Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 12:57 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If the employee loses his job he can lose his house/apartment to so what is they both lose revenue source and housing how is that any different from each other? The results are the same. There are many things that go into owning a business not everyone want to deal with that.
The employee doesn't have his life savings tied up in the business. He can go get another job.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:01 AM

563 posts, read 523,829 times
Default Its all in the numbers

When does $15 per hour matter? When you make less than that. Income is one of those things in life where, "less is not more."

Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
If the employee loses his job he can lose his house/apartment to so what is they both lose revenue source and housing how is that any different from each other? The results are the same. There are many things that go into owning a business not everyone want to deal with that.
Who put up the capital to start the business? Who will lose all of that capital if the business fails? Who is legally responsible to pay the debts of the business? Who can be sued by creditors for unpaid business debts? Who can lose their personal property to cover business debts? Who is guaranteed a wage for the work they have performed? Who is guaranteed nothing?

The risk of the employer and employee are not comparable. I learned that the first week of my 9th grade general business class.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:00 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,325,567 times
very easy way to fix ALL the money problems in the US..

stop worrying about how little poor people make and focus on how MUCH rich people make

Salary Cap

Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:
When an employee loses his job they are typically eligible for unemployment compensation. Business owners have to pay in to unemployment but are generally not eligible to collect. It is also generally much easier for an employee to obtain a job than an owner (the higher the wage typically the longer it takes to obtain employment). Of course there are many things that go into owning a business-I know first hand. I have built 3 over the last 30 years. I've also been on the other end of the spectrum working for minimum wage while attending college.

People working for minimum wage need to examine their skill set and make adjustments accordingly if they want to earn higher wages. I went for 8 years while many of my friends did not. Guess who ******* about how much money they make?

Note: Getting a college degree in a useless subject (of which there are many), will not qualify you for additional compensation.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
very easy way to fix ALL the money problems in the US..

stop worrying about how little poor people make and focus on how MUCH rich people make

Salary Cap
Actually this is exactly backwards. Who cares what a CEO of a large company makes? In reality is has NO impact on what level level employees make. One must also consider that, by far, the majority of business in the US are small businesses (mom and pop) and the owners are often far from rich. A person is far better served by improving THEIR skill set so as to offer something valuable to employers.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:17 PM

320 posts, read 283,062 times
It makes sense in trying to keep up with the cost of living. Maybe it doesn't make sense in Tulsa Oklahoma or Columbus Georgia but it definitely makes sense in NY, LA, SF. Actually it doesn't in those three cities, $15 is still too low. Still though, nothing is gonna change, except that business will eventually outsource jobs to machines and the working class will once again get the **** end of the stick.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Also, what makes you think that prices will only go up by 2% if you raise the minimum wage by 50%? Prices for goods and services are set according to what a person making the median income can afford. If you had ever bothered to run a business or study economics you would understand this.
Because there are more components to the cost of goods sold than just wages, and there are fixed components to labor that do not increase with wage increases.

This is from a 2011 study and is based on raising the wage from $7.25 to $12.00:
"Even if Walmart were to pass 100 percent of the wage increase on to consumers, the average impact
on a Walmart shopper would be quite small: 1.1 percent of prices, well below Walmart's estimated
savings to consumers. This works out to $0.46 per shopping trip, or $12.49 per year, for the average
consumer who spends approximately $1,187 per year at Walmart. This is the most extreme estimate,
as portions of the raise could be absorbed through other mechanisms, including increased productivity
or lower profit margins."

Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The employee doesn't have his life savings tied up in the business. He can go get another job.
So if you lose your business you can not get another job? Last time I checked having your own business not working does not make you unhirable.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
When an employee loses his job they are typically eligible for unemployment compensation. Business owners have to pay in to unemployment but are generally not eligible to collect. It is also generally much easier for an employee to obtain a job than an owner (the higher the wage typically the longer it takes to obtain employment). Of course there are many things that go into owning a business-I know first hand. I have built 3 over the last 30 years. I've also been on the other end of the spectrum working for minimum wage while attending college.

People working for minimum wage need to examine their skill set and make adjustments accordingly if they want to earn higher wages. I went for 8 years while many of my friends did not. Guess who ******* about how much money they make?

Note: Getting a college degree in a useless subject (of which there are many), will not qualify you for additional compensation.
That is true about unemployment but I doubt it is harder for the employer to get a job having owned a business shows that you are responsible and know how businesses work plus you will probably have a better chance of getting a job as a manager. People can get all the skills they want but you do not seem to understand how the economy works because there are a only x amount of higher jobs for people so if a bunch of people got degrees or trade jobs we just have a lot of people working fast food or retail with degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.