Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 AM

5,901 posts, read 4,395,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
change yes, harder no...
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...05/698/c06.jpg

Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,644,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
What about women entering the work force? Minorities and African Americans? The Internet shrinking the world? After world war 2, the developing world was not a factor, and half the developed world was in rubble? Effects of technology and automation? Nah, there isn't more competition.
Double-yawn. All that you whine about is merely someone changing the zoom factor. While you see only more competition, the opportunities inherent in expanded production, trade, and job markets have come along as well. The net effect is small if it exists at all. It has always been tough to get started in life. Work hard and stop being so annoying. You'll end up fine.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Double-yawn. All that you whine about is merely someone changing the zoom factor. While you see only more competition, the opportunities inherent in expanded production, trade, and job markets have come along as well. The net effect is small if it exists at all. It has always been tough to get started in life. Work hard and stop being so annoying. You'll end up fine.
I do work hard and I am fine in my twenties. I'm a CPA for a major international corporation. I guess you aren't capable of seeing the difference between baseless whining, and stating real world trends that are deeply understood by business and academia.

Changing the zoom factor lol. I work with highly intelligent men and women from all over the world. Did Jimbo in 1960 even have to compete against a women? Did he have to compete against people outside of his geographic area, let alone internationally? Let's be a little objective about a little thing called competition. Little to no effect? Yeah. What's more impressive? Winning your local high school swim title, or competing and winning in the Olympics? Making major league baseball in 1930 where Joe blow could smoke, didn't have to face minorities, and foreign players or making it in 2015?

Competition.

The days of being average and making it are OVER. Changing that zoooooooom.

Old people can't recognize the effects of increased competition because they've buried their head in the sand for years and the world has lapped them 30 times over.

Anyways, I've got to go cruise the town and get me a soda pop down at the drive-in.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-17-2015 at 05:33 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,508,177 times
Quote:
The days of being average and making it are OVER.
Can you define "making it" for me? It is a pretty open ended term, curious what your definition is for this claim.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I do work hard and I am fine in my twenties. I'm a CPA for a major international corporation.
So, junior grade bean-counter then? Nice.

Quote:
I guess you aren't capable of seeing the difference between baseless whining, and stating real world trends that are deeply understood by business and academia.
You don't speak for any of those people , nor do you deeply understand what the bright ones among them do. You are simply engaging in trite and baseless whining, and doing a worse job of it than many.

Quote:
Changing the zoom factor lol.
Yes, it's a little like blowing up a balloon. As you do that, the balloon expands in ALL directions, not just the ones you might pathetically wish to whine about. There are more jobs, broader markets, and more opportunities today than there have ever been before. What do they teach people in CPA school these days, anyway?

Quote:
I work with highly intelligent men and women from all over the world.
Four out of five dentists recommend sugarless gum to their patients who chew gum.

Quote:
Competition.
Opportunity. There are for instance 30 major league baseball teams today, and career minor leaguers make more than most established stars did decades ago. Your horizons seem simply to be too narrow to have taken all this in.

Quote:
Old people can't recognize the effects of increased competition because they've buried their head in the sand for years and the world has lapped them 30 times over.
Ah, the envy of the small fry. Work hard and stop being so annoying. You'll be fine. There are plenty of opportunities out there for the energetic, just as there have always been.

Quote:
Anyways, I've got to go cruise the town and get me a soda pop down at the drive-in.
Don't forget to grease your hair up first. Chicks still dig that look, and every little bit helps when you're trying to compete with Johnny Cool.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 08-17-2015 at 06:12 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM

im surprised to see that yet again you can't debate the topic and attempt pathetic insults at the person instead.

Oh, and there isn't a cpa school. It's a combination of education, work experience, licensing, and continuing education. I wouldn't actually expect you to know what the single most respected credential in business is though from your ivory tower. They probably don't teach that in old smartass without an actual argument school.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-17-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Can you define "making it" for me? It is a pretty open ended term, curious what your definition is for this claim.
Making it to me means being able to own a home, have job stability and earning growth, to be able to save for retirement in a meaningful way, afford kids, and be able to survive temporary bumps in the road.

To have things in like this in today's economy you often need a professional job, intelligence, luck, hard work, be willing to sacrifice years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars just to have an entry ticket. You often need two working people to do this. In contrast, my grandfather, for example, got this start in life by walking out of high school. Sure he worked hard. Every day....for 40 years with one company. Gm. But there's no questioning the stakes have been raised. This was done for 6 kids on 1 income. Try doing that today.

I don't blame the older generations. I blame the U.S. federal reserve because even ordinary Americans need to keep giving up more and more to make it. So is the world of empire and dollar hegemony.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
im surprised to see that yet again you can't debate the topic and attempt pathetic insults at the person instead.
The problems here are all yours. You simply don't recognize an array of relevant concepts, including for instance any notion of the concept of scalability.

Quote:
I wouldn't actually expect you to know what the single most respected credential in business is though from your ivory tower.
Okay, junior grade bean-counter with hurt feelings, then.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I don't blame the older generations. I blame the U.S. federal reserve...
Good Lord!!! And CPA's are to be respected???

Old 08-17-2015, 11:06 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,401,625 times
I was born in 1943. We didn't have a car or TV until I was 14 years old. Things weren't easier back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's but they sure were nicer. It was a good time to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics