Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have been to Greece and I like Greece also. But when it comes to money all that doesn't matter. Just imagine if a nice friend of yours owes you money. May be the nicest guy in the world but if he doesn't pay it back he isn't a friend anymore. Right. O.K. I am being a bit hard nosed about this I know.
With interest though it may be impossible to pay it back. And we nearly forced these high interest loans on these countries years back and now are complaining they're not paying us back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 02:14 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have been to Greece and I like Greece also. But when it comes to money all that doesn't matter. Just imagine if a nice friend of yours owes you money. May be the nicest guy in the world but if he doesn't pay it back he isn't a friend anymore. Right. O.K. I am being a bit hard nosed about this I know.
If someone owes you $1,000 you have an unrealized asset.

If someone owes you $100,000 you have a problem.

If someone owes you $1,000,000 you have a partner.

If someone owes you $100,000,000,000 you're China.

What your buddy owes you and what Greece owes the central bankers isn't in the same ballpark. It isn't the same league. It's not even the same sport. [/censored gratuitous Pulp Fiction reference]

Europe has pushed Greece to the point where their best option is to exit the Eurozone and go back to printing drachmas. Other nations might try strategic default, as well. We'll see.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:37 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Greeks can't pay their bills unless the IMF gives them money. And one of their bills is a loan payment to the IMF.
So is the IMF giving them money so they can turn around and give it back to the IMF ?

Greece is a lost cause. Let them default. The EU should make the historic move and kick them out.
pardon my cliche- but the greeks made their bed and now let them sleep in it.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:02 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times
for a great documentary on the crisis and all that led up to this point watch this It aired a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lyANbTsniA

I think what we are witnessing is political theater. I don't think Greece will exit the Eurozone, at least not this time. I think a 11th hour deal will be reached on 25th or 26th. I don't know they will come to an agreement on pension reform - that sounds like a point that is virtually impossible to negotiate on.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
On a financial economics board, I read that this isn't about Greece. This is about Deutsche Bank, which has over 150T (that is $Trillion) in Greco-derivatives. Either directly, as bondholders or as counterparties. This was the set-up for 2008, Bear Stearns and Lehman. Once counterparty risk surfaces, and nobody else is dumb enough to let the next payment roll over, the music stops.

Deutche going down will have an impact equal to Lehman going down, is the surmise.

I dunno. But I'm thinking I'd be smart to hoard some 20 dollar bills in the event the ATMs stop working.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
On a financial economics board, I read that this isn't about Greece. This is about Deutsche Bank, which has over 150T (that is $Trillion) in Greco-derivatives. Either directly, as bondholders or as counterparties. This was the set-up for 2008, Bear Stearns and Lehman. Once counterparty risk surfaces, and nobody else is dumb enough to let the next payment roll over, the music stops.

Deutche going down will have an impact equal to Lehman going down, is the surmise.

I dunno. But I'm thinking I'd be smart to hoard some 20 dollar bills in the event the ATMs stop working.
I read that it is about 1/2 that in total. And no doubt it is not all Greek based. But dominoes could indeed fall.

We're doing a Danube River tip in a month, I hope the sh doesn't hit the fan. My daughter was in Greece last crisis. And I had her carry $1000 in smaller bills.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times
I was right on the money... a 11th hour deal is in the works! No default.

Although we all know the systemic problem still exists - it solves nothing but these theatrics just delay the inevitable.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Although we all know the systemic problem still exists - it solves nothing but these theatrics just delay the inevitable.
I just read that there is a lot of disagreement between the negotiating parties and nothing is certain yet.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

All a deal means is that Greece is going to bend over and take later in time rather than right now.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
I still think they can default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics