Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times

Advertisements

Most of us still believe in America's purpose as originally stated: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The U.S. hardly provides stability. We are now at 25 years of active military operations in the Middle East and things have only gotten worse.
The US hegemony provides stability of a sort, both economically and politically. Conflicts still occur though when groups challenge their authority.

Been a rather dramatic reduction in war deaths over the past few decades.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Been a rather dramatic reduction in war deaths over the past few decades.
What an awful and meaningless presentation.

Find one with actual numbers... not ratios
And given the rise of terrorist actions... all deaths by such means

Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM

29,822 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Most of us still believe in America's purpose as originally stated: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
That's a right, not a purpose. I can be happy in many countries besides America. Besides that, we as a society consume the largest share of illicit and prescription drugs. So many people are on antidepressants today that it's frightening. We are obviously not all that happy as a whole. I think if our nation started focusing on fixing our own problems, instead of stomping around the globe and meddling in affairs, we would all be better off.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why would numbers be more relevant than ratios?

I believe all armed conflicts were included, but don't know about terrorism. But you can see from this graph that terrorism deaths would have a tiny effect anyway. 15,000 is about 0.2 per 100,000 people.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So many people are on antidepressants today that it's frightening.
A truly insane trend.

Quote:
I think if our nation started focusing on fixing our own problems, instead of stomping around the globe and meddling in affairs, we would all be better off.
Obviously our "leaders" and policy makers are not making decisions based on what is good for the US public. Increasingly they aren't even pretending. We are so confused and divided by the media, that they can do as they please.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
The future purpose of the USA, in North America, is to make every other nation on the planet part of our empire.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
To work it's citizens to death...

I forgot where (I'll come back and cite if I find it) but we have longer workdays and less vacation time now then back in the day.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Talking That's Exactly Right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What purpose does America, and it's citizens, serve in the global economy today?

My theory is, we exist primarily to provide stability and support for global growth and development. We consume the world's goods and services, which creates a demand. This demand allows other countries to produce, export and grow. Without America, there would not be enough internal demand in these nations for this to happen. There would be no other trade partner on our scale to replace us. Basically, if we functioned like Japan, growth and development around the globe would be slow, or possibly stagnant.

Basically, it is an American's job to consume, get fat, and die. We, and our consumer dollars are the carrot on the stick. That's about it. Everything else exists to support that relationship, or is noise.

So what exactly does America do these days? Please tell me there is more, because I find my theory to be very depressing...
No your theory is Correct!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

....so you won't accept statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The future purpose of the USA, in North America, is to make every other nation on the planet part of our empire.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
To work it's citizens to death...

I forgot where (I'll come back and cite if I find it) but we have longer workdays and less vacation time now then back in the day.
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics