Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I absolutely agree with your observation the numbers are rigged. I'm old enough to recall the great days of USA made; factories everywhere, lots of opportunity for anyone with ambition. Now the jobs ARE overseas and the opportunities are very limited. Check this out: Wall Street adviser: Actual unemployment is 37.2%, 'misery index' worst in 40 years | Washington Examiner
The situation is definitely improving, but is still pretty dire. 37.2% seems exaggerated in a lot of areas.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Constant complainers constantly complain abut something, whether they are millennials or not. Aside from that, I've never seen any evidence that any class of people "constantly complains" about anything in particular.

You might as well ask "Why do the rich constantly complain about the poor failing to display enough gratitude to the rich for running the economy they way they do?"

Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
My granddaughter is 22 yrs old and is working 40 hrs a week...She's a fantastic artist and wanted to go to Art school but the cost was enormous and so she managed to get a job at a neighborhood Deli. The owner is the nicest and he takes care of the neighborhood kids by giving them the work as LONG as they are willing to work.

Prior to the Deli she worked in retail! You do what you have to do especially when you have a car payment and insurance. :-)

Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
All millennials are not the same. The "lucky" millennials graduated before the recession and have likely had solid careers. The youngest millennials are graduating now and are likely getting jobs. The screwed millennials graduated 2008-2011 and got bad jobs if at all and are now being passed over for their younger peers.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
How about the ideas here Build a New Hudson River Tunnel - A Thread that Will Anger Left and Right for work for millenials? They're young, strong and smart enough.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
All millennials are not the same. The "lucky" millennials graduated before the recession and have likely had solid careers. The youngest millennials are graduating now and are likely getting jobs. The screwed millennials graduated 2008-2011 and got bad jobs if at all and are now being passed over for their younger peers.
As someone who graduated in 2011, I can attest to this observation. Personally I am doing well although the post-graduate surveys published by my undergrad business school indicate I am within just 6.5% that landed a career specific to my degree. The 2008-2011 budget crises altered the hiring landscape for the years to follow, and those exiting school during this time were met with acute difficulty.

I can also agree with the lazy entitled narcissistic persona that the millennial generation has created for itself. I’m often ashamed to be associated to this generation for that very reason. Many of my college friends still live at home, jumping from one <$15/hr job to another, complaining about how they’re “screwed” yet they spend copious amounts of time on Facebook and playing video games. As if four years of schooling entitles you to $75k/yr for life.

Can you tell I’m frustrated with my own generation?

Old 08-17-2015, 03:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
As someone who graduated in 2011, I can attest to this observation. Personally I am doing well although the post-graduate surveys published by my undergrad business school indicate I am within just 6.5% that landed a career specific to my degree. The 2008-2011 budget crises altered the hiring landscape for the years to follow, and those exiting school during this time were met with acute difficulty.

I can also agree with the lazy entitled narcissistic persona that the millennial generation has created for itself. I’m often ashamed to be associated to this generation for that very reason. Many of my college friends still live at home, jumping from one <$15/hr job to another, complaining about how they’re “screwed” yet they spend copious amounts of time on Facebook and playing video games. As if four years of schooling entitles you to $75k/yr for life.

Can you tell I’m frustrated with my own generation?
I am too but there are only so many $75k jobs, I think they want just full time positions and there aren't enough to go around despite how many have been created the last year and a half.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper View Post
There are always jobs out there. When I was 25 I went to the local IBM office in Silicon Valley and, knowing the secretary from college, knew she was unmarried. As a result I offered the secretary flowers and bought a fine bottle of Brandy for the VP at the time. After a good conversation I was offered a senior management position on the spot. You have to show your worth and play your cards right kid.
Using bribery to cut to the front of the line is "showing your worth"?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper View Post
It seems a lot of younger kids on here complain about student debt and not being able to find a decent job. My guess is they're just not working hard enough or smart enough. I was able to obtain my MBA and become an IBM Senior Manager at 25 in 1959 and work my way up to Director in 1961 and VP in 1964. I did it by working as a drive in theater manager after I graduated college in 1957 and I stayed at IBM for 40 years.
Perhaps you kids shouldn't job hop and say in 1 career for decades. You have to make yourself irreplaceable. You will earn the company's respect and be able to retire with a pension just like I did.
A couple of things, no one is staying at jobs like you did for 40 years. Second when someone is having student loans come due and the best they can find is a low paying job, they're in a bind.

Third, and most important you do realize the unemployment numbers aren't accurate? Maybe you don't and believe everything you're told. That all states have cut way back on the number of weeks of unemployment, and once those people fall off the roll, they're no longer counted, nor are people who have stopped looking, or those who work part time.

An example, the Gov. of FL Rick Scott is boasting how much FL's unemployment rate has dropped drastically, what he leaves out is FL now only allows 14 weeks of UE benefits. So of course you see a big drop.

I'm not a millennial, but I do feel for them.

The time period you came of age in no longer exists.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm one of those... University of South Florida, class of 2011. The years have definitely been hard with many employment troubles. My graduating year was so bleak that all the professors could do was wish us the best. I remember all the school publications spread around the campus blaring how less than half of us would find jobs, and they were right.

The graduates post 2012 have certainly fared better. I see that even in my own friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics