Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

I wonder are there any companies in US that manufacture consumer electronics??

They obviously wouldn't be competitive at average priced products.

But they may have a chance at high-end products.

For example Apple could make Macbooks and Imacs since they are very profitable.

In terms of logistics they would make sense too.

Utilizing automation and robots would be a benefit as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:05 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
There are many job shops in the U.S. that manufacture various critical components of all kinds. The trends in manufacturing today favor small, lean shops vs old school plants where masses of workers labor away 12 hours a day.

Economies of scale, and the offshoring of entire supply chains makes it difficult to compete in electronics manufacturing in the U.S. though.

I work with automation every day. It gets boring. I just accepted a higher paying job working on manual equipment, producing prototypes, fixtures and tooling. Many of those items will end up supporting the effort to advance automation.

I say, let China have the low hanging fruit. I don't want to work at FoxCon like companies. Not many Americans do either. Let the slave wage nations have the low hanging fruit.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There are many job shops in the U.S. that manufacture various critical components of all kinds. The trends in manufacturing today favor small, lean shops vs old school plants where masses of workers labor away 12 hours a day.

Economies of scale, and the offshoring of entire supply chains makes it difficult to compete in electronics manufacturing in the U.S. though.

I work with automation every day. It gets boring. I just accepted a higher paying job working on manual equipment, producing prototypes, fixtures and tooling. Many of those items will end up supporting the effort to advance automation.

I say, let China have the low hanging fruit. I don't want to work at FoxCon like companies. Not many Americans do either. Let the slave wage nations have the low hanging fruit.
You may not want but some others might

It would also add jobs.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

That works for you personally. But that's precisely the problem in America. Most of our population have only the ability to reach low hanging fruit. But they don't want to do it at the salary offered.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
That works for you personally. But that's precisely the problem in America. Most of our population have only the ability to reach low hanging fruit. But they don't want to do it at the salary offered.

USD is inflated in value. Chinese Yuan is also too cheap. Both make it difficult to manufacture in the US. Regardless, the United States must make an effort to preserve some domestic manufacturing. It's never a good thing to be dependent on other nations for the basics. Automation is great and all, but we are running out of skilled hands to set up and program machinery.

We lack the large scale facilities that handle all in one manufacturing, like China has. They have entire regions that specialize in specific types of manufacturing. There is an art and science behind the way everything is made, and the Chinese have come a long way in building the skilled workforce and infrastructure needed to advance their ability to compete. We basically said manufacturing is not worth preserving, and the knowledge is not valuable anymore. China is LOLing...

Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

Apple's Mac Pro is made in Austin.

Motorola did have some phone manufacturing in the US. I'm not sure if they still do.

There's tons of component manufacturing in the US. Final assembly is often done overseas though, so the parts end up saying some other country on the package, but the critical bits inside were designed and built in the US (or some other highly developed nation).

Old 07-16-2015, 08:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

The world is a market now days where there are innovators and suppliers. Why would Apple change when it like 30% of smart phone in sales yet makes 92% of the profits. They are a high end luxury brand in the world. Just as US auto makes have had to change; has so others has little is solely made in one country any more. Future sales are not the US market for much of anything. Even the China auto market has exceeded US in sales and its just getting started.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
I used to install test equipment, and train people in the software I worked on in companies in the US that did this. Theres quite a few small companies that do it. But nothing on the scale of Foxconn. Foxconn is quite literally a small city.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Apple's Mac Pro is made in Austin.

Motorola did have some phone manufacturing in the US. I'm not sure if they still do.

There's tons of component manufacturing in the US. Final assembly is often done overseas though, so the parts end up saying some other country on the package, but the critical bits inside were designed and built in the US (or some other highly developed nation).
The opposite is true, too. I remember looking at TVs and saw one LED model that said on the box "Made in Detroit, USA" but the fine print said "from components manufactured in China". I also have a relative in CA that is a supervisor at an electronics assembly plant, and their parts come from China, they just assemble.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
I remember reading a bunch of articles about Foxconn awhile back. The employees were being treated as slaves--they lived on site in dormitories, their pay (what there was of it) was being sent home to their families and they literally had no way to leave. There were huge suicide rates in the dormitories.

I can't imagine that we'd want something like that in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics