Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
That bolded bit fails econ 101. Comparative and competitive advantage.
International trade is typically a 400-level course, but what would you know about it. The uS meanwhile has one fo the most educated and sophisticated workforces in the world. We should not be wasting that valuable resource on pedestrian work that recently upgraded peasants can now perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 05:26 PM

244 posts, read 362,193 times
Quote:
We have an easy 50 MILLION Americans we have not educated properly, many of those have the innate abilities required to be great STEM workers yet instead of looking to our own, and finding ways to turn those low income but capable people into national assets, we just fly over to India/China and hire another 100,000 out of the STEM mills...
Education in the United States is a serious problem that is largely ignored, but I fail to see how Indian and Chinese immigration has anything to do with that. An American with a STEM degree will find a job over an Indian or a Chinese immigrant.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 PM

244 posts, read 362,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Well they are intelligent enough to be wealthy, and to take over the world, so.....
Well being intelligent is certainly not a requirement for being wealthy.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:45 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
International trade is typically a 400-level course, but what would you know about it. The uS meanwhile has one fo the most educated and sophisticated workforces in the world. We should not be wasting that valuable resource on pedestrian work that recently upgraded peasants can now perform.

Perhaps I could have expanded a bit.

Comparative and competitive advantage is not restricted to domestic or international economics, it applies at every level starting with who does the dishes all the way to long term national planning.

Look I even included an econ 101 link to avoid a protracted debate...

http://www.unc.edu/~salemi/Econ101/4...nd%20Trade.pdf

any other problems with my statement you would like me to address?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:53 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Education in the United States is a serious problem that is largely ignored, but I fail to see how Indian and Chinese immigration has anything to do with that. An American with a STEM degree will find a job over an Indian or a Chinese immigrant.
That might have been the case at one point in time, but as someone who deals with large numbers of highly qualified immigrants I can tell you with complete certainty the only thing holding back the wave is the limited number of visas. when comparing two equal candidates the immigrant has a number of short term advantages , mostly around pay (yes pay) , terms and easy employee retention for a number of years..
And with so many already here, the culture issues are no longer a real barrier like they once were. I am not a fan of importing labor when we have so many under employed Americans, but until we fixed our broken 3rd level ed we will continue to have problems filling mid level positions.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
That bolded bit fails econ 101. Comparative and competitive advantage.
Sounds to me that that post said America should do what it does best. How does this contradict competitive advantage or whatever theory it is that is supposed to come from Econ 101?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I could have expanded a bit.
Or perhaps not.

Quote:
Comparative and competitive advantage is not restricted to domestic or international economics...
The topic that you are trying to run away from here was what sort of work highly educated and expensive American workers should be focusing on in comparison to recently upgraded peasants in other economies. That is squarely a matter of international economics without any connection at all to the identity of dish-doers at your house.

Quote:
Look I even included an econ 101 link to avoid a protracted debate...
It has been my experience that people who make "Econ 101" claims cannot be presumed to have actually passed or even taken the course. They often have no more than some Google-grade understanding of any form of economics. Nothing has yet happened here to call any of that experience into question.

Quote:
any other problems with my statement you would like me to address?
Yes. Why did you make it at all, given its general state of utter flimsiness?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Sounds to me that that post said America should do what it does best. How does this contradict competitive advantage or whatever theory it is that is supposed to come from Econ 101?
That's of course a good question, one that a certain poster plainly did not raise with himself prior to jumping into the thread. I doubt that he'll choose to address it honestly now though.

"Look, I already told you..."
"I can't help it if you..."
"Everybody knows that..."

LOL.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
99% of the people are getting shafted by the current system, the only people who want to retain it are the ones benefiting from things the way they are.

Last edited by Marka; 05-28-2015 at 05:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics