Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times

Advertisements

I've taken my Vespa to work on occasion. I live fifty miles away from work and have two routes that I can take. Over the mountain, (twisty two-lane road, up to the summit and down the other side), or the interstate.

I can keep up with interstate traffic fine, but the bike is running at its limit. It just won't have anything more to give if the situation calls for it. My state allows 'lane splitting' and it sure has come in handy at times. (Got a kick one day when a woman in a car I was passing said, "You can't drive that on the freeway". Told her it was perfectly legal, as I scooted away.)

Don't commute with it much anymore because routine maintenance is required every 3,000 miles, and it isn't an inexpensive service either. One section of my commute includes a few miles with a very stiff cross wind. The bike isn't very heavy and I get blown all over the freeway, (tall windscreen and rear top box). The Vespa is used for weekend fun now.

My Piaggio MP3 is a much better commuter bike. It's a lot heavier and the two wheels in front really helps stability. It just needs to be registered, but have to find the pink slip before I can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 04:51 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
100F and a four lane expressway. Your scooter fits in a pot hole not to mention what you looks and smell like by the time you are at work.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Because I don't feel safe on the highways with large trucks and tractor trailers. I rather save my life vs save a few bucks.
Scooters, to meet the requirements for no motorcycle license, (here in WA) have to be 50cc or less, and unable to go over 35 MPH. They are meant for city streets, not for the highways.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I see teens on them all the time around our neighborhood, not so much adults. I'm pretty sure scooters require a driver's license in Colorado, so it upsets me to see a child I know has not obtained his/her license driving one.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:29 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I see teens on them all the time around our neighborhood, not so much adults. I'm pretty sure scooters require a driver's license in Colorado, so it upsets me to see a child I know has not obtained his/her license driving one.
scooters are underpowered, they don't need a driver's license per say, which is why teens like them, they can driver before driving age?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
It would make perfect sense.

Most of people have garages or place to store their cars.

Scooters are cheap, get crazy MPG and easy to park.

You can still keep your car and use scooter sometimes to commute.

Even you can cut 3.000 miles in a year it would be terrific saving.

Both gas and CO2.
Safety (lack of metal shell to protect you), lack of climate control and protection from sun and rain, more frequent breakdowns and more frequently needs replacement.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
scooters are underpowered, they don't need a driver's license per say, which is why teens like them, they can driver before driving age?
Not in Colorado. I just looked it up. You must have a driver's license. We, however, have a couple of "special" neighborhood families who don't think the rules apply to them, and they'd better hope they don't get caught, because the fines for unlicensed operation are steep.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
here? that would be a death wish. i could bicycle to everywhere easily or walk were it not for the psycho killer drivers.
lots of pedestrian deaths here. my friend was killed 3 weeks ago on his motorcycle, driver did not see him, harley davidsons are hard to see.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:16 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
I'm going to assume by your broken English that you don't live here in the states. Scooters are a death trap in most American cities and our streets and expressways cater to cars. If it were safer I'd definitely ride a scooter. I used to commute on my SV650 (50+ mpg) and would have near misses at least once a week. Tooooo dangerous on the street.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:32 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
I ride my Vespa LX50 daily in riding weather! As a dog-walker, all my travel is super-local (no expressways) and it saves a heap of money on gas, while freeing up our only car for Mr. Zen, who needs it as a pianist.
In my town, scooters are seen very much as adult transportation, thankyouverymuch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics