Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

I guess we can expect more to close

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/target...142502009.html

Also more layoffs are probably coming.

I don't think this is due to bad management of Target.

It's a solid company.

Walmart is also closing some stores.

Retail is in recession i tell you that!!!

Just like industrials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,083,525 times
15 stores isn't a big deal considering their number of stores. Demographics shift over time making some formerly profitable stores less so. If it was 40 or 50 stores it would be bigger news. I wouldn't worry about Target. There is going to be a gradual shift over time as online retail continues to increase market share so it will hurt traditional retail somewhat, but at some point that gain in marketshare from the Amazon's of the world will slow and eventually flatten. I'd wager that's still about 10 years away. Till then expect to see more store closings, especially with the less viable/relevant retailers that are more vulnerable to online competition.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM

61 posts, read 56,904 times
Target absolutely mishandled the expansion into canada. Closed up shop their entire stores here within 2 years

Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
I think Target needs to figure out what it needs to be. When Walmart gained its marketshare over the last 15 years, Target decided to go upscale which worked but it was when the recession started up. Target was good trying to do that even despite the Kohl's of the world as well as Penny's and Sears.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:39 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I guess we can expect more to close Walmart is also closing some stores.

Are Target and Walmart closing stores because retail is in recession or is it because Amazon is taking market share?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,631,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I guess we can expect more to close

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/target...142502009.html

Also more layoffs are probably coming.

I don't think this is due to bad management of Target.

It's a solid company.

Walmart is also closing some stores.

Just like industrials
Corporate survival is of little consequence to CEOs and top management, it is simply a conduit for getting super wealthy.

Management borrows money at 1% (free money from the Feds) and creates debt for the corporation.

Management uses the borrowed money to buy back management stock options.

Thus money is quickly and heavily transferred to management. The survival of the corporation is of no consequence as is the loss of jobs. Management simply doesn't care about growth anymore because there is zero incentive. It is the new economic system courtesy of free money.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Are Target and Walmart closing stores because retail is in recession or is it because Amazon is taking market share?
Both, I would think.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I don't think Amazon is taking share from ordinary grocery shopping or monthly haul.

Amazon is threat to consumer electronics sellers, particularly Best Buy.

Overall retail is in recession.

This year holiday sales will be down significantly from last year.

Including electronic commerce.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortonsCoffee View Post
Target absolutely mishandled the expansion into canada. Closed up shop their entire stores here within 2 years
Plus, Target mishandled their data breach.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortonsCoffee View Post
When the Target expansion into Canada failed, they lost a tremendous amount of money, which lowered there profits significantly. Closing the less productive stores here is just one way of making that up. I would not consider this to be related to online shopping, nor to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics