U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 AM

134 posts, read 480,668 times

Advertisements

I know a few people that are forclosing on their homes because of this economy and the realestate crash. I hear that those that FORCLOSE will still owe the bank the difference between what the bank sells the home for and what was originally owed on the mortgage? IS THIS TRUE?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,220,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
I know a few people that are forclosing on their homes because of this economy and the realestate crash. I hear that those that FORCLOSE will still owe the bank the difference between what the bank sells the home for and what was originally owed on the mortgage? IS THIS TRUE?
Why shouldn't they owe it? Nobody forced their hand to sign that contract, so they shouldn't get a freebie. Refinancing, maybe. Get out of jail free card, hell no.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 AM

14,058 posts, read 20,291,688 times
Quote:
Yes it's true, you are required to pay off what you borrowed. Is that a suprise to you?

Read this for more info including some options:

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...can-t-get.html

Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,508,385 times
BTW, it is the lender that forecloses, not the borrower!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM

529 posts, read 2,223,218 times
Congress passed a Mortgage Forgiveness Act in December 2007 that provides relief to people who are upside-down and who sell their home.

OpenCongress - H.R.3648 Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007

Brief synopsis:
Quote:
The current tax code requires a lender who forgives debt to provide a Form 1099 to the IRS stating the amount the borrower has been forgiven. This disclosure applies whether it is a short sale, foreclosure, deed in lieu of foreclosure or any similar arrangement that relieves the borrower of the obligation to pay some portion of their debt. If the property is sold at foreclosure or is sold for less than was borrowed, that difference is considered income and is subject to the tax.

H.R. 3648 would ensure that any amount forgiven on mortgage debt secured by a principal residence will not be taxed. The legislation has a provision to safeguard against abuses. That provision is similar to one that already exists for commercial real estate owners and would treat commercial and residential property equally.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 PM

4,988 posts, read 12,702,921 times
Quote:
No, I don't think that is true (at least here in MN). According to my lawyer buddy, if the lender does foreclosure by advertisemnt, which is how they do 99% of them here, then the lender can take the house only and not go after the borrowers for anything else.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,386,975 times
but, in MN-----if the foreclosure is in the paper (legal notice) it is auctioned off at the courthouse. The legal notice lists original amount of the loan and how much is owed the bank.

The bank does submit a bid for the amount owed (it can not submit a bid for more than the amount owed)

If----there is a higher bid, naturally you will not be billed by the bank cuz the bank recovered the amount owed.
if there is no other bid (meaning no bid higher than amount owed) the bank now owns your house and they will try to sell it for whatever they can get privately.

A banker friend said they can go after the borrower for the difference. (I call him a "friend" as a casual term cuz I wouldn't put it past him to lie)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics