Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I kind of blame the drivers for their bad situation... and now they are getting the courts to say they are real employees? They didn't want a real job to begin with. They want to set own hours and be an "entrepreneur" without actually starting their own company.

next they'll be wanting "tips" too? I'll "hire" them but if the app says it is $X then I'll pay that and that alone.

cant wait to see how the drivers react to being audited for profits/taxes... I'm not entirely sure many drivers are keeping detailed accounts/receipts of business profits/expenses.

edit: can drivers even be "LLCs" on themselves? Does uber contract llcs or the drivers directly? If Uber was ever sued, and you are the "hired" contract, they could pass a lot of it onto drivers...
Well, the issues I've been hearing aren't so much the 1099 itself, but how Uber employees get classified as "contractors", which would be fine, but it turns out Uber isn't so flexible about letting them run their own hours anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
I'm a 1099 subcontractor.

Went S-Corp, saves me a fortune.

I love it.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
When a taxi medallion in NYC is going for 1 million bucks now, well, they've priced themselves out (and note ad for Uber at the top of the page! Oh, the gall)

NYC Taxi Medallions for sale List
Uber sounds like a pretty good option...I clicked on that link to the ad and it says

"MAKE GREAT MONEY.
Start driving with Uber by October 10th and we guarantee you can make $20,000 in net fares in just three months. That's $20,000 net, by the end of December. Terms and conditions available at t.uber.com/guarantee"

Now tell me why again people feel like Uber drivers are being abused and underpaid?

A guarantee of $20,000 net ...in 3 months?...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
It accelerated a shift from W2 employment to 1099. 1099 employment has all the cons of self employment (unlimited liability, cruel double taxation, unpredictable pay, and quarterly tax payments) without any of the pros of working for an employer (benefits, better tax rate, eligibility for unemployment, etc.)
1099s work every day in fear of not making as much as yesterday, saving enough to meet their exorbitant tax rates, and the possibility of getting kicked off the platform for no reason.
I hope uber, lyft, doordash, fluc, taskrabbit, and all the other overvalued "gig economy" companies go out of business and their owners go into poverty.
I've heard them advertise on the radio. They try to make it sound so great. My only thoughts are... if an employer has to advertise, the job's probably not worth it! So many jobs are just scams.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:34 PM

105 posts, read 113,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Uber sounds like a pretty good option...I clicked on that link to the ad and it says

"MAKE GREAT MONEY.
Start driving with Uber by October 10th and we guarantee you can make $20,000 in net fares in just three months. That's $20,000 net, by the end of December. Terms and conditions available at t.uber.com/guarantee"

Now tell me why again people feel like Uber drivers are being abused and underpaid?

A guarantee of $20,000 net ...in 3 months?...
"guaranteed net of 20k in 3 months" HAHAHA

Old 09-13-2015, 04:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
It accelerated a shift from W2 employment to 1099. 1099 employment has all the cons of self employment (unlimited liability, cruel double taxation, unpredictable pay, and quarterly tax payments) without any of the pros of working for an employer (benefits, better tax rate, eligibility for unemployment, etc.)
1099s work every day in fear of not making as much as yesterday, saving enough to meet their exorbitant tax rates, and the possibility of getting kicked off the platform for no reason.
I hope uber, lyft, doordash, fluc, taskrabbit, and all the other overvalued "gig economy" companies go out of business and their owners go into poverty.
The tax rate should be the same. The indy contractor has to pay both halves of the FICA tax. Nominally the employee pays only half (6.2%) but in reality all 12.4% is coming out of the worker's pocket, whether contractor or employee, according to the CBO.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ight-hand.html

As an employee you are eligible for unemployment insurance, but on the other hand you are required to pay into it, whereas the contractor is not. For the person who never gets laid off and never collects UI, that is a bad deal. They are subsidizing the seasonal industries like construction where workers go on unemployment as a routine practice. They would be better off as contractors. They could keep that money that they earned instead of paying for a construction worker's winter hiatus.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
It accelerated a shift from W2 employment to 1099.
So?

The World is changing, has changed, and will continue to change in the same way the nature and style of employment is changing.

Adapt or starve.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:45 PM

105 posts, read 113,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So?

The World is changing, has changed, and will continue to change in the same way the nature and style of employment is changing.

Adapt or starve.
Psh, who needs job security or benefits? Being on welfare or disabled is the new trend!

Old 09-13-2015, 05:58 PM

233 posts, read 202,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So?

Adapt or starve.
Yes, the World is changing and we are closer to WW3 and a Civil War in America.
Inflation rewards 1%, the SPECULATIVE CLASS and Deflation rewards the 99% ordinary Americans who are able to save money with higher interest rates. Speculative class suffers during deflation. That is the way it supposed to work. The gap between the rich and poor grows during Inflation Season and closes again during Deflation Season.

The FED HATES DEFLATION and even considers saving to be destructive of the economy. Thats's why they came up with GDP ( false gauge that needs to be junked) that only measures spending and considers spendings (even debt spending) healthy.
Only an IDIOT GOVERNMENT punishes its citizens for saving. Think about this, our Government doesn't want us to save. Makes you think who are they working for?

Let see how all of you never ending inflation supporters adapt when the $hit hits the fan here in America unless we raise interest rates and allow majority of Americans to recover.

The game is rigged and it's getting obvious to more and more people out there.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:20 PM

233 posts, read 202,127 times
Quote:
Psh, who needs job security or benefits? Being on welfare or disabled is the new trend!
Good luck finding a decent job with benefits in America today. Majority of JOBS created since 2008 are low paying service jobs. Many Americans had no choice but to apply for Food Stamps and other social programs just so they can keep up with housing costs, rents are sky rocketing across America, home prices have been inflated again, food cost is up, education and healthcare cost.

We have record number of Americans on Food Stamps. What a great recovery this is. Something to be proud off, right?

You know what Du Pont, the guillotines are being sharpened in many places. The Fed has a lot to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics