Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have a feeling today is going to be the worst day for the economy since October 29, 1929. After today, we will no longer be talking about a "mild recession", but a severe depression as has not been seen since the 1930s. Get ready for 20-30% unemployment.
The market will close will to much trading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 AM

123 posts, read 97,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The market will close will to much trading.
Then they will open again and the selloff will continue. I seriously don't get the trade halting dealy. It just creates more panic because it introduces a psychological effect things are that bad that you actually have to intervene and prevent trading from occurring. The benefits don't outweight the problems, IMO.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam72 View Post
Then they will open again and the selloff will continue. I seriously don't get the trade halting dealy. It just creates more panic because it introduces a psychological effect things are that bad that you actually have to intervene and prevent trading from occurring. The benefits don't outweight the problems, IMO.
That is not true. It gives people time to think and to reflect on what they are doing and it gives government and media more time to try to calm the markets down. If the market had been opened yesterday, it would have been worse than it will be today.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 AM

123 posts, read 97,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is not true. It gives people time to think and to reflect on what they are doing and it gives government and media more time to try to calm the markets down. If the market had been opened yesterday, it would have been worse than it will be today.
Yes, but the overall losses will be greater in the long run with trading curbs. It's all academic anyway.

Toe-may-toe, toe-ma-toe.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I get automatic e-mails with excessive training either way. I see I have 8 new messages already.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I saw on tv that citi bank lost 18 BILLION .
An anylist was asked if citi bank didn't see warning signs. The anylist replied--"Yes, they saw the warning signs but they chose to ignore them"-----"There were huge profits to be made and Wall Street was happy"

Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I get automatic e-mails with excessive training either way. I see I have 8 new messages already.
I do too. Text messages. I used to set mine to 100 points either way- up or down but it went off so much I changed it to 150 points. I knew today was going to be a roller coaster with wild point swings though.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
An anylist was asked if citi bank didn't see warning signs. The anylist replied--"Yes, they saw the warning signs but they chose to ignore them"-----"There were huge profits to be made and Wall Street was happy"
That sounds like a lot of money to me and you but to a big bank like Citi, it is a blip. They can lose 10 times that and sneeze at it- just like GM has.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I read that Citi actually fired two guys who brought this to their attention three or four years ago.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That sounds like a lot of money to me and you but to a big bank like Citi, it is a blip. They can lose 10 times that and sneeze at it- just like GM has.
pfft. tell that to the 20,000 people citibank announced they were going to lay off along with this loss, and tell that to the govt's of singapore and saudi arabia, where we got billions from to bail them out. even the biggest bank in america (citibank) doesn't sneeze at a $20B loss. that's a big flippin deal. especially cause if you lost that much this quarter, chances are you aren't going to make it up next quarter. or the one after that...

taking the attitude of this being a "blip" is what gets them into a situation like this in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics