Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times

Advertisements

News from The Associated Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
This part caught my eye:

"But productivity - which measures output per hour worked - plunged by a 3.1 percent annual rate in the first three months of 2015 after a 2.3 percent drop in last year's fourth quarter. It was the first time in more than eight years that productivity had fallen for two straight quarters. Productivity had expanded 2.1 percent annually, on average, since 2000."

Not a positive trend at all.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
This part caught my eye:

"But productivity - which measures output per hour worked - plunged by a 3.1 percent annual rate in the first three months of 2015 after a 2.3 percent drop in last year's fourth quarter. It was the first time in more than eight years that productivity had fallen for two straight quarters. Productivity had expanded 2.1 percent annually, on average, since 2000."

You get laid off at your job making widgets....something you were very productive at.....your new job n the service industry.....pays less....and doesn't add nearly as much productivity as our old one.

I agree....not a positive trend at all.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Smart people understand that no job is ever secure.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM

29,819 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
This part caught my eye:

Now that companies are incorporating some of the long term unemployed, and the average Joe and Jane...

Looks like companies are going to have to invest in some merit based raises... Business as usual. A good sign. Not good for businesses competing in the global economy though.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You get laid off at your job making widgets....something you were very productive at.....your new job n the service industry.....pays less....and doesn't add nearly as much productivity as our old one.

I agree....not a positive trend at all.
and the widget makers are pricing each other into poverty even if they stayed as widget makers. rarely is someone going to pay $10 for an app so most are priced as low as possible, or even made free. sure some app makers can get rich, but they are the minorities, same as if someone is a good movie producer,singer,etc. there is always more people failing at business than there are being successful. even the same person sometimes have to fail multiple times before succeeding. ie if a college grad fails in the first field, they could try again in a second field.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Here is how to write an interesting magazine-type article.

State a negative premise.
Find some negative facts.
Use loaded language with a lot of emotional content.
Write at a grade school level.
Add the human interest element with stories and quotes.
Throw in a few extra facts (optional).
Restate your premise as a conclusion.

Be sure to avoid any contradictory facts, such as personal income reaching an all time high.

Of course frequently you will end up with a nearly worthless article, but something that will catch attention.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Be sure to avoid any contradictory facts, such as personal income reaching an all time high.
Or in your case, irrelevant facts.

GDP is high, total income is high. Nothing new there, because the rich keep getting richer.

More relevant data:

Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Now that companies are incorporating some of the long term unemployed, and the average Joe and Jane...

Looks like companies are going to have to invest in some merit based raises... Business as usual. A good sign. Not good for businesses competing in the global economy though.
We have always had merit-based raises, with an annual performance review. I just got the maximum with an outstanding review - but it was only 3%. It takes promotions to get ahead. After two, I am at 60% more than when I started here 6 years ago, but am not likely to go any higher so it's going to be the small annual raises until I retire.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
....It takes promotions to get ahead. After two, I am at 60% more than when I started here 6 years ago, but am not likely to go any higher so it's going to be the small annual raises until I retire.
Congratulations on 60% salary increases in 6 years. That is great considering our slowing recovering economy. You are obviously doing well in your career. I think yours is a fairly common situation. Wage data makes it seem like no one is getting ahead due to small salary increases but many are also getting promotions to higher, better paid jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics