Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:35 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times

Advertisements

Anyone else losing confidence in the economy? I just don't see actual long-term business investments; I do see lots of financial gimmickry and reliance on government incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
I never saw it decline in the first place :S but I'm in healthcare, friends are in IT that deals with healthcare, and generally, the recession never hit the midwest that hard...

I see long term investments around town and in the stocks I'm buying up.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I never saw it decline in the first place :S but I'm in healthcare, friends are in IT that deals with healthcare, and generally, the recession never hit the midwest that hard...

I see long term investments around town and in the stocks I'm buying up.
I think the Midwest has been losing ground for the last 30 years. I had spent some time in the midwest many, many years ago. During the boom and well before the recession, I stopped by one place where I had lived. It was a lot less than what had been and a lot less than what would be normal on the coasts.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
It didn't have the boom that the coasts did, that's why it didn't get hit by the crash as hard either... nothing new. I was just pointing out that the recession didn't really "happen" here. Unless you are saying it's always been "recessed"

Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
Are you kidding? I did that 16 years ago.

Economic Wargames

psik

Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It didn't have the boom that the coasts did, that's why it didn't get hit by the crash as hard either... nothing new. I was just pointing out that the recession didn't really "happen" here. Unless you are saying it's always been "recessed"
The Midwest is just a sad situation. Once upon a time it had the world's largest industrial base, millions of skilled workers, amazing transportation network able to reach shipping ports blessed by geography, and where there was not industry fertile land to the horizon. All that has been just left to whither away. Good for you if you are doing well, I wish more people there would be.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
the recession never hit the midwest that hard...
Grain prices and profits soared at that time.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I do not see enough of the long-term investments and too much short-term profit taking by too many businesses in general. It is a fact that the average wage for Americans has stagnated for over 35 years when adjusted for inflation. So, many people are treading water at best even factoring in the present job market. Rural areas are really get hammered right now, with one of the largest out-migrations and declines ever seen.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-11-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 11:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
I think it's all a matter of perspective. For the 1% or to be more exact the 0.1% the economy has been doing great for the last 35 years - their incomes rose briskly, their tax rates went down a lot and now they also control our politics via Citizens United. So all you have to do is see it from the 0.1%er perspective and things could hardly be any better than they are. Who is still interested in the 99% in this country anyways?
As an example - in the AZ state budget about 500 mio have been shifted from higher education to corporate welfare since 2008. That means we all have to pay way more in tuition for our our kids' education but the corporate owners which are much more of the 1% have been profiting greatly by this. Again, things could hardly be any better than this could they?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:19 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The Midwest is just a sad situation. Once upon a time it had the world's largest industrial base, millions of skilled workers, amazing transportation network able to reach shipping ports blessed by geography, and where there was not industry fertile land to the horizon. All that has been just left to whither away. Good for you if you are doing well, I wish more people there would be.
Get a clue. The economy is changing ... and it's been changing for decades, not just in the Midwest but all over the country. Listen to Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, whichwas released in 1985. Blue collar industrial jobs are never coming back because they've been automated or off-shored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics