Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 PM

23,905 posts, read 32,221,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I see a lot of people whining about why college isn't a good "deal" because their jobs don't pay them enough to pay back the loans quick enough...

why do people treat spending $30k (to me it is reasonable cost of college but amount aside since it isn't important) on college differently than if they spent the same money on something else? When they buy a $30k car, they consider what they need the car for, how much of a car to get, if they can really afford it or not. They look at the reliability of the model, the miles per gallon, the manufacturer's reputation. They plan out the associated costs before buying too like the taxes, insurance, gas prices. and interest rate on the loan. If it doesn't all come together, most people don't buy the car. Even if buying an used car, people have to weigh these things.

I get people want to "follow" their passions, well like a new car, everyone wants "more" but they temper their passion to what they can afford.

The same for a house or even a computer or smart phone. Basically anything else that people buy, they do a lot of research into it, ASIDE from college. Why?

Most people don't pick a college based on the reputation of the major that they want, they might want the college for it's name, or just because it is a "party" school. They don't look at the reliability of the degree in terms of jobs market. They don't look how many "dollars per year mileage" the degree will provide (IE better paying job or not). They don't even consider the interest rate and if it is too high, they might put it off until they can pay it. Hell they don't even plan to save a "down payment" if it doesn't come from the parents for the most part.

So why do people treat college like it ISN'T an economic decision? (reason why I put it in this forum instead of education/general debate). And THEN they get mad because they don't have a reasonable expectation of the job that they will be working fresh out of college and think going to college is pointless?

college can be the biggest impulse buy outside of marriage (hoping people don't marry on impulse) and people are okay with that?
I agree. An education is forever. A car lasts for ten years - if you are lucky.

Most people in the US graduate with a college debt that is about the price of an average automobile.

Do I think that college loan interest rates should be lower? Sure I do.

But no one needs a new car. Everyone needs a post secondary education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,607,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
but it went on for four years... yes you can blame their age on the first year, but what about the second, third or fourth years?

you know the saying, fool me once, fool me twice, etc?
AND then some even go back for a second degree/grad degree with no more planning than the first time around?
You know you are just being irritating.

Somehow you were supposed to have an epiphany in your sophomore, junior, or senior year of college that your counselors were lying to you about the prospects of a future job with the educational track you are on? No college is going to tell you that your degree from them is useless, or is going to be useless when you finish it. As a young student, you can't imagine that they would sell you an education that is useless. You trust them to have your best interests at heart, just like your high school did.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:43 PM

10,019 posts, read 7,165,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because colleges are generally chosen by an 18 year old high school senior. Parents tend to let their kids enroll in the school they want instead of giving good economic advice.

But, come to think of it, when has an 18 year old ever listened to good economic advice?
Truth.

College is a lifestyle decision. It's more than buying a consumer gadget or even a car.

Contrary to popular belief, college is not and was never meant to be, a job training program. There ARE job training programs in the trades or specific job functions for those who want them.

When I was 18 I had no clue about what was a good economic decision or not. This was also true of my parents when they were aged 18. It's true for most everyone. Generally speaking college made me better off than I would have been without it, even considering my 35K loans (for a bachelor's + masters that I paid off in 6 years). Without I would not be where I am since my job requires the masters. I could probably be making money in the same ballpark - maybe even more, but I would not be doing what I want to do which is worth its weight in gold.

College is about the experience and the peers and the social network you'll build. The biggest way to waste college in my opinion is to focus on just what's going on with your class material. The information you learn in the classes, no matter how good the instructor, is available in books that you can borrow for free from the library.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,644,400 times
College is where you go to learn how to learn, And to learn the staggering scale of much there is yet to be learned. Some folks just never get it though.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,082,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
College is where you go to learn how to learn, And to learn the staggering scale of much there is yet to be learned. Some folks just never get it though.
Absolutely.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:40 AM

29,947 posts, read 18,777,688 times
Some of us did look at it that way and never understood the thinking that I'll pay whatever it costs to go here when you can pay 1/5th to go there and get as good or better education there.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,141,457 times
It seems to me a lot of people are missing the OPs point.

He is saying that as a society we try to be economical about all decisions. Why buy a new car instead of a used one? Get the best deal you can on your home, etc., but then we turn around and tell people to get the degree they want at the school they want regardless of cost, because you only go to college once.

If we treated college like buying a car or a home. We would go to a community college the first 2 years and then transfer to a state school the 2nd 2 years unless we were majoring in something where a specific university would better prepare us for a career or got a good scholarship at another school. There is nothing wrong with people getting psychology degrees, but if you are going to get a psychology degree you shouldn't be going to a 35k/yr school. You could get a psychology degree with 2 years at a CC and 2 years at your local state school for less than 30k total in tuition expenses, but instead our family and friends feel some overwhelming need, only for college, to ignore expenses and tell them to do what makes them happy.

Would anyone say that if 18 year old Jimmy were deciding between a 5 year old Honda Accord and a brand new Mercedes?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM

18,750 posts, read 8,373,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It seems to me a lot of people are missing the OPs point.

He is saying that as a society we try to be economical about all decisions. Why buy a new car instead of a used one? Get the best deal you can on your home, etc., but then we turn around and tell people to get the degree they want at the school they want regardless of cost, because you only go to college once.

If we treated college like buying a car or a home. We would go to a community college the first 2 years and then transfer to a state school the 2nd 2 years unless we were majoring in something that would better prepare us for a career or got a good scholarship. There is nothing wrong with people getting psychology degrees, but if you are going to get a psychology degree you shouldn't be going to a 35k/yr school. You could get a psychology degree with 2 years at a CC and 2 years at your local state school for less than 30k total in tuition expenses, but instead our family and friends feel some overwhelming need, only for college, to ignore expenses and tell them to do what makes them happy.

Would anyone say that if 18 year old Jimmy were deciding between a 5 year old Honda Accord and a brand new Mercedes?
2 years of a Community college sounds like the right move for many people not so well set on a career direction. I hear Bernie Sanders is pushing this idea via central funding.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,141,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
2 years of a Community college sounds like the right move for many people not so well set on a career direction. I hear Bernie Sanders is pushing this idea via central funding.
what do you mean not so set on a career direction? Why is 4 years at a state school different than 2 years at a CC and 2 years at that same state school? Most states allow direct transfers to state schools. I know people with PhDs that did this route. It definitely didn't hinder their career progress. If people's parents can pay for the state school all 4 years or the private 30-40k/yr school then sure skip CC. But for people that are taking all of it on themselves I think the 2 years CC 2 years state school makes sense most of the time.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:07 PM

18,750 posts, read 8,373,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
what do you mean not so set on a career direction? Why is 4 years at a state school different than 2 years at a CC and 2 years at that same state school? Most states allow direct transfers to state schools. I know people with PhDs that did this route. It definitely didn't hinder their career progress. If people's parents can pay for the state school all 4 years or the private 30-40k/yr school then sure skip CC. But for people that are taking all of it on themselves I think the 2 years CC 2 years state school makes sense most of the time.
Many kids enter college without a solid direction. You don't understand or disagree?

2 years at a more local community school can be much cheaper. For instance staying at home can be a very big savings. If someone is local to a major university, they might offer a cheaper 2 year program there. My kids cost me about $2K/mo for their living expenses at their universities.

In our town we have the best of both worlds. We have a cheap community college, and now a small branch of ASU. Also cheap compared to to the full university.

https://havasu.asu.edu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics