Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 06:04 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Mine is the story of hundreds of thousands of millennial college graduates living in Florida. I'd rank my own survival as average around my peers.

Maybe things are better where you are, but I still can't find a job in my field down here wanting less than 3-5 years of experience. And employers would never hire an entry level candidate from out of state (if they did, that's a pretty stupid idea).
Move where the jobs are, if that is what it takes. You are young and don't have children? Do it now. It only gets harder later.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:05 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
Cops, firefighters, put their life on the line to help others yet they make much less than CEO's is that fair? no.
Give me a break. While danger is an element of pay the uniqueness of skill set is much more a factor.

If we pay cops more because of the risk of losing life then we'd be paying other more dangerous jobs like maintenance workers, construction, taxi drivers, truck drivers, roofers, etc. more than the cops. Logging workers would make almost 10x more than cops.

Quote:
Corporations ruined this country.
Drama queen much? This country isn't ruined.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM

250 posts, read 383,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If managing a huge corporation takes no skill, go and do it. Earn that money for yourself.
My point is.... They make more than the people who put their lives on the line, and their life isn't in any danger. Our service men and women make much less then they do.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:36 PM

250 posts, read 383,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Give me a break. While danger is an element of pay the uniqueness of skill set is much more a factor.

If we pay cops more because of the risk of losing life then we'd be paying other more dangerous jobs like maintenance workers, construction, taxi drivers, truck drivers, roofers, etc. more than the cops. Logging workers would make almost 10x more than cops.

Drama queen much? This country isn't ruined.
They ruined the business side of things, many have too much of a monopoly on things, not many local owned shops anymore. If people only have one choice for a product, they have no choice to buy if they need too, and because of a monopoly they have no competition in terms of pricing so they make their own rules.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
My point is.... They make more than the people who put their lives on the line, and their life isn't in any danger. Our service men and women make much less then they do.
They aren't paid according to how dangerous their jobs are. : smack:

They are paid well because they offer something of value. If the corporation is not run well, people lose their jobs and shareholders lose money. You may think that "shareholder" is synonymous with wealthy billionaire, but it isn't. Lots of us "little people" have the bulk of our life savings invested in common stocks. As someone else mentioned, there is lots of public pension money in common stocks. Those cops and firefighters are counting on their pensions.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
They ruined the business side of things, many have too much of a monopoly on things,not many local owned shops anymore. If people only have one choice for a product, they have no choice to buy if they need too, and because of a monopoly they have no competition in terms of pricing so they make their own rules.
People had more choices for products. They overwhelmingly chose the big box store.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
That's not really a point, is it?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Minimum wage here in Oz is approx $17.29 per hour, yet items (in relation to incomes) are pretty affordable here. Even workers making that minimum can live a halfway decent life here. Doubt the same can be said for the U$. There's no reason why hard working people doing the best they can, should barely exist. But then america is basically an "I've got mine, ********* all" country. It would be great for people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps to actually HAVE bootstraps to pull on.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
instead of giving yourselves all a raise, and also the lower class, you'd rather see them do worse and your wage stagnate. How does the leather on Trump's boot taste?

Yes, lazy people should not get rich sitting around flipping burgers. And the min. wage is helpful for teens to start out working. But we are literally turning the middle class into just a upper part of the lower class.

Someone posted complaining paying an accountant 37k/yr when we pay 30k/yr to someone to flip burgers is silly. Duh! The accountant should be making 50k/yr! Everyone's wages are too low and taxes are too high. Except the billionaires.

Money is flowing from the middle class to the 0.1%. And no I do not think someone with a million is rich. Upper middle class more like. But that is not who it is going to. We are all paying too MUCH taxes actually. The billionaires are paying NONE. No taxes. In fact they get money from the government. Because they bought it.

I think we should cut taxes for the middle class and raise them for a few thousand billionaires and hundred-millionaires. How is that hard to agree with?! Morally, ethically, economically. I really don't understand. unless one of you happens to be a Trump? And no, trickle down economics doesn't work. No doublespeak will convince otherwise. Economists often seem to be divorced from reality actually. Sad, since they are just pathetic middle classers like us, actually.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
instead of giving yourselves all a raise, and also the lower class, you'd rather see them do worse and your wage stagnate. How does the leather on Trump's boot taste?

Yes, lazy people should not get rich sitting around flipping burgers. And the min. wage is helpful for teens to start out working. But we are literally turning the middle class into just a upper part of the lower class.

Someone posted complaining paying an accountant 37k/yr when we pay 30k/yr to someone to flip burgers is silly. Duh! The accountant should be making 50k/yr! Everyone's wages are too low.

Money is flowing from the middle class to the 0.1%. And no I do not think someone with a million is rich. Upper middle class more like. But that is not who it is going to. We are all paying too MUCH taxes actually. The billionaires are paying NONE. No taxes. In fact they get money from the government. Because they bought it.

I think we should cut taxes for the middle class and raise them for a few thousand billionaires and hundred-millionaires. How is that hard to agree with?! Morally, ethically, economically. I really don't understand. unless one of you happens to be a Trump? And no, trickle down economics doesn't work. No doublespeak will convince otherwise. Economists often seem to be divorced from reality actually. Sad, since they are just pathetic middle classers like us, actually.

If you want your claims to be taken seriously, you must offer proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics