Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times

Advertisements

This time around, gas isn't $4/gallon so it doesn't seem there's any reason for people to suddenly be averse to larger vehicles the way they were back in 2008 which contributed to their first crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
The problem with the American auto market is the high barrier of entry for new businesses. All of this awesome regulation that we insist on having also means that it takes BILLIONS to start a new company. This means the few in business can afford to be lazy and push mediocre products on us. Sure we have imports but good "pro American" marketing and import costs keep those in check.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This time around, gas isn't $4/gallon so it doesn't seem there's any reason for people to suddenly be averse to larger vehicles the way they were back in 2008 which contributed to their first crisis.
No but consumers have memories and those that bought a V8 gas burner just before gas went to 4 bucks are going to have a hard time forgetting that that can happen again at any time.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,542,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I should not have lumped them in with the bunch.

I was speaking primarily about the issue of declining quality that is coming back into the spotlight once more.

J.D. Power: U.S. Auto Quality Slips for 1st Time in 16 Years - DailyFinance
So that particular article talks about US firms in general (which Chrysler is still included in, though honestly probably shouldn't be due to Fiat ownership).

Additionally, GM won 8 segment awards (mentioned in that same article) and the article also mentioned that the US companies were closing the quality gap more quickly than imports.

Basically right now in vehicles there's Toyota - and EVERYONE else. So if you don't own a toyota (BMW, Honda, Audi, GM, Ford, Kia, etc..) - everything else is pretty much equivalent.

Which is to say Toyotas are insanely reliable, and everyone else is pretty darn good.

What has nothing to substantiate any ongoing issues at GM, or anything to suggest a bankruptcy is anywhere on the horizon.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
I wish GM well as many people are employed by them but I've had their crap in the past and never will again. That said they are still the best seller right now so other people like them better than me.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Their bankruptcy was largely due to benefits and costs associated with it, a freezing of the credit markets and very little to do with quality control or models of cars available

Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I should not have lumped them in with the bunch.

I was speaking primarily about the issue of declining quality that is coming back into the spotlight once more.

J.D. Power: U.S. Auto Quality Slips for 1st Time in 16 Years - DailyFinance
You obviously didn't read that article. It states CLEARLY that ALL 4 of GM's brands ranked ABOVE AVERAGE in problems reported. GM also won more segment awards than any other maker. GM's Cadillac was one of the industry's biggest gainers and came in very high at #3. Cadillac, Buick, and Lincoln were also in the top ten best performers. It also states that the OVERALL (meaning all automakers) industry suffered setbacks. It also states that U.S. based automakers improved their quality rankings at a greater rate than imports. Your tale hold's no water.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM

795 posts, read 1,391,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Their bankruptcy was largely due to benefits and costs associated with it, a freezing of the credit markets and very little to do with quality control or models of cars available
Just so everyone knows, this ^ is correct.

What I find funny is how folks argue that the employees are not paid enough, yet it is precisely the high labor and legacy pension/benefit costs that really took GM down. And continues to weigh on other large corps and municipalities (e.g. Detroit).

But this is the convenient narrative. It is very easy to say workers deserve more and the quality of cars is poor. Much harder to apply second-level thinking and find the real causes.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:22 PM

725 posts, read 804,838 times
People complain about the bank bailouts but every single one paid back their loans with interest. These auto companies lost the government money. Stick to german made cars.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Ford makes some really nice cars lately.
Agreed! I love my 2015 Taurus, and my daughters 2014 Focus has been great since we got it last year too. I'm trying to convince my wife to trade in the old minivan on a new Ford Escape or Edge. Frankly, I wouldn't own a GM vehicle if they tried to give it to me for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics