Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 06:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Apples-to-oranges. Transactions with the grocery store are voluntary, in that there is no legal penalty for not purchasing items from a grocery store. By contrast, if you fail to pay your taxes, legal penalties will be assessed against you, up to and including the use of deadly force to take your property.

Taxation is not theft - it's extortion.
No, taxation pays for you to have a police department, fire department, and an army to protect you. It allows my mother to live decently in her old age collecting social security and medicare benefits. Some of the things that government does are controversial, but virtually every major expenditure was approved by a Congress that was elected by the people in an election you were allowed to participate in. I don't agree with all those expenditures, but I have the same right you do to encourage my Congressman to vote to repeal all the legislation that I disagree with.

Sir, if you believe that is extortion than your definition of that word is so convoluted that it is not worthy of discussion. Suffice it to say that the average person has a very different definition of it than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Same here.

Only a fool would choose to remain poor and hate those who are successful.
Fools like having pity parties.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No, taxation pays for you to have a police department, fire department, and an army to protect you. It allows my mother to live decently in her old age collecting social security and medicare benefits. Some of the things that government does are controversial, but virtually every major expenditure was approved by a Congress that was elected by the people in an election you were allowed to participate in. I don't agree with all those expenditures, but I have the same right you do to encourage my Congressman to vote to repeal all the legislation that I disagree with.

Sir, if you believe that is extortion than your definition of that word is so convoluted that it is not worthy of discussion. Suffice it to say that the average person has a very different definition of it than you do.
Extortion
noun
"the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."
https://www.google.com/search?q=exto...utf-8&oe=utf-8

As previously stated, failure to pay taxes will result in the use of force, up to and including deadly force, to take the property of the party who failed to pay.

The fact that the extorted funds are used to benefit someone else, or society at large, does not justify the means by which the funds are acquired: under threat of force.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Funny, i have to pay a lot more for the same service you get. In fact some people's very existance cost everyone else money.

Last edited by petch751; 05-09-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's troublesome to be the proprietor of a private concern. Well, how much of that trouble is from federal/state/local intrusions, taxes and regulations and so forth... and how much is just general business-life?
It will depend on the business surely, but in my case it is entirely the "general business life."

The "motivation" was that my wife had a dream and I couldn't dissuade her. Even though all the negative aspects I mentioned have come to pass. Being on call 24/7, constant employee issues, trouble hiring qualified people, paperwork and bookkeeping, lack of income and profit. And this has been a very successful business in terms of gross revenue and and customer satisfaction.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Since Reagan the top echelon has prospered. Look at their wages and benefits before and after Reagan. Then add their golden parachutes and you have lost your argument. The top are greedy takers. That's why people join unions. Who wants to grovel at the bosses feet and beg for a living wage?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Since Reagan the top echelon has prospered. Look at their wages and benefits before and after Reagan. Then add their golden parachutes and you have lost your argument. The top are greedy takers. That's why people join unions. Who wants to grovel at the bosses feet and beg for a living wage?
Why depend on bosses especially since you hate them, why don't you become your own boss?

Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Oh my my, the poor down-trodden rich. What are they belly-aching about this time? They raise the taxes on athe rich so now instead of having 60 million $$$ they only have 34 million $$$. Cry me a river. Please.

If it was left up to me, for something so simple as a speeding violation on an interstate, I would fine a wealthy person way more than a middle class or poor person, that is if we want the offender, either rich or poor, to actually "feel" the fine. We'd have to work out the excruciating details and definitions, but morally, it's the only right thing to do.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 05-09-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Extortion
noun
"the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."
https://www.google.com/search?q=exto...utf-8&oe=utf-8

As previously stated, failure to pay taxes will result in the use of force, up to and including deadly force, to take the property of the party who failed to pay.

The fact that the extorted funds are used to benefit someone else, or society at large, does not justify the means by which the funds are acquired: under threat of force.
So, all taxes to pay for essential government functions like police, fire, and military are extortion and we shouldn't have any government.

Gotcha.....

Old 05-09-2015, 09:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Might be true....but the Reagan Tax Reform of 1987 was FAIR. It eliminated a LOT of "rich" deductions in exchange for a lower tax rate.

Of course, after that "simplification" Congress slowly started putting in the tax breaks for the special interests.

I don't disagree on the rich being greedy. Here in Washington state, the Democrats have virtually eliminated all taxes on the rich corporations while maintaining and increasing taxes on small business and the poor.

Some of the largest corporations in the world like Boeing, MicroSoft, Paccar, Weyerhauser, and others pay virtually nothing in state business taxes, while the small business firms at have rates ranging up to 5%. BTW, Washington state taxes gross receipts....not income for business.

It is so bad that Washington state is being sued under the WTO for unfair tax subsidies to Boeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics