Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times

Advertisements

Yes the economy has been robust for the most part as America has a great bench !! What I mean is that the varsity ( Fortune 500 ) can have a soft quarter yet other segments can carry the ball until the bell rings positive. ! The underling problems with the international monetary system and supporting markets are a concern and naturally the US debt possibly as high as 100+ trillion with cash debt still around 19 trillion ( one must add entitlements). Consumer debt is about 5 trillion and can never be repaid. We may see the feds increasing the interest rate soon. My mapping as many know is a combination of Hebrew cycles like Shemitah (Jonathan Cahn,) exacerbated by Harbingers , lunar and solar eclipses. Secondly, we tap into market guru's, Wall Street, charts, trends, trading newsletters, Money mag., Fox Business, Mad, and many resources at the library mag rack. The cliff may present its ugly face in September around the 13th?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:02 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...you just really proved you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ever hear of the 1920s followed by the Great Depression, probably not. Well to educate you people also spent like there was no tomorrow.

I bolded the part where it proves you don't know anything about economics.

People today go into debt(and especially young people)because they have to have what they want right away, not because they think the economy is good.

Are you a foreigner? BTW you don't buy a car unless you're paying for it in cash in full the day you drive off the lot, not $700 a month car payments.
That car buying part is right. You think the car is yours which is not when its on note. By the time the person is finished paying the car note the vehicle is detoriated.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
Done has to the table to differentiate between the effects of an economy based upon growing savings and growing, secured wages ( e g. 1950s - 1980s), and one based upon growing debt and sinking wages with no job security (1990s - present).

The former form of economy nets an independent existence with a secured retirement.

The latter makes the individual and family life-long serfs with zero security.

Those who argue that the current economy is fine can also argue that the there is merit to slavery (I believe the modern word is internship).

Old 09-05-2015, 06:26 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well we can always debate as to why we have had a "anemic" recovery after the 2008 Recession. So far we are into 64 + Months of Jobs gains and the UE rate is now at 5.1%.
We have had a slow but steady sustainable growth since 2008 so why are people wanting 4%+ growth in the GDP? Are people wishing for another economic cyclical bust?
So far I see :

Positive Employment Growth
Lower Commodity Prices including Oil
Stable Real Estate market
Zero % Interest rates
Negligible Inflation

A slow and steady Economy is good. Maybe not for Wall Street though.

By the way many American companies have been "hoarding" cash for years now.

Jobs gains and an UE rate of 5.1?

I think you have to look at where the gains are at, what type of jobs, and how much they pay. And then look at some of the jobs that have been lost. As far as the unemployment rate I don't think its anywhere close to 5.1%.

For the middle class I don't think the economy has gotten better. And if there's a crash then it could get worse for those heavily invested in the market.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Lol, the OP says the Economy is better than ever because people are driving around in newer cars and shopping more. Hey OP, are you aware that debt is very CHEAP right now? That's why they are spending more than ever, it's going on their credit cards and these teaser no interest car loans.

I don't know if the Economy is BAD per say however, I just believe the Economy is changing into a full fledged Global Specialized Skill Economy founded on technology, robotics, and globalization. The divide between the HAVES and HAVE NOTS will get wider, the poor will get poorer and the rich will be richer than EVER BEFORE. You might not even see a middle class anywhere, the middle class might be positioned near or "not that far" from the poor.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:09 PM

374 posts, read 491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol, the OP says the Economy is better than ever because people are driving around in newer cars and shopping more. Hey OP, are you aware that debt is very CHEAP right now? That's why they are spending more than ever, it's going on their credit cards and these teaser no interest car loans.

I don't know if the Economy is BAD per say however, I just believe the Economy is changing into a full fledged Global Specialized Skill Economy founded on technology, robotics, and globalization. The divide between the HAVES and HAVE NOTS will get wider, the poor will get poorer and the rich will be richer than EVER BEFORE. You might not even see a middle class anywhere, the middle class might be positioned near or "not that far" from the poor.
Can't rep you again but great post and spot on.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Can't rep you again but great post and spot on.
Thanks

Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

The expression is per se which comes from the Latin and means "in or by itself, intrinsically".

Old 09-06-2015, 05:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of sheep. People think the economy is great because of easy money, easy credit, govt. deficit spending. Reign that in and then you'd see how good the economy was. Cut massive welfare, and see what happens.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:36 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
A bear market is underway along with a global recession. America is not exempt. Look at oil and commodities. If things were booming cooper and oil would be way higher. So you either dont know or just live in a fantasy world.
Exactly. The U.S. represents 22% of the world economy. If things were rolling along as well as some people pretend it is, commodity prices such as copper wouldn't be at bargain prices right now.

Let us not forget that America is gearing up for an election and there is a lot of propaganda being slung about how well the economy is doing v. the rest of the world. Combine that with historically low interest rates, and the result is many people buying houses, cars and running up personal debts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics