Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM

425 posts, read 389,364 times

Advertisements

Troll much? Bored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,645,442 times
Actually, I'm changing the kitty litter and have been stopping off here between stages for some spirit-lifting laughter. The origins of K meanwhile were as a hipster affectation from what would later become known as the world of IT. You never saw it, then you started seeing it, then you started seeing it everywhere. No Greece. No metric system. Just pop-leakage of a term that the "early adopters" didn't really understand to begin with.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:14 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
It's a typo. I've been seeing them more in larger mass media outlets and it really peeves me. Do we really care so little or are we overworked?
Yep;now days I guess editors are just cut with the down fall of written media. Sounds like someone who watched too many old gangster moves ;really.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:39 PM

7,982 posts, read 7,336,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
LOL that cracks me up! I have an electronics background, and I certainly hope they never use "gig"

Hey, he owes my 4 gigs !

There is a new rock band in my area called 1023MB. They don't have a gig yet.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 PM

7,982 posts, read 7,336,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
In the brokerage industry, the use of M for 1,000 and MM for 1,000,000 dates back prior to the mid 80's when I first came across it. Reason was probably for clarity. Fewer mistakes than if one were writing up a trade ticket and had to stop and count the zeros.
Nowadays, in newspaper and internet headlines at least "M" means million. As in "Player X signs $50M contract" or "IRS spends $2M on Champagne" and so on.

M=1,000 comes from Roman numerals and therefore I suppose MM for a million is M times M makes sense.
C=100 also from Roman numerals and used in the slang term "C note" for a $100 bill (old-fashioned now).
K=1,000 from the Greek kilo meaning thousand. Could be kilometers, kilobytes, or kilo-dollars!
G=1,000 (short for Grand) and only(?) used when talking about money, not shares of stock or running distance.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:12 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,596,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
It was not some sudden pop-fascination with Hellenic culture and history that put K into the place of G. It wasn't even called IT yet, but that's the culture from which the usage was taken.
No, because it was in use well before computers were a thing. As the PP said, kilo is thousand.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:02 AM

12,671 posts, read 8,902,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Actually, I'm changing the kitty litter and have been stopping off here between stages for some spirit-lifting laughter. The origins of K meanwhile were as a hipster affectation from what would later become known as the world of IT. You never saw it, then you started seeing it, then you started seeing it everywhere. No Greece. No metric system. Just pop-leakage of a term that the "early adopters" didn't really understand to begin with.

So you're basically saying you adopted the term to sound hip without knowing what it means? Well, I could look it up for you, but all my references predate the internet so there are no hyperlinks -- they're real books.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
No, because it was in use well before computers were a thing. As the PP said, kilo is thousand.
In popular usage (the context of this sub-thread), a kilo is about 2.2 pounds -- usually of an illicit substance. That of course DOES come from the metric system that is used in almost every country that produces those illicit substances in bulk.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So you're basically saying you adopted the term to sound hip without knowing what it means? Well, I could look it up for you, but all my references predate the internet so there are no hyperlinks -- they're real books.
If you had read and understood the thread, you would have known full well that this is nothing remotely resembling what I am "basically saying".

Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
M=1,000 comes from Roman numerals and therefore I suppose MM for a million is M times M makes sense.
No, it actually doesn't make sense, as while M in Roman numerals is equivalent to one thousand, MM is equivalent to two thousand. Not one million. Like zero, the Romans had no symbol for one million. Later thinkers tried to expand upon the Roman system by writing a bar above a symbol (essentially, an overscore) to mean "times 1,000". Hence V-bar would have been five thousand, X-bar would have been ten thousand, and M-bar would have been one million. Usage of these was never more than extremely uncommon, in part because the more useful Hindu/Arabic numerals came to replace Roman numerals entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics