Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:28 AM

17 posts, read 23,374 times

Advertisements

It seems a lot of younger kids on here complain about student debt and not being able to find a decent job. My guess is they're just not working hard enough or smart enough. I was able to obtain my MBA and become an IBM Senior Manager at 25 in 1959 and work my way up to Director in 1961 and VP in 1964. I did it by working as a drive in theater manager after I graduated college in 1957 and I stayed at IBM for 40 years.
Perhaps you kids shouldn't job hop and say in 1 career for decades. You have to make yourself irreplaceable. You will earn the company's respect and be able to retire with a pension just like I did.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:31 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
This millennial doesn't complain about lack of jobs (at the moment).

Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Neither does this one. I'm doing perfectly fine

Old 08-13-2015, 10:35 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
Because it's always easier to blame someone other than themselves.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
DB Cooper,
It's not like that anymore. Companies don't value human beings anymore, loyalty means nothing, only the bottom line.
It's a whole different world now, a global business world.
You get paid for what you know, not what you do.
You are competing for jobs from the entire global community, so if someone in India will take 30K less,
for the job that you want, they will hire in India instead.
Get it?
That is the problem.
They will keep you til they can pay someone cheaper to do the same job, then they lay you off.
That is what the job market is like now.
No more getting a job with a good company and staying for 30 years, unless you happen
to know a hands on job, PHYSCIALLY having to do the job in the USA.
Like auto mechanic, maintaince, some job that you have to hire here in US.
It's a global economy now, and the young people know this, and the entire work life has
changed drastically.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
DB Cooper,
It's not like that anymore. Companies don't value human beings anymore, loyalty means nothing, only the bottom line.
It's a whole different world now, a global business world.
You get paid for what you know, not what you do.
You are competing for jobs from the entire global community, so if someone in India will take 30K less,
for the job that you want, they will hire in India instead.
Get it?
That is the problem.
They will keep you til they can pay someone cheaper to do the same job, then they lay you off.
That is what the job market is like now.
No more getting a job with a good company and staying for 30 years, unless you happen
to know a hands on job, PHYSCIALLY having to do the job in the USA.
Like auto mechanic, maintaince, some job that you have to hire here in US.
It's a global economy now, and the young people know this, and the entire work life has
changed drastically.
There are always jobs out there. When I was 25 I went to the local IBM office in Silicon Valley and, knowing the secretary from college, knew she was unmarried. As a result I offered the secretary flowers and bought a fine bottle of Brandy for the VP at the time. After a good conversation I was offered a senior management position on the spot. You have to show your worth and play your cards right kid.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:50 AM

816 posts, read 967,640 times
This is a common thread. I agree whole-heartedly with Butterfly4u.
I think, the income histogram is shifting. Although people have jobs, their pay is less meaningful. You have to do more, compete with a wider labor-pool. And the rewards for many are just not enough. Its uncertainty about financial futures. Its a very fast paced world, with India and China at the heels of American low-mid wage workers. Thats 2 Billion people and more. There has been staggering growth in those two economies in the last 2 decades.

If you are selling something to those people, you are doing really well. But if your skill set is easily transferrable to those countries, You can never rest.

People in certain industries are doing fairly well, Its millennials driving the tech boom and gorging on it. But others may not be so lucky.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:51 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Well some of them are ticked off because they don't start at the top of the firm being paid an enormous salary for doing not much of anything. They seem to think they deserve a 6 figure salary for working a 30 hour week, and never working overtime, weekends, or holidays.

All those gold stars in school for "just because" and the real world doesn't seem to understand how important they are.

Not all of tbem, of course. Those willing to work for prevailing wages are working.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:54 AM

816 posts, read 967,640 times
The bar has moved considerably higher since. I don't think flowers/ a bottle of booze gets you too far in silicon valley these days.
You must have had something else to offer. At least thats what would be required of you , if you tried waltzing into Apple/Google/Facebook... etc.

But sure, there are jobs indeed out there. But I still think that the standard of competition and its scale is tougher and higher. And it will keep getting that way.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
The bar has moved considerably higher since. I don't think flowers/ a bottle of booze gets you too far in silicon valley these days.
You must have had something else to offer. At least thats what would be required of you , if you tried waltzing into Apple/Google/Facebook... etc.

But sure, there are jobs indeed out there. But I still think that the standard of competition and its scale is tougher and higher. And it will keep getting that way.
If anything its easier. You don't even need to bribe them. The key now is to vaguely talk about "innovation" and having a "product of the future". Tesla has gotten billions in market cap with the same tag line and no profits. Jokes aside, you just have to sweet talk them and be innovative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics