Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Roughly every 2 to 5 years the country was in recession or depression from 1800 to 1907.

If you were to total the total number of years the country was in recession in the 1800's, you come up with 51.5 years, vs. only 29 years for the 1900's.
Nothing unusual there.

Recessions are caused by the re-allocation of Capital, which takes place frequently in a country as large and diverse as the United States throughout its development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You need the down payment to ever borrow any money first. Then you still have to pay back that interest. Even if it is low, can still be very difficult.

I mean what can you buy with the borrowed money that will ensure principal and interest repayments? Assuming you can foot the down payment first.
In 2010 I borrowed at 3% through my bank line of credit (no down payment), to buy more of my local hospital investment that pays on the order of 15-20%. I have about paid off the debt with my investment returns.

This summer we bought a new Lincoln car. We had a trade in, but otherwise no other down payment and no interest. It gets paid back in monthly payments over 5 years.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:46 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
In 2010 I borrowed at 3% through my bank line of credit (no down payment), to buy more of my local hospital investment that pays on the order of 15-20%. I have about paid off the debt with my investment returns.

This summer we bought a new Lincoln car. We had a trade in, but otherwise no other down payment and no interest. It gets paid back in monthly payments over 5 years.
There is absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, like one story such as yours, to make me forget the 100s of millions who have suffered and continue to suffer. Thanks much for sharing your heartfelt story. The world needs more like you.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
U

There is absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, like one story such as yours, to make me forget the 100s of millions who have suffered and continue to suffer. Thanks much for sharing your heartfelt story. The world needs more like you.
I gave NJ Brazen_3133 some examples. Nothing more.

I pray that your lot in life shall improve!

<Thumbsup!>

Old 09-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I gave NJ Brazen_3133 some examples. Nothing more.

I pray that your lot in life shall improve!

<Thumbsup!>
I'm doing fine and am quite content that I have preserved my humanity for all those who have suffered so much with no end in sight.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
OP: The question you raise is a good one. Unfortunately you will never get anything resembling a reasoned or informed debate going here. It's like posting a serious comment on a Politico article - readers informed by slogans, ideology, willful ignorance and misinformation.

That said, the most entertaining for me by far are references about what the founding fathers thought (or would have thought) about modern institutions that had no meaning or in their pre-industrial, pre-modern, primarily agricultural society.

Well, actually, a society is a society and be it agricultural or industrial, as far as there are money around, they sort of operate on about the same principles. Nihil novi ante sol. Banks been around in a form ever since money appeared.
So back to the founding fathers. You realize, Fed is by far not the first central bank owned by private consortium in the country? And that every time is ended in disaster? And that Andrew Jackson to vehemently opposed to any central bank had huge success with his greenback issuance and was the only president in the country history that actually rid of the country debt completely? And greenbacks were so popular that later on there were riots requesting return to greenbacks?
Maybe there was a not so good reason for the forefathers to be adamant on not handling money issuance to a private organization that is not even owned by the country and owners are oversees? Including current Fed? I wouldn't like that even simply out of patriotism.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I'm doing fine and am quite content that I have preserved my humanity for all those who have suffered so much with no end in sight.
Our rich take care of themselves.
The poor we all take care of.
I think I would be correct in saying that you and I desire what's best for our middle class?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
While the Federal Reserve isn't a prefect system, it's far batter than what the economy was before it existed. If you look back in history there were bubbles and recessions far more often then before the federal reserve. Roughly every 2 to 5 years the country was in recession or depression from 1800 to 1907.

If you were to total the total number of years the country was in recession in the 1800's, you come up with 51.5 years, vs. only 29 years for the 1900's.
I don't think that's an apt comparison. Why would we regress to an old system instead of creating one which would take past mistakes into consideration?

Besides, under the Fed system we seem to have a major recession every ~7 years-2008, 2001, 1991-1994, 1982, 1975, etc. 2015 looks possible. The Federal Reserve is over 100 years old-the charter actually expired in 2013. That is too long for a private institution to control the currency of a nation as large as the US. It is time for a new economic age.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-24-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,130 times
I'm neither a right-libertarian (although I am a left-libertarian) nor a conspiracy theorist, and I hate the Federal Reserve Banking System.

The Fed is a private, for-profit corporation. The twelve regional banks within the system are owned by a consortium of private banks. The decisions made by the governing board of The Fed are made for the sake of those private banking interests.

This private entity is given fiat over the nation's central banking structure, and by extension the entire economy of The United States. The Fed is given authority to make decisions which gravely impact our public and personal economic circumstances, yet it is only minimally responsible to any form of public oversight.

The control of a central banking system should be vested to an accountable public entity and serve the interests of a nation as a whole; as opposed to being controlled by, and serving the interests of, a plutocracy.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I'm neither a right-libertarian (although I am a left-libertarian) nor a conspiracy theorist, and I hate the Federal Reserve Banking System.

The Fed is a private, for-profit corporation. The twelve regional banks within the system are owned by a consortium of private banks. The decisions made by the governing board of The Fed are made for the sake of those private banking interests.

This private entity is given fiat over the nation's central banking structure, and by extension the entire economy of The United States. The Fed is given authority to make decisions which gravely impact our public and personal economic circumstances, yet it is only minimally responsible to any form of public oversight.

The control of a central banking system should be vested to an accountable public entity and serve the interests of a nation as a whole; as opposed to being controlled by, and serving the interests of, a plutocracy.
Yes. In effect, the Federal Reserve decided to tax interest income 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics