Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:24 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

This just in: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...th-uber-or-die

That thud sound you just heard was the value of NYC yellow taxi medallions hitting the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Yep but in some cities the Taxi medallion to "license" the cab is $400,000-500,000, plus insurance, etc.

Also keep in mind most used taxis were $5000 ex-police cars so for the cab company the first 25 rented days means the car itself is paid in full!
Maybe in Boston "Most used taxis were... ex-police cars", but that is not true in Manhattan/NYC.

Yes, the Crown Victoria once ruled NYC streets as the most recent yellow cab of choice, but they were most always new. Today however there are a variety of vehicles ranging from SUVs and minivans to Nissans or Toyotas.

Personally wish we'd take a page here from Europe and get some Mercedes-Benz or BMW taxis, but outside of private "town car" type services don't see that happening.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:12 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
If the yellow taxi industry dies than so be it. The drivers are smelly, incourteous animals to begin with who can barely speak English and drive even worse. I would rather press a button for a cab, have it come directly to me and not have to worry about some body else getting it before me.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
People don't have to do it if they don't want to. The way I understand it it's a way for people to make a few extra bucks. It's convenient for the drivers and real convenient for the passengers.

And what happens when they get into a car accident? I highly doubt these people are telling their car insurance they're now using their cars as cabs.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
For those jobs listed the ONLY REAL one they can use is "miles driven"
I don't think so. There is part of smart phone or computer to track jobs that come in, office work expenses, home office deduction, toll and parking fees (if the customer doesn't pay them), clothing (if uber requires a certain type of outfit), car expenses (part of your insurance and car maintenance).

Even if all those things don't amount to much, there is a standard allowable "self employment deduction" that gives a worker a deduction for self employment expenses, which a taxpayer can choose to use instead of itemizing.

The only mileage you can deduct is mileage that the customer didn't pay for, like mileage to and from the pickup and dropoff location.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
If the yellow taxi industry dies than so be it. The drivers are smelly, incourteous animals to begin with who can barely speak English and drive even worse. I would rather press a button for a cab, have it come directly to me and not have to worry about some body else getting it before me.
When home on SI of course one drives. In the City can count on one hand the times have used a yellow taxi in the past year. Even then if it wasn't for the Amex points for fare program probably wouldn't have bothered.

Either walk, take the subway or bus and or use a car share service.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
$200 per day? Really? That's enough to buy a $36,000 car and have it paid off in just 6 months, FWIW.
The $200 per day goes to pay for the $500,000 or so medallion that allows the vehicle to be used as a taxi. Government-supported extortion. Hopefully competition from Uber and others will drive this price down….to zero.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The $200 per day goes to pay for the $500,000 or so medallion that allows the vehicle to be used as a taxi. Government-supported extortion. Hopefully competition from Uber and others will drive this price down….to zero.

Not zero here in NYC, but none the less value of taxi medallions are dropping.

The Struggles of New York City?s Taxi King

Old 09-13-2015, 04:58 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
$200 per day? Really? That's enough to buy a $36,000 car and have it paid off in just 6 months, FWIW.
Really? And where do these guys get the loans to purchase these cars in the first place?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The area is obviously in a legal hassle. And the 1099 side has lost mostly in recent decisions.

There is also a working Federal case in CA where the drivers have been certified as a class. That one could really sting Uber.

So the area is not resolved.
I'm not sure that the Calif. class action case will get to far with regards to Uber drivers being employees entitled to minimum wage. And employee is told by management what the hours are, the start and finish times, and the location where they work. Independent contractors are not bound by these restrictions. I think a lot of Uber drivers would find themselves very unhappy when the company say "we have too many of you in San Francisco on Saturdays and Sundays, so we will restrict the number of on duty Uber drivers those days. By the way, some of you will be required to work the 8 pm to 5 am shift because there's nobody out there."

I agree with those advocating more 1099 workers. The income tax system slams wage earners.Self employed and contractors and 1099 folks have a lot more deductions, and by extension a higher net generally speaking, dollar for dollar earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics