Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times

Advertisements

ALackOfCreativity reports:

"Fiscal conservatism is great when it's your own finances, but when it concerns national finances in a country that controls it's own currency, it's just plain stupid."

It is correct for "a country that controls it's own currency, it's just plain stupid."

We do not live in such a country. We have not controlled our own currency for over a century since we could buy a cow for $20. Now $20 in FRNs will get you five pounds of hamburg. Which would you rather have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
There's a very simple truism that applies in this scenario: what can't go on forever, won't.

At some point the government will run out of private and foreign buyers willing to accept any more of its debt at a low interest rate, and then you face the decision of explicit default, monetary default, or cripplingly fast and deep austerity.
NO!! There won't be a *default*! What will happen then is that the US$ will "weaken" on international exchanges and the trade gap will close. China isn't buying US$ because they think they are good investments, they buy them precisely to maintain that trade gap, which has allowed them to rapidly develop.

Don't even bring Greece into this! They do not have control over their currency, so have nothing in common with the US when it comes to fiscal debt. They function like a US state. The US can always print US$, as many as they need to pay the interest on the debt. Countries like China and Japan are well aware of this and buy them anyway to run their export-led economies.

Quote:
That's your opinion, but it isn't fact, and if you do believe in that opinion so strongly, you'd be best to support a bipartisan deal to balance the budget in a manner that is mild, gradual, and still allows deficits in recessions, because the writing is on the wall as to the future viewpoint of the Republican base (and eventually as these things go, the party) -- using the debt ceiling so aggressively to extract concessions is partially driven by anger and frustration with Obama, but also by a fear of default that is rapidly falling on the right as people reassess how undesirable one would really be.
Total nonsense. It isn't my opinion. The BS political theater isn't even anyone's opinion. The Reps *always* use the debt to extract concessions. This has been going on consistently since the Great Depression and FDR. As soon as a Rep is president they no longer worry about the debt and escalate it. Why do you think that is? They know it doesn't matter. They also know that the US public is ignorant and they can get them all stirred up by screaming and yelling about it on the "news". It's how they play the game. They know people are dumb and gullible, and they know that hardly anyone will notice that they do this same thing over and over.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

"Fiscal conservatism is great when it's your own finances, but when it concerns national finances in a country that controls it's own currency, it's just plain stupid."
I'm the one who wrote that.

Quote:
We have not controlled our own currency for over a century since we could buy a cow for $20. Now $20 in FRNs will get you five pounds of hamburg. Which would you rather have?
Didn't you post the same thing a few days ago? I told you that you could buy long term treasuries with your $20 in fiat money and buy 3 cows 100 years later. Don't you understand that?

Why do you care if the US$ buys the same thing as it did 100 years ago? Are hiding your savings in $s under your mattress? Don't do that...

Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 AM

951 posts, read 1,453,483 times
US govnmt will never pay back the debt in real terms

they just print more money and give you worthless dollars

I feel sorry for people holding US debt

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
passively

Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

It is correct for "a country that controls it's own currency, it's just plain stupid."

We do not live in such a country. We have not controlled our own currency for over a century since we could buy a cow for $20. Now $20 in FRNs will get you five pounds of hamburg. Which would you rather have?
False. We control our currency. The United States is monetarily sovereign; it creates money ad hoc, by spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
US govnmt will never pay back the debt in real terms
Correct, because debt IS money. If the U.S. debt sheet were to revert to $0, there would be no dollars in existence.

Quote:
they just print more money and give you worthless dollars
They are not worthless. They have value because the law says they have value. The U.S. dollar is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government.

Quote:
I feel sorry for people holding US debt
Why would you? You're holding U.S. debt as we speak (assuming your net worth is greater than $0)

Old 03-24-2015, 04:45 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
The real issue is how much we owe other countries. We owe over 5 Trillion to other countries. Most of that being a debt to China if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The real issue is how much we owe other countries. We owe over 5 Trillion to other countries. Most of that being a debt to China if I'm not mistaken.
Incorrect.

We don't owe anything to China. Chinese investors save in U.S. denominated debt. The only country that can produce U.S. dollars is the United States. If we owed China $5 trillion in their currency as a treaty for war reparations (like the Weimar Republic), we could be forced into a situation of bankruptcy or hyperinflation.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:07 PM

105 posts, read 181,852 times
Default Three points....

1) There was NEVER a "surplus" during Clinton's eight fiscal years. Never. At no point did the federal government bring in more in tax revenue than it paid out. Don't believe me? Look at the debt under Clinton. It increased every single year. How does a surplus translate to higher debt levels? Answer-by robbing excess Social Security funds, Clinton was able to mask his deficits and claim that he had nearly balanced the budget, which was almost true for two years because......

2) Congress controls spending and the Republicans controlled Congress and forced Clinton into a budget deal that, combined with no wars and a Dot.Com economy, smoothed things over.

3) The Bush "tax cuts for the rich" benefitted EVERYONE. I am not rich and I received a tax cut. They also did not add to the deficit. In fact, in 2007, after the tax cuts and right before Democrats took control of Congress and ramped up their spending, the deficit was down to $162 billion-or about two months' worth of Obama deficits.

Facts are inconvenient things.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick538 View Post
1) There was NEVER a "surplus" during Clinton's eight fiscal years. Never. At no point did the federal government bring in more in tax revenue than it paid out. Don't believe me? Look at the debt under Clinton. It increased every single year. How does a surplus translate to higher debt levels? Answer-by robbing excess Social Security funds, Clinton was able to mask his deficits and claim that he had nearly balanced the budget, which was almost true for two years because......
Play around with the two formulas:

Federal Balance + Private Sector Balance + Foreign Sector Balance = 0
GDP = Federal Spending + Non Federal Spending + Net Exports

I haven't played around with Clinton's years, but I suspect the answer lies in the Foreign Sector.

Quote:
2) Congress controls spending and the Republicans controlled Congress and forced Clinton into a budget deal that, combined with no wars and a Dot.Com economy, smoothed things over.
The budget deals and GOP Congress had nothing to do with the "dot.com economy." Economic trends are cyclical.

Quote:
3) The Bush "tax cuts for the rich" benefitted EVERYONE. I am not rich and I received a tax cut. They also did not add to the deficit. In fact, in 2007, after the tax cuts and right before Democrats took control of Congress and ramped up their spending, the deficit was down to $162 billion-or about two months' worth of Obama deficits.
Not necessarily. It benefits the rich a lot more than the poor. The only thing that matters is the gap. The gap is what makes someone rich, not the $$$ in their bank account. Inequality skyrocketed under Bush, especially leading up to the recession.

Quote:
Facts are inconvenient things.
You can't talk to anyone about economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics