Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Rruff asks;
"Can you list specifics that would lead to "reasons to be afraid?"

Well, the fed is landing money at zero interest. There are 94,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 not working. That is roughly a third of the adults in America. These people are not buying new cars or much else. Families ar e moving away from large population centers as fast as they can. They are buying up old family farms with some fields, woods, a good water source and preferably on a dead end road. People want to buy a "bug out destination".

Th Department of Homeland Security is distributing "emergency kits" with 3 days of food, maps, water bottles, ponchos, compass and other supplies to high level administrators in major banks and the fed. This is to give these people a chance to walk to safety. The recipients were told to keep these kits and good walking shoes at their desks. Think about this.

Then ask Rruff's question again.

The billionaires'u families have already left. We have elected mayors who think their citizens "need room to destroy".
Actually, it's one-half of the adults of the 188 million adults in America in that age bracket. Now, if you take out of the 94 million left the millions of early retirees, the millions of disabled, the millions of stay-at-home moms, and the millions in college, more three quarters of American adults under 65 must be chronically unemployed.

Now, that might very well be what conditions are in the backwoods of Maine, especially among the prepper crowd who carry the burden of being more than a can or two short of a six pack, but if you lived anywhere with a viable economy, you'd find that there are plenty of jobs for people who want to work. The problem with many of the chronically unemployed in many places -- especially "large population centers" is that they can't stay off drugs and booze and get their arses out of bed and to the job site on time.

Just because backwoods Maine is in the economic toilet doesn't mean Portland or the rest of New England or the rest of the country is. Time to move or stop whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
No wonder you're in favor of illegal immigration. Everyone needs their servants, right, and how much better can it get than forcing the middle class to pay for their health insurance, food and housing needs so you don't have to?
The use of welfare is actually independent of race and birthplace. That is to say that native-born white women are as apt to be using welfare as any other comparable group. The only exception seems to be women born in US territories who use welfare slightly more often than comparable stateside women.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Well, the fed is landing money at zero interest. There are 94,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 not working. That is roughly a third of the adults in America. These people are not buying new cars or much else.
Consumer spending and auto sales don't align with your assumptions about people not buying things. Not everyone works or wants to be working... hell I don't work anymore and it hasn't crimped my spending.

Quote:
Families ar e moving away from large population centers as fast as they can. They are buying up old family farms with some fields, woods, a good water source and preferably on a dead end road. People want to buy a "bug out destination".
Nope.

More Americans Moving to Cities, Reversing the Suburban Exodus - The Wire

Americans Increasingly Want to Live in Cities, Not Suburbs

"That’s because people are moving to cities: net migration was the largest contributor to population growth in all but five of the 50 fastest-growing metro areas. Census data released last month show that metropolitan areas across the country grew at a faster rate last year than the rest of the country, with cities like Austin, Texas and Seattle, Washington growing especially swiftly."

Quote:
Th Department of Homeland Security is distributing "emergency kits" with 3 days of food, maps, water bottles, ponchos, compass and other supplies to high level administrators in major banks and the fed. This is to give these people a chance to walk to safety. The recipients were told to keep these kits and good walking shoes at their desks. Think about this.
Tell Alex Jones I said hello.

Last edited by lieqiang; 10-11-2015 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
The use of welfare is actually independent of race and birthplace. That is to say that native-born white women are as apt to be using welfare as any other comparable group. The only exception seems to be women born in US territories who use welfare slightly more often than comparable stateside women.
Please provide us a citation for this completely incorrect statistic. Of course, you won't be able to find one.

If by "welfare", you mean cash handouts through TANF, 90% of TANF recipients are single mothers. Almost 70% of black children are in single parent households. Half of those live below the poverty level. The United States is 13.2% black. TANF distributes 34% of their money to blacks, typically single mothers, and 31% of their money to whites.

We have an enormous societal problem. We have created a permanent underclass. Uneducated black women become single mothers. Their sons end up in prison. Their daughters perpetuate the single mother problem.

To quote our President from his Father's Day speech in 2008 since it's politically incorrect for white people to say anything:
Quote:
Of all the rocks upon which we build our lives, we are reminded today that family is the most important. And we are called to recognize and honor how critical every father is to that foundation. They are teachers and coaches. They are mentors and role models. They are examples of success and the men who constantly push us toward it.

But if we are honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that what too many fathers also are is missing — missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.

You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled — doubled — since we were children. We know the statistics — that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
No wonder you're in favor of illegal immigration. Everyone needs their servants, right, and how much better can it get than forcing the middle class to pay for their health insurance, food and housing needs so you don't have to?
Where have I ever written that I'm in favor of illegal immigration?

I've written many times that the United States would be totally screwed without immigration, both illegal and legal. The reproductive rate of native-born Americans who have been here at least a generation is comparable to much of northern Europe and Asia. Without immigration, we'd have the nasty problem Japan is facing where their population is rapidly aging. They project to have 1.1 workers for every retiree in 50 years. Think of what that does to the government budget and tax rates. Northern Europe isn't doing much better.

I favor two tracks. Anybody young, healthy, educated, and English-speaking goes to the head of the line. If you have a high demand job skill, you get your green card immediately. If you're older and poor, we don't want you. Your family can sponsor you but they're contractually on the hook to pay the bills. If they don't pay the bills, it's immediate deportation. For the rest, strict quotas. I'd change the constitution to reflect the 21st century reality of jet aircraft and a country of 330 million with limited resources. Being born here shouldn't automatically make you a citizen. The world median household income is about $10,000. The lowest of the low in the United States do better than that and receive free health care, free education, food assistance, and all the other safety net benefits. We cannot be the dumping ground for the world's poor. There are too many of them.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Please provide us a citation for this completely incorrect statistic. Of course, you won't be able to find one.
I take it that you are as unfamiliar with the following as you are with such topics generally.

The Role of Race and Birth Place in Welfare Usage among Comparable Women:
Evidence from the U.S.

You can find it HERE. Go educate yourself and return a better informed person.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM

125 posts, read 167,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
I take it that you are as unfamiliar with the following as you are with such topics generally.

The Role of Race and Birth Place in Welfare Usage among Comparable Women:
Evidence from the U.S.

You can find it HERE. Go educate yourself and return a better informed person.
Ah yes, everyone should be familiar with this intellectual masterpiece. I have personally read The Role of Race and Birth Place in Welfare Usage among Comparable Women: Evidence from the U.S. cover to cover numerous times. Mostly in front of my fireplace burning 300 year old oak logs doing my best Matthew McConaughey finger roll impersonation from the Lincoln car commercials. What a marvelous scholarly work.

Please everyone, follow Reynard32's advice and go educate and inform yourselves. It will help you reach intellectual giant status that many can only dream about.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:26 PM

254 posts, read 597,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Everywhere I go, people are talking like something big and scary is happening in the economy. Seems to be a great deal of fear. At the same time, nothing fundamentally has changed with regards to the economy. In fact, commodity prices have declined, which may benefit producers. If real estate prices fall, we may see more buyers coming to the table.

Wallstreet is just a distraction as far as I am concerned. Can anyone give me any real reason to be afraid?

I'm scared of the way the econony is turning out. My husband an I have to move because we can't afford to live where we are at anymore. We live in a high tourist city, and it is expensive. It sucks. Property owners are greedy, increasing rent on long-time tenants. If this keeps up, this city will be just a "working and town" where people come to work and live elsewhere, and tourists will pay even more to be in the city.
Something has gotta give.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 PM

233 posts, read 202,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I'm scared of the way the econony is turning out. My husband an I have to move because we can't afford to live where we are at anymore. We live in a high tourist city, and it is expensive. It sucks. Property owners are greedy, increasing rent on long-time tenants. If this keeps up, this city will be just a "working and town" where people come to work and live elsewhere, and tourists will pay even more to be in the city.
Something has gotta give.
JennStar, I'm very sorry that you have to move because of increased cost of living and high rents. Unfortunately the FED policy is creating a New Feudalism in America. The FED is destroying our democracy, and replacing it with a plutocracy -- by willfully transferring money from the poor to the rich to try to accomplish their goal of perpetual monetary growth to please GDP analysis. The Middle Class is vanishing and the Lower Class is more heavily indebted than ever; the good news is that the rich have never been richer.

Yes, the Middle Class is being destroyed in America. The FED has done the absolute worst thing for the American middle class by attempting to ignore the SAVING CYCLE and raise interest rate so the 99% can make money through higher interest rates to pay off their debts. The FED's solution is ZIRP, which, without higher salaries, does nothing but freeze the 99% where they are.

A LOT of mistakes are being made, in the attempt to control reality. The longer this drags on, the more alienated the masses will become. We may have another civil war in America if this continues.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:40 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kevin View Post
JennStar, I'm very sorry that you have to move because of increased cost of living and high rents. Unfortunately the FED policy is creating a New Feudalism in America. The FED is destroying our democracy, and replacing it with a plutocracy -- by willfully transferring money from the poor to the rich to try to accomplish their goal of perpetual monetary growth to please GDP analysis. The Middle Class is vanishing and the Lower Class is more heavily indebted than ever; the good news is that the rich have never been richer.

Yes, the Middle Class is being destroyed in America. The FED has done the absolute worst thing for the American middle class by attempting to ignore the SAVING CYCLE and raise interest rate so the 99% can make money through higher interest rates to pay off their debts. The FED's solution is ZIRP, which, without higher salaries, does nothing but freeze the 99% where they are.

A LOT of mistakes are being made, in the attempt to control reality. The longer this drags on, the more alienated the masses will become. We may have another civil war in America if this continues.
The Fed basically sacrificed my future to sustain today. They will continue doing so, until the world will no longer support it. Basically, when the demand for USD and US debt obligation ceases.

For the time being though, America is probably the best house in the worst neighborhood. This is why the Fed's policies are tolerated.

Not a perfect world. Never was though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics