Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I had a preapproval. The banks still drag out the process and seem to make it as difficult as possible.
Dragging out a process is different than it being hard to qualify for a mortgage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I had a preapproval. The banks still drag out the process and seem to make it as difficult as possible.
Maybe the real question is why are you still dealing with a bank?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:44 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Because your income would be dropping right?
No ,actually we have a higher income in retirement since we have a bigger budget but 80% of it is portfolio driven if i don't take ss.

They like to see income streams unrelated to markets so they discount your assets by a lot..

I may just pay cash and not bother.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's still several points too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The credit standards to get a mortgage are still fairly tight, and with people clustering in urban areas where rates of appreciation are making it difficult for the common person to afford a mortgage, I think this is a sad development for the American dream.
In part, it's the Law of Supply & Demand, which doesn't give a damn about dreams of any kind.

It's also in part the government's fault. Government policies artificially over-inflate the value of housing.

Eliminate Freddie Mac and limit Fannie Mae to mortgages for 1st time buyers under the median income for their State, and bar refinancing, 2nd/3rd Mortgages and HELOCs so long as the tax-payer is on the hook for the mortgage.

Home owners and banks should bear the cost of mortgage insurance, not tax-payers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
In addition, until the mid 1970s, income rose faster than inflation by an average of 2%/yr for the prior 150 years.
You might want to look at the rates of Monetary Inflation and Demand-pull Inflation at the end of the 1st Great Depression of the 19th Century, and during and after the Civil War, just to mention a few times.

I won't even get into regional/State issues and problems, including regional/State recessions and regional/State Monetary Inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I'm not saying that the cost of housing isn't constrained, but it certainly isn't constrained by the inflation rate. It can sustainably rise much faster than that.
That's because your government causes Interest Inflation. Remove government from the equation and housing prices drop to real market levels.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:40 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Not everyone is supposed to have a house .
Before the crash, people should not be home owners were.
Banks were greed little monsters.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
How tight are standards really? It's not terribly difficult to get qualified for a mortgage

My husband and I both have credit scores over 800. QUALIFYING wasn't a problem at all.

When we bought a house right before the crash, we had what we considered the usual amount of paperwork. Closing was fairly simple. This was when our credit scores were about 750 each and we made less money.

We bought another house last year, and the difference in the amount of paperwork was striking. My gosh, I felt like I was a private investigator on my own self by the time it was all said and done. Much more to sign at closing too.

And in a few months, a new set of regs is about to hit that will complicate closings even more.

I'm not saying the regs are a bad thing or that we didn't need better controls in place. I'm just saying that from a home buyer's perspective, the paperwork ordeal is much more daunting than it was 6 years ago.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No ,actually we have a higher income in retirement since we have a bigger budget but 80% of it is portfolio driven if i don't take ss.

They like to see income streams unrelated to markets so they discount your assets by a lot..

I may just pay cash and not bother.

Portfolios generating income aren't and never really were viewed in the same light as earned income

Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I both have credit scores over 800. QUALIFYING wasn't a problem at all.

When we bought a house right before the crash, we had what we considered the usual amount of paperwork. Closing was fairly simple. This was when our credit scores were about 750 each and we made less money.

We bought another house last year, and the difference in the amount of paperwork was striking. My gosh, I felt like I was a private investigator on my own self by the time it was all said and done. Much more to sign at closing too.

And in a few months, a new set of regs is about to hit that will complicate closings even more.

I'm not saying the regs are a bad thing or that we didn't need better controls in place. I'm just saying that from a home buyer's perspective, the paperwork ordeal is much more daunting than it was 6 years ago.

The OP was talking about tight credit standards, the credit standards are not overly difficult. I just closed on a new house and while they do ask for a lot of docs it's simply not difficult and closing took 30 minutes

Old 07-28-2015, 06:06 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
That may be in the short-term, but like stretching an elastic band, it is creating pressure in the opposite direction that will have to be relieved at some point. Rents and the potential sales price of a rental property are connected in every market by a complex but rather unforgiving local calculus. These are not at all separate and distinct markets.
In many cases they end up targeting different market segments altogether.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Portfolios generating income aren't and never really were viewed in the same light as earned income
neither is the amount of the assets. i could pay for that co-op many times over but thems the rules they go by .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics