Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman123 View Post
The common argument against progressive tax rates seems to be that many think lower income people get treated different. Im not the greatest explainer of things, and hopefully those who are will chime in. But I see man false hoods that are taken as fact, and would like to help bring more facts to this debate

The main thing Id like to discuss is how the tax rates are progressive but yet,IMO, fair. For example:

Tax Payer A make $50K a year and is taxed at 15% (guessing what the rate is)
Tax Payer B makes $500K a year. His first $50K is taxed at the same rate as person A.

So why is it so many people seem to think tax payer A has some kind of unfair tax advantage over Tax payer B.

The people at the top pay such a higher share of taxes mainly because they make such a higher a share of the income.
The biggest problem is that half the people are able to freeload off the other half -enjoying all of the benefits of citizenship in the US and not paying a dime in FIT for it. That's the problem.

Everyone should pay something to support the federal government. There is no good argument in defense of letting half the country ride for free while robbing the other half to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
you are right. But to support a growing child's needs till they are 18 is a pretty amazing support structure. I couldn't dream of it back home. But its stinging insult to me that my wife is simply not eligible because of my nationality, despite So its extremely regressive for immigrants.

Anyways, the points are be-labored enough. Lets just agree to dis-agree. You don't mind paying taxes. I do.
You're complaining about regressivity in literally the same breath as noting a potential $4400/month "survivors benefit" for a mere six years of contributions to SS? FFS man....have some perspective.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 PM

816 posts, read 967,941 times
A potential benefit which I don't have access to. A benefit I paid for, just like you and everyone else. Why should an american get it, and I shouldn't? Did he pay more? In the same breath , you argue about ow everyone should pay, and no one should free load. And then you turn around and tell me that I should pay into the tax system and be cheery about being denied benefits. FFS ... think it through

Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,431 times
Quote:
For the pension , yes. For the survivor benefit of spouse bring for a young child. You only need 6 credits. 1.5 years of work.
What you are complaining about as a non-citizen on behalf of non-citizen non-residents is that your survivor benefits are dependent on meeting the same conditions that every US resident citizen faces in regard to their basic pension eligibilities. SSA is not running some sort of benefits bazaar here, and this hurdle of yours exists principally because -- unlike a great many other countries -- India and the US do not have in place the sort of bilateral agreement that would allow for more lenient eligibility. India in that regard is presently in the company of Afghanistan, Uganda, and Yemen. Perhaps it is your home country that is in need of stepping up to put things right.

Quote:
Anyways we digress. Lets leave it at. Some people are ok with parting with their money. Some Aren't.
Since you don't seem to have understood it well, the basic point again was that taxes do not have a significant affect on the wealthy because the 70 cents on the dollar that they get to keep already leaves them with more cash than they actually know what to do with.

Your complaint is not actually relevant to that point. You simply don't like the rules that apply to you on qualifying for certain benefits.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:40 PM

468 posts, read 582,854 times
Taxation is not progressive for the middle - class. It regresses the quality of their life while increasing their hours. It is only progressive for the "political class" notice how the quality of life for politicians under Obama has tripled, while the middle class is now the "new lower middle class."

Consumption taxation is the REAL way to tax. Everybody pays, the same rate. Of course for that to work right, ALL OUR JOBS HAVE TO BE BROUGHT BACK ON US SOIL. No outscourcing to slave labor.
That in its self is disgusting and needs to be outlawed. Unfortunately we have the dregs of society on the hill and they will never see slave labor as wrong as long as those CEOs of the corporations keep giving them huge campaign donation, and jobs when they live public plunder..............errr service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics