Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:36 AM

772 posts, read 913,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
It accelerated a shift from W2 employment to 1099. 1099 employment has all the cons of self employment (unlimited liability, cruel double taxation, unpredictable pay, and quarterly tax payments) without any of the pros of working for an employer (benefits, better tax rate, eligibility for unemployment, etc.)
1099s work every day in fear of not making as much as yesterday, saving enough to meet their exorbitant tax rates, and the possibility of getting kicked off the platform for no reason.
I hope uber, lyft, doordash, fluc, taskrabbit, and all the other overvalued "gig economy" companies go out of business and their owners go into poverty.

Unions sound pretty good about now. How much is the owner of Uber worth now ? Just a couple million, or in the billions yet, like the inventor of Paypal ? You know, that Elon Musk guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I thought Uber is a mutual convenience company. It matches willing drivers with people who need a ride. Both benefit. The drivers don't have to do it but it's a way to pick up a few extra bucks. Taxi drivers naturally complain because they had the riders all to themselves before.

Cancer isn't voluntary. It's forced on people. People have no choice if they want it or not. It's a better analogy for monopolies or monopsonies.

It's a poor analogy where choice is available.

Yeah at first uber was started to provide more black car service then they got more into the " taxi " service .

I can see why taxi drivers would complain , but I'm sure a lot of taxi drivers have joined uber too.
The " if you can't beat them " join them strategy .

Sure Uber doesn't pay benefits in the official sense, but flexibility to work whenever someone wants .. Or to even take off a bunch of time and come back and still have a job , and a pay that is higher than they might work , and ability to work as much as they want aren't these all benefits ?

People sometimes seem to forget that benefits like health insurance can be bought too .
For some people giving up the benefits in exchange for more flexibility and possibly higher pay is a plus
If all these drivers had a better option why would they drive for uber? It doesn't make sense .

I've thought of driving for lyft or uber myself , it does sound like it was more lucrative in the past and pay was higher but I still like the idea of time flexibility and being able to work whenever and earn decent money .

Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
For those jobs listed the ONLY REAL one they can use is "miles driven"
--Cell "smart" phone
--Meals (on the road) and entertainment (if they have Sirius XM in the car) at 50%

But anyway, you are clinging to an economic model that no longer works for personal transport.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I've heard them advertise on the radio. They try to make it sound so great. My only thoughts are... if an employer has to advertise, the job's probably not worth it! So many jobs are just scams.
Especially the "stay-at-home" garbage that we get posted on here a lot. Spam, spam, spam.

I"m not old school about technology...I love it, and I use the bejeezus out it. But we will look back in 50 years and know that the smartphone/wired life is what truly changed and lowered most of America's living standards.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
If the yellow taxi industry dies than so be it. The drivers are smelly, incourteous animals to begin with who can barely speak English and drive even worse...
You miss the point entirely. The yellow taxi industry is a very reliable contributor to the election campaigns of politicians. THAT is why politicians fight to maintain the yellow taxi industry. IF UBER became a better, more reliable political campaign contributor than yellow taxis, politicians would flip to support them.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If Uber is cancer to the economy, how will the tumor metastasize?
Hopefully it will remain in remission....forever.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:06 AM

105 posts, read 113,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
--Cell "smart" phone
--Meals (on the road) and entertainment (if they have Sirius XM in the car) at 50%

But anyway, you are clinging to an economic model that no longer works for personal transport.
Those are borderline fraud. You can ONLY report them if they're used to entertain clients (which you can't do for meals in this case)

Old 09-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is worth recalling why cities like New York established the taxi medallion system in the first place.

"During the Great Depression, New York had as many as 30,000 cab drivers. With more drivers than passengers, cab drivers were working longer hours which led to growing public concern over the maintenance and mechanical integrity of taxi vehicles. To resolve these issues, the city considered creating a taxi monopoly, but the plan was abandoned after New York City Mayor Jimmy Walker was accused of accepting a bribe from the Parmelee Company, the largest taxi company.
In 1937, Mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia signed the Haas Act which introduced official taxi licenses and the medallion system that remains in place today. The law limited the total number of cab licenses to 16,900, but the number dwindled to 11,787 licenses over the next six decades until 1996 when the TLC added 133 new licenses bringing the total to 11,920.[SIZE=2][18][/SIZE] Since 1996, more medallions have been added to the fleet bringing the total number of cab licenses to 13,237 as of 2009.[SIZE=2][19][/SIZE]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica...ork_City#1930s
The above is a nice piece of historical fiction. The economic forces at work from the 1800s forward are clear:
  • Corrupt politicians see the opportunity to create a protected monopoly or duopoly
  • Corrupt politicians auction those state-protected monopolies to the highest bidder
  • Corrupt politicians use campaign contributions as the measure of a private sector vendor's worth
  • ... and the cycle continues. Just look at the campaign contributions to major politicians, and you see protected monopolies everywhere: public sector unions, private sector unions, government contractors, defense contractors, etc.

This had nothing to do with public concerns over maintenance -- clearly, the medallion system has not improved taxi maintenance. It has EVERYTHING to do with corrupt politicians looking for bribes from medallion companies, and those bribes occur in the form of campaign contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
...Licensed taxi drivers and or medallion owners feel NYC has thrown them under a bus.
As well they should. They bribed politicians, but the politicians didn't stay bribed.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kevin View Post
Rising: Food Stamp Beneficiaries Exceed 45 Million for 50 Straight Months
Recipients outnumber population of Canada

9/8/15
"The number of beneficiaries of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), otherwise known as food stamps, has exceeded 45 million for 50 straight months, according to data released by the Department of Agriculture (USDA).

In June 2015, the latest month for which data is available, there were 45,510,153 beneficiaries of the food stamp program, an increase of 14,869 between May and June.

Beneficiaries of this program now exceed the population of Canada, which totals 34,834,841, according to a widely used source for such figures."

Rising: Food Stamp Beneficiaries Exceed 45 Million for 50 Straight Months - Washington Free Beacon

We have more Americans on Food Stamps then entire population of Canada.

This is disgrace.
Yes, this is a disgrace -- politicians moving the goal posts to ensure more and more people qualify to suck at the public teat, creating a massive disincentive to work, and creating a massive voting block of intentional underachievers. What a waste. Many -- perhaps most -- of those people could achieve great things if only there were an incentive to get off the public dole.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:32 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Yes, this is a disgrace -- politicians moving the goal posts to ensure more and more people qualify to suck at the public teat, creating a massive disincentive to work, and creating a massive voting block of intentional underachievers. What a waste. Many -- perhaps most -- of those people could achieve great things if only there were an incentive to get off the public dole.

Do you have the voting statistics for those on welfare or other govt assistance? I don't think snap benefits create a massive disincentive to work, I think this a gross exaggeration on your part

It looks like per the last census that as income rises so does voting participation and the same holds true for education level. I'd expect this to be the norm

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 09-14-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics