Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,004,110 times

Advertisements

The reason why I'm asking is because, at least in the areas in which I travel, and live I see a lot of R.E. development projects as well as companies buying lots of properties and raising the rents to be sky high.

Do you think the market is going to eventually bust?

I don't have a solid understanding of R.E. as an asset class so please correct me along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,489,547 times
Eventually... real estate runs in cycles. Always has, probably always will.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:35 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,642,843 times
Like all markets, the ones for real estate can go up or down or become weaker or stronger over time. But there are no actual cycles by which such changes occur. It just depends on what's going on at the time.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,076,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Like all markets, the ones for real estate can go up or down or become weaker or stronger over time. But there are no actual cycles by which such changes occur. It just depends on what's going on at the time.
Just ridiculous. History shows all sorts of cycles with surges in construction, buying, and prices and eventual declines in those parameters. Since 2008 construction has been slow, sales have been slow and prices have only recently started to show increases. At least that is the national pattern. Some local areas are completely different. Rental costs have increased over the past few years with strong demand and limited supply.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Cycles are regularly repeating phenomena. A lot of time and money has been spent looking for cycles in all sorts of economic data. None have been found. Markets may go up, they may go down, or they may remain pretty much the same for a while. That's all they CAN do, but they don't do any of it because some cycle-timer somewhere went off.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM

16,986 posts, read 21,662,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Pretty non sequitur statement there.....

RE going up or down, weaker or stronger IS A CYCLE!

Definition of cycle as a noun:
any complete round or series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 AM

34,847 posts, read 30,914,378 times
There are some markets which are overheating, others that are healthy, others that are depressed.

I'm currently looking at condos here in Indianapolis and am amazed at what I can get for under $100k in nice parts of town. Some of these condos are fairly well updated and can be had for a song.

9375 Timber View Drive, Indianapolis, IN For Sale | Trulia.com

I've also been looking at potentially moving to central Florida (Tampa to Orlando) and am surprised at what I can find there to.

I'm from TN and Nashville's RE market seems to be way overheating and the area going through a boom that will probably deflate fairly soon. It's difficult to find anything with reasonable access to downtown Nashville for under $200k, yet the wages there aren't much better than rural areas of TN, at least for jobs I've applied to.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Pretty non sequitur statement there.....
Simple statements of fact. That things which ONLY CAN go up or down or stay about the same are observed at random to go up or down or stay qbout the same is no evidence for cycles at all.

Quote:
RE going up or down, weaker or stronger IS A CYCLE!
See, THERE'S your problem. Only particular patterns of going up, down, and staying about the same actually qualify as cycles. Plain old random meanderings do not qualify, and these are all that is detectable in the record.

Quote:
Definition of cycle as a noun: any complete round or series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated.
See, you said so yourself.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 05-15-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,004,110 times
That is a nice condo. That's priced to sell and it will. That's a price in which you can either pay cash or pay it off fast or even have very low payments over a long period of time.

I would buy something like that and put another $xx,000 into it to make some slight updates.

Good luck if you decide to buy it. That's all I would need. Especially the 2 car garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There are some markets which are overheating, others that are healthy, others that are depressed.

I'm currently looking at condos here in Indianapolis and am amazed at what I can get for under $100k in nice parts of town. Some of these condos are fairly well updated and can be had for a song.

9375 Timber View Drive, Indianapolis, IN For Sale | Trulia.com

I've also been looking at potentially moving to central Florida (Tampa to Orlando) and am surprised at what I can find there to.

I'm from TN and Nashville's RE market seems to be way overheating and the area going through a boom that will probably deflate fairly soon. It's difficult to find anything with reasonable access to downtown Nashville for under $200k, yet the wages there aren't much better than rural areas of TN, at least for jobs I've applied to.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times
Yes. But this time it's going to happen in China. Completely and utterly unsustainable. It's going to make our real estate bust look like a hiccup in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics