) for awhile; now I am able to keep my balance above that minimum.

What I don't understand is why people pay ATM fees. While I'm allowed only two withdrawals per month before a fee kicks in, I make only one withdrawal per month - for rent since my landlord accepts only cash.

For occasional low-value transactions not worthy of or eligible for plastic (e.g. dollar stores require a minimum purchase before they accept plastic), I take cash back at supermarkets as needed. (I usually carry up to $20 and let it deplete before my next cash back.)

Most stores that offer cash back do not charge for the privilege, so I see no need for anyone to incur ATM fees unless they are impulsive or fail to plan ahead.
Maybe you should get a mortgage instead of renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 06:24 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Maybe you should get a mortgage instead of renting.
Kind of out of reach and unnecessary there...

Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
I always wonder this when I see bad neighborhoods in and around major cities. Why not go online and get a job at a Costco or Home depot paying $13.50hr in a nice suburb. You'll be making about $30k a year enough for a nice inexpensive apartment, a car, food, etc.. Those jobs usually offer tuition assistance, you could go to the local community college part time. Maybe when you graduate get some type of administrative job or warehouse supervisor position making $18hr or almost $40k.. Then just work hard and work your way up.

I knew a girl that was going down a baaad path.. dropped out of school, drugs, parties, criminal record. She went back to finish school, went to a community college, landed a state job, went back for a 4 year degree, advanced her career and I think is probably making like $60k now in a low COL area.

There are most definitely people who do not WANT to be poor, but are unwilling to do anything about it. I honestly think some people lack the ability to put off instant gratification for more in the long run.. Its the reason why the new $650 Jordan sneakers sell out with lines out the door to people who can't really afford them. That $650 your spending on new shoes could have paid for this semester of community college.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:06 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I always wonder this when I see bad neighborhoods in and around major cities. Why not go online and get a job at a Costco or Home depot paying $13.50hr in a nice suburb. You'll be making about $30k a year enough for a nice inexpensive apartment, a car, food, etc.. Those jobs usually offer tuition assistance, you could go to the local community college part time. Maybe when you graduate get some type of administrative job or warehouse supervisor position making $18hr or almost $40k.. Then just work hard and work your way up.

I knew a girl that was going down a baaad path.. dropped out of school, drugs, parties, criminal record. She went back to finish school, went to a community college, landed a state job, went back for a 4 year degree, advanced her career and I think is probably making like $60k now in a low COL area.

There are most definitely people who do not WANT to be poor, but are unwilling to do anything about it. I honestly think some people lack the ability to put off instant gratification for more in the long run.. Its the reason why the new $650 Jordan sneakers sell out with lines out the door to people who can't really afford them. That $650 your spending on new shoes could have paid for this semester of community college.
It seems simple here typing it, but in reality that path requires a lot of good fortune. All kinds of things cannot work out.

1. Costco/Home Depot - how do you know they're going to be full time jobs? Odds are they're about 25 hours, you'll have to work 2 of them.

2. How can you juggle community college AND working 50 hours a week? Some people are capable but some are not. If you were sharp in high school it's possible, but if you were not a top performer then you are not going to be an efficient studier/reader, etc... and finishing college is going to be a struggle. I was naturally good at school. I could get off work, study for 2 hours from 11pm to 1am, ace classes that start at 8 am, go into work at 3pm to 11pm again. Not everyone is cut out for that.

3. Do you know how many applicants there are to entry level administrative jobs? In some cases, hundreds.

You have to hope that NOTHING goes wrong. No crazy ex who terrorizes you. No child or parent that gets sick and needs your care. Etc...

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not like you snap your fingers and it just works out like that.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:59 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
You think they haven't tried?

You are probably 1 out of a 1000 (if not more) when a Costco job opens up. My nephew has been applying for over 2 years whenever Costco is hiring and nothing. Of course he gets to listen to people tell him, "why don't you just apply to Costco, those people make $25/hr." Gee, why didn't I think about that, if I would of just applied all my problems would be over.

I always get a kick out of people who say things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post

Old 02-20-2016, 01:23 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
A single person doesn't really need much... add a spouse and the dynamics change... add kids and it is game over for many...

A single person can take that job in the SF Bay Area or overseas... can be mobile and build a career... much harder with a family... have to think about a proper home, schools, support system... etc.

A lot a professionals I'm around in the SF Bay our having their first kid around 40 years old... those grandparents picking up the kids could very well be the parents.

There was a time when a man would never think of settling down unless he was established... my grandparents said it was quite common for the man to be in his mid to late 20's and the wife to be 6 to 8 years younger...

Old 02-20-2016, 09:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sure they do.

You CHOOSE to buy more "stuff" than your income, you've made a choice to be poor.

You CHOOSE to forgo an education or training because you can't be bothered, you've made a choice to be poor.

You CHOOSE to have more children than you can afford, you've made a choice to be poor.

Lots of people make those choices.

Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics