Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yes they did create all those things by constantly talking about the negative and scaring everyone to death. By the time they are done everyone will be living on peanut butter sandwiches.
Funny how I managed to pay my home off recently, even though I was "scared to death" about the recession. Wooo, hold on I'm scared...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
If you want the media to report lies you would have Pravda.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Most people don't read or watch The News.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM

123 posts, read 97,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Most people don't read or watch The News.
Even if many did, the short term effects of consumer behavior would be usurped by the long term stability of the market, even if people drank the kool-aid that others suggest they are concerning the economy, real estate, etc.

It's convenient to blame someone for what's wrong with America, the world, or their lives. The media seems as good a scapegoat as any.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Yes they did create all those things by constantly talking about the negative and scaring everyone to death. By the time they are done everyone will be living on peanut butter sandwiches.
Your line of thinking sort of reminds me of some friends who are still troops and buy into the line that "the media" somehow created the mess in Iraq -- never really did make sense, but they seemed to need someone else to responsible for their CiC lying to the nation and the world, getting caught and now having a mess.

Same story here, slightly different tune and lyrics. The top dogs have been lying about balance of trade not mattering, debt being great and overspending being strength. Crap right out of 1984. Been going on about that long, too. Since the Great Liar -- re, ah, Great "Communicator," Ronald Wilson Reagan shoved US deep into debt based government and economics, we have been running straight towards the abyss.

Same story D or R. Just like you, they figure bs and fake-believe is what things really run on. So if the "News" were only doing happy-talk, everything would be all better? Welcome to Babylon, soldier.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I heard that it is not a recession but stagflation like in the 70s... (true?)

I think the media just reports it incorrectly and people just don't really understand how the situation comes about.

I saw the mess with the mortgages and all these builders going bankrupt years ago personally. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Your line of thinking sort of reminds me of some friends who are still troops and buy into the line that "the media" somehow created the mess in Iraq -- never really did make sense, but they seemed to need someone else to responsible for their CiC lying to the nation and the world, getting caught and now having a mess.

Same story here, slightly different tune and lyrics. The top dogs have been lying about balance of trade not mattering, debt being great and overspending being strength. Crap right out of 1984. Been going on about that long, too. Since the Great Liar -- re, ah, Great "Communicator," Ronald Wilson Reagan shoved US deep into debt based government and economics, we have been running straight towards the abyss.

Same story D or R. Just like you, they figure bs and fake-believe is what things really run on. So if the "News" were only doing happy-talk, everything would be all better? Welcome to Babylon, soldier.
I gave you three rep points for this, but I wish I could give you fifty. Best post I've ever seen.

Truth is, things are even worse than the masses realize, but let's face it, most don't understand it.

To those in the know I have two words: Bonds insurers.

Right? Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics