Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
We, as a nation, currently owe about $ 19 Trillion to others. Most economists agree that about $ 25 Trillion is the point of no return.
Huh? What are you talking about?

Quote:
Now, imagine that the LENDERS, like China, say no to our requests for more loans because they've lost faith in our ability to pay it back.
China ends up with a lot of US dollars as the result of a bilateral trade surplus. They use some of those dollars to buy things from the US and some to buy things from other countries that will take US dollars in payment. All they can do with anything left over is invest them in dollar-denominated assets. A favorite is US Treasury securities, but real estate and corporate bonds and equities get into the mix as well. China is in fact an INVESTOR in the US. Because it has no other choice.

Quote:
Beans & ammo, my friend, beans and ammo.
A simple textbook on International Trade & Finance would cost a lot less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:39 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wall Street is the harbinger of bad times, or good times whether you like it or not.

So far the Dow has gone from 18,000 to 16,000 in a few weeks. Most people in this day and age have their 401(k) retirement money in one or more mutual finds, and they're seeing their nest egg dwindle. And they remember 2008-09. Is that reason enough for you?
You must not having been paying attention to what was happening before it hit 18k. It was going up. Steadily. Then it had a small 9% correction. Most people are seizing huge gains in their retirement accounts. At least double the 9% blip.

I remember 2009 market well. I learned from it and am now a better investor for it. But if it crashes, i won't be scapegoating the blame to the government. The blame is my own for my investment choices. So far they've been doing an excellent job keeping the market expanding. All these black and white thinkers are just pissed at themselves they missed the gains.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Wage stagnation, slowing revenues, lack of jobs and inflation paint a pretty bleack picture imo.
Heh heh. Yep that 1% inflation is crazy.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If you have a 401k, Wall Street should be more than just a distraction to you. It's the milk that will make or break your senior years.
Most people with 401ks are years away from retirement, so short term drops in the stock market are exactly that... a distraction.

If yo need to sell equities in the near future to fund your lifestyle, then yup not a good situation although odds are they are still much higher than you bought them for.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
This is what frightens people:
Monsanto slashing 2,600 jobs, buying back shares as sales fall (Reuters) -
<snip>
IT IS A DISGUSTING MONSTROSITY WHAT IS GOING ON!
Yes I'm equally shocked! A large company is laying off lots of people! I've never heard of that happening before.

Monstrosity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The science of the manipulation of emotions is quite advanced, and with so many people plugged into media 24/7 it's easy to engineer a fear response. Keeps everyone off balance, confused, anxious, and powerless.
See above, irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
The economy sucks for many people. There are millions and millions of Americans without jobs and many more working only part time.
As is always the case in good times and bad. Economy sucking for people and people working part time are not by themselves indicators of a bad economy.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yes I'm equally shocked! A large company is laying off lots of people! I've never heard of that happening before.

Monstrosity!

As is always the case in good times and bad. Economy sucking for people and people working part time are not by themselves indicators of a bad economy.
Huh. Did you read the whole little tidbit?

They are buying back billions of their own stock while kicking out employees.

The ultra-rich don't need companies, products, or employees anymore. They just shrink the nuisance company, borrow some free money courtesy of their pals at the Federal Reserve, and just buy back their own stock options.

Cute game! All you need is free money printed courtesy of the Puppets running the printing press. Also must remember to give all of these Puppets cushy jobs once they printed the trillions for the super-rich. Must remember.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
We, as a nation, currently owe about $ 19 Trillion to others. Now, imagine that the LENDERS, like China, say no to our requests for more loans because they've lost faith in our ability to pay it back.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can get so turned around!

You know why China buys our debt? So they can sell us more than they buy. That is the *only* reason. It's a great deal for them. Sucks for us. And by us I mean people in the US who work for a living. Japan, China, Mexico, and a bunch of smaller players were all able to rapidly develop at our expense. We got flat wages and debt escalation in the deal.

So, if for whatever reason China and everyone else stops buying our debt, it would be the best thing that's happened in the last 40 years for the US middle class.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Heh heh. Yep that 1% inflation is crazy.
That is funny. Where'd you get that number?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:00 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Wallstreet is just a distraction as far as I am concerned. Can anyone give me any real reason to be afraid?
There are always reasons to be afraid. Our nation and the world are a mess...but that's nothing new.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
They listen to the propaganda, and fear is what it's all about.

9/11 was where fear mongering seemed to really get a boost and it's been relentless ever since. The science of the manipulation of emotions is quite advanced, and with so many people plugged into media 24/7 it's easy to engineer a fear response. Keeps everyone off balance, confused, anxious, and powerless.
^^Spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics