Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times

Advertisements

L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers
Correspondence log between my son and myself regarding a link to Los Angeles Times article; "L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers".

2:21 AM, 16Aug2015 Email response from my son:
Of course he's a hypocrite, but he isn't a fool. He's serving himself. He's keeping an issue on the table that requires his continued guidance. I see absolutely no other reason he would offer a break to businesses he's worked hard to force higher minimum wages upon.
Regarding the "benefit" to restaurantuers, there are is no real business benefit to $15/hr. waiters. Most of the smaller restaurants will go out of business because of this. Fewer restaurants will open. The additional expense is huge. Restaurant hours will also grow shorter as operators look to save on wages. I see this in Spain in particular. Over there everyone is paid a fair wage and there is no tipping. But people don't just open a restaurant every day. In fact they rarely open anything. The bureaucracy and expense of starting anything is stifling. This is the trade-off.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

10:24 PM, 15Aug2015 Email to my son:
John, you missed the point of Rusty Hick’s concern; although I suppose we both disagree with his logic and priorities.
He’s concerned about trying to organize restaurant workers. This $15/Hr. will be the city of Los Angeles’s minimum wage rate. He’s struggling to organize restaurant workers that receive a substantial portion of the incomes due to tips. He’s looking for an edge to help him unionize non-union restaurants.

Whatever is or will be the City’s minimum rate, City enterprises will be at no disadvantage among themselves but they will be at a disadvantage to enterprises beyond the city’s borders. The clientele of most LA food service enterprises have cars and they expect to drive. His false logic is to give those LA enterprises a “break”.

To my mind if LA enterprises must pay more for their help, their enterprise can attract higher caliber of workers. Currently there’s a practical limit upon how many waiters and bus boys those food service enterprises can hire. Workers more dependent upon tips will not show up to work where there are too many waiters for the number of dinners they serve. Low wage industries’ employee turnover is a considerable business expense.

I believe that Rusty Hick’s negotiating against the unions, their current members and the potential members he wishes to recruit. He’s being correctly perceived as both a hypocrite and a fool.

Love, Poppa
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
5:44 PM, 15Aug2015 Email response from my son:
You've missed the point. Rusty is a labor organizer. If wages are adequate many laborers will feel no pressure to unionize. But if unionization leaves open the ability to reduce wages, employers will thrust employees into the unions. He's turning the Chamber of Commerce into his marketing department. The guy is a scumbag.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

4:17 PM, 15Aug2015; excerpted from my attempted Email transmission to (Los Angeles County Federation of Labor; blind cc’d to my son:
Regarding: Rusty Hicks and the minimum wage rate.
Refer to:
L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers - LA Times
I’m a participant within as many internet political and economic forums that I can find. I hope this link that I encountered is a hoax. Otherwise the “County Federation of Labor” and “Rusty Hicks in particular are what in my childhood was referred as “fifth columnists”. Either the federation’s leaders are fools or you’re all deliberately striving to undermine the very purposes of organized labor.
Organized labor did not recognize or more strongly oppose criminal corruption within USA’s labor organizations that eventually contributed to the eventual passage of the Taft-Hartley Act.
This is similar to the strategic logic that lead U.S. labor organizations’ not opposing Reagan using military personal to destroy the air controllers’ union and to attempting to appear as “super patriots” by supporting U.S. VietNam war. Those efforts were additionally detrimental to all labor unions and to our entire nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics