Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Wawa....
I agree with your assessment. Technology, including robotics, computers and automation, have altered the meaning of work. There are other changes as well. Agriculture and ranching have become consolidated and big businesses. Production is way more efficient with much less labor. Retailing has changed. In addition to internet shopping, Walmart replaced lots of small corner stores with more convenient shopping, better prices, better quality and much, much improved selection. In the process retailing became more efficient and requires very little labor.

Everywhere you look low skilled jobs have vanished and many jobs that used to be "middle" class have also vanished. In the meantime the bottom of the economic ladder continues to grow with a huge number of low skilled, often illegal aliens.

The Great Recession has hastened all of these changes. To survive businesses had to become more efficient with lower labor costs. The economy will continue to heal, but none of the trends that have occurred will be reversed. Not only are they permanent but the rate of change continues to accelerate. This is GREAT news for those who work to get a good education and for those who are ambitious and work hard. It is HORRIBLE for those who want a good middle class salary but lack the needed education, ambition and work ethic.
Okay. So one lacks the needed education,nam iron and with ethic. And somehow that person expects a middle class salary? The problem is their expectation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Yes feel free to deny reality, and discuss "Penis Envy and Butt/Breast-Implant Envy" (notice all the caps?) as your justification for denying that income inequality is real, then correlate it to a discussion of economics.

Here let me help you with the actual definition

Income inequality refers to the extent to which income is distributed in an uneven manner among a population.

Now the VAST majority think income inequality is great (including me). The problem is when the level of it becomes too great. In fact many economist think that extreme inequality harms everyone-including those at the top.

To really see the effects of it, instead of looking at income inequality, examine the resulting wealth inequality.
Wealth inequality doesn't come from just income inequality. Much research shows that financial literacy plays a central role in the accumulation of wealth. The fact is that the same income can still result in great wealth inequality. One person invests wisely and lives frugally. Another person spends money like pouring water. Give it 20 years, the wealth inequality is going to be extreme.

I think extreme economic inequality is an issue. But it isn't just the affluent to blame. Americans need to learn to respect wealth, to have financial literacy, to be a thinking customer. You give people more handouts and it results in people never ever learning how to actually do it smartly. The handouts will always flow. The lessons are never learned.

You just want this to be a one way street. Blame the rich and give more exceptions to the poor. Economic inequality is not going to reduce unless you also demand that people take on responsibility and act like adults. You are not reducing inequality. You are creating a victim mindset, telling the poor how bad the rich are., encouraging the poor to get away with "small thefts" simply because the rich have too much. That's no way to reduce inequality. This mindset is prevalent among progressives today.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
And which generation is that? Since college education has increased, I suppose you could be talking about the 20 somethings. Of course, many of them are recently out of school and lack experience and job related skills. Anyway I have a 20 something daughter and know many of her friends and I have a hobby that has attracted an extended group of 20 something facebook friends. I know more about 20 somethings that I want to know. Lots of them had a slow start especially those who graduated college right after the 2008 crash. Times have changed and that group is overall doing very well.

Lots of people seem to want to use unemployment as an excuse. That is getting harder to do now that BLS statistics show extremely low unemployment in many careers.
The young people today aren't very skilled. In fact these degrees don't nexessarily give you marketable skills. These degree programs think about how to make themselves marketable to students in order to generate enrollment.
The people who have skills can do very well in this economy. Our economy is doing better and jobs are created more and more. I think the left just like to whine because they do not like this system whether they unemployment rate is high or low. The fact that people do better doesn't fit their rhetoric of the evil of capitalism.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Wealth inequality doesn't come from just income inequality. Much research shows that financial literacy plays a central role in the accumulation of wealth. The fact is that the same income can still result in great wealth inequality. One person invests wisely and lives frugally. Another person spends money like pouring water. Give it 20 years, the wealth inequality is going to be extreme.

I think extreme economic inequality is an issue. But it isn't just the affluent to blame. Americans need to learn to respect wealth, to have financial literacy, to be a thinking customer. You give people more handouts and it results in people never ever learning how to actually do it smartly. The handouts will always flow. The lessons are never learned.

You just want this to be a one way street. Blame the rich and give more exceptions to the poor. Economic inequality is not going to reduce unless you also demand that people take on responsibility and act like adults. You are not reducing inequality. You are creating a victim mindset, telling the poor how bad the rich are., encouraging the poor to get away with "small thefts" simply because the rich have too much. That's no way to reduce inequality. This mindset is prevalent among progressives today.

Will financial literacy make a low income person wealthy?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:

If the rich move into my neighborhood, that impairs my standard of living. How is that not bad?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Okay. So one lacks the needed education,nam iron and with ethic. And somehow that person expects a middle class salary? The problem is their expectation.

I'm not sure what that is, or why one needs it.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Will financial literacy make a low income person wealthy?
So your logic is you would try financial literacy if it's going to get you all the way from low income to wealthy? Otherwise you won't do it?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Wealth inequality comes from several factors. Income inequality is something we can correct today.

Quote:
Actually the exceptions go to the rich. All the rules and favoritism goes to the rich. Victim mindset be damned. We live in a reverse-robin hood society. Day after day, the rich bribe more politicians to funnel wealth to them through privatization schemes, tax cuts, legislation loopholes, and reduction of government spending that would help the 99%.

Quote:
The young people today aren't very skilled. In fact these degrees don't nexessarily give you marketable skills. These degree programs think about how to make themselves marketable to students in order to generate enrollment.
Nonsense.

Quote:
The people who have skills can do very well in this economy. Our economy is doing better and jobs are created more and more. I think the left just like to whine because they do not like this system whether they unemployment rate is high or low. The fact that people do better doesn't fit their rhetoric of the evil of capitalism.
Many of the high-paying financial positions are not what I would call "skilled."

Quote:
So your logic is you would try financial literacy if it's going to get you all the way from low income to wealthy? Otherwise you won't do it?
No, his logic was as clear as the post. What financial literacy will turn a poor person into a wealthy person? Enlighten us.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:

No, that's just silly. I've taken a number of financial literacy tests and they suggest I am financially literate, but since I live on a poverty-level shoestring, I don't have any money to invest and grow.

Mathematically one could say that financial literacy is necessary to become wealthy, but is not sufficient. One could also say that financial literacy alone will not make a burger flipper wealthy.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
For financial success, skills matter much less than timing, being at the right place at the right time, and having access to either capital or leverage, preferably both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics