Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:51 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's my input----

We recently moved, just cross town. I had lined up a moving crew of two brothers, white guys. They showed up on time, but just did one load, my dh made the mistake of paying them in advance, cash, they took off and left us with a ton more of stuff to move

I found a company that came out, for 3x the amount, and worked 2 hours, then split. FWIW, these were Black guys---ok African Americans, except some seemed to be speaking Spanish??---

There we were, we had given notice, had to be out that weekend----

I spied a group of Mexicans doing lawn work down the street. I do speak Spanish! I asked them if they would be willing to work to help us move. they said when they were finished with their lawn jobs. Then, they left. I thought they were just brushing us off. Then, about 9 pm that night, a group---about 10---came up. Just when we were ready to give up and go to a hotel! those guys worked with us until about 3 am! They worked until the job was done, and even refused my offer of $300, instead took $150, said they "understood the situation" and were glad to help!

Yep, they took away the job from the Americans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:04 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, here's my input----

We recently moved, just cross town. I had lined up a moving crew of two brothers, white guys. They showed up on time, but just did one load, my dh made the mistake of paying them in advance, cash, they took off and left us with a ton more of stuff to move

I found a company that came out, for 3x the amount, and worked 2 hours, then split. FWIW, these were Black guys---ok African Americans, except some seemed to be speaking Spanish??---

There we were, we had given notice, had to be out that weekend----

I spied a group of Mexicans doing lawn work down the street. I do speak Spanish! I asked them if they would be willing to work to help us move. they said when they were finished with their lawn jobs. Then, they left. I thought they were just brushing us off. Then, about 9 pm that night, a group---about 10---came up. Just when we were ready to give up and go to a hotel! those guys worked with us until about 3 am! They worked until the job was done, and even refused my offer of $300, instead took $150, said they "understood the situation" and were glad to help!

Yep, they took away the job from the Americans!

And what most of them do with their money is buy booze and smokes. I remember during the housing boom. New homes were being built in the area my mom lived at the time. At about 5 PM, you will see tens of them at a time rush the gas station to buy 12 packs and smokes. This was an ongoing cycle. That's their ideal way of life. Work hard to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't know many american's who deliver Chinese food on a bicycle in the dead of winter.

there are so many jobs that american's do not want to do themselves.
Yes there are so many jobs that Americans living on the welfare system refuse to do.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And what most of them do with their money is buy booze and smokes. I remember during the housing boom. New homes were being built in the area my mom lived at the time. At about 5 PM, you will see tens of them at a time rush the gas station to buy 12 packs and smokes. This was an ongoing cycle. That's their ideal way of life. Work hard to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
What's wrong with that? They earned the money and should spend it how they want.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Precisely true!

And what happens when you import a bunch of low-skill poor people who don't know english. Productivity declines. Why? Because cheap labor *decreases* the incentive to invest in labor saving tech and equipment. The guy above delivering food by bicycle is a good example.

If the imported workers were *higher* in skill and education than the median in the country, then you would expect a beneficial influence on the economy.

Good point, but eventually, employers will still want to increase their profit margins even more. That's why you see investments in manufacturing despite cost effective shifts to Asia,

Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
What's wrong with that? They earned the money and should spend it how they want.

I didn't say anything was wrong with that. I was actually giving them credit in that post.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are so many jobs that american's do not want to do themselves.
do not want to do themselves or can not do themselves

I am an immigrant but was asked to come here because what needed to be done could apparently not be done by *natives* ...
I am glad they asked, because I like it here and am still here !

Remember the European brain drain in the late 60's and early 70's ???

Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The wiser solution would be to drastically scale back the welfare state we have entrapped a great many citizens in.
You have a completely unrealistic view of the "welfare state". For poor people it is foodstamps only unless you are a mother with dependent children (and they are discouraged from having more), or an old person with no SS. So where is this entrapment?

But... even if we did have a welfare state it is fairly insane IMO to suggest that the solution to a lack of jobs and crappy wages, is to force more people into the workforce which will only make the situation worse!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
That's why you see investments in manufacturing despite cost effective shifts to Asia.
Sure, every business takes advantage of mature technology if it helps their bottom line.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Yes there are so many jobs that Americans living on the welfare system refuse to do.
Single mothers are the only Americans on welfare. They are kinda busy with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics