U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Status: "State of Satisfied Bliss and Indifference" (set 27 days ago)

7,027 posts, read 11,028,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

In years past, the US dollar was recognized as a store of value ...

That is clearly not the case, now. So now we are the folks with a corrupt government and corrupt money system.
Rep for this one. Money has basically three functions. In the US now the store of value function has been severely impaired.

This is the crux of tallrick's otherwise mostly rhetorical question. Kudos for recognizing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,821,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Then teach us how it does, oh mirthful one.
im not economics guru but if you dont think the fed has devalued the dollar and created inflation by constantly producing money with nothing backing in it then you know a lot less than me.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:15 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,505,146 times
I think Congress should work on commission.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:23 PM

5,446 posts, read 21,760,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

cdelena, if any of what you stated were the case, why is the dollar tanking relative to OTHER currencies -- Euro and all the rest? Those currencies all experience the same events, and are rising relative to the dollar.

Some of it is supply and demand for the dollar, and yes too many dollars increase supply (I did not say that wasn't a problem, just not all of it)... but commodity prices have gone up world wide.

The demand for the dollar has to do with confidence and alternatives; the declining economy in the US has undermined some confidence in the dollar, and there are more solid currencies than in the past.

The FED does reduce demand for the dollar when it drops interest rates relative to others and this will continue to be more obvious as the US economy is no longer driving the world alone; the world has advanced and we are simply a smaller percentage than in the past

The US dollar represents the wealth of this country and is not just a paper front for commodities, gold or any other. My other comments concerning inflation were all valid but I have no energy to debate those issues.

Yes, the government has mismanaged many programs, financial and others, but there is no broad conspiracy or widespread corruption. Changes in interest rates and currency are simply not the only reasons for inflation.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM

20 posts, read 10,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Some of it is supply and demand for the dollar, and yes too many dollars increase supply (I did not say that wasn't a problem, just not all of it)... but commodity prices have gone up world wide.

The demand for the dollar has to do with confidence and alternatives; the declining economy in the US has undermined some confidence in the dollar, and there are more solid currencies than in the past.

The FED does reduce demand for the dollar when it drops interest rates relative to others and this will continue to be more obvious as the US economy is no longer driving the world alone; the world has advanced and we are simply a smaller percentage than in the past

The US dollar represents the wealth of this country and is not just a paper front for commodities, gold or any other. My other comments concerning inflation were all valid but I have no energy to debate those issues.

Yes, the government has mismanaged many programs, financial and others, but there is no broad conspiracy or widespread corruption. Changes in interest rates and currency are simply not the only reasons for inflation.
The FED apparently has a monopoly on its counterfeit fiat money. When someone tried to establish a competing currency, the FBI raided the office (RP dollars backed by silver).

Since when does the government have the right to tell me what medium of exchange I may use to barter for goods/services? Not that I'd obey such a restriction .

Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
Angry The Federal Reserve System can be blamed for just about everything that is wrong with America

The Federal Reserve System is sucking the life's blood out of America. How can we let this privately owned company do this to us?
It make me so mad to see countless hardworking Americans scramble to pay 1/3 of there wages to income tax. Most to all of that money goes in the fat pockets of the international bankers of the Federal Reserve. For what? They already have more money than entire countries ccould spend in a lifetime. They get fat while the jobless and homeless population grows to record numbers. They've started wars and killed anyone who has gotten in their way, including presidents and thousands of US citizens. They've done all of this just to satisfy their enormous greed for more money and complete domination of the world. We as Americans need to wake up.
We are the richest country on the planet. We shouldn't be having the financial issues we are having.
Most of our
$23 trillion dollor+ debt was amassed after JFK's assassination in 1963.
Everyone needs to go to [URL="http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/"]www.zeitgeistmovie.com[/URL] and find out the truth the government doesn't want you to know about.
Just think what this country would be like if we had a $23 trillion dollar surplus.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 PM

84 posts, read 251,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The Federal Reserve doesn't cause inflation. It reacts to it.

The FED causes inflation when it FAILS to support the dollar
Its mandate, along with keeping unemployment in check.

No financial system has ever survived the long term debasement of its currency...eventually collapse ensues and the system must be re-made

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,256,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julebuggy View Post
The FED apparently has a monopoly on its counterfeit fiat money. When someone tried to establish a competing currency, the FBI raided the office (RP dollars backed by silver).

Since when does the government have the right to tell me what medium of exchange I may use to barter for goods/services? Not that I'd obey such a restriction .
It makes you wonder about "land of the free, home of the brave".

Why can't I go to the supermarket and give them gold coins if I want to. Or a local corner market (if a big chain supermarket doesn't want to deal with the hassles of accepting gold or silver coins).

I'm not a history buff on the history of fiat money and the government "forcing" people to use federal reserve notes. Has it been brought before the Supreme Court or other courts? Why can't we use barter?

I think we're better off living on the moon.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 AM

702 posts, read 2,824,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
There are very few efficient ways for US residents to invest in the euro. The most efficient is through a futures account, minimum notional investment around $200,000 ($20,000 on margin), and then you'd have to be a pretty astute trader.
Actually, you can open accounts in euros and other currencies in the U.S. through sites such as www.everbank.com

It is probably the easiest way to invest in the euro. However, if you transfer at this stage, you are betting that the dollar will be weaker in the long run. That is possible in the near term but not likely in the longer term as the world governments will intervene to shore up the dollar if they feel is necessary.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,745,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It makes you wonder about "land of the free, home of the brave".

Why can't I go to the supermarket and give them gold coins if I want to. Or a local corner market (if a big chain supermarket doesn't want to deal with the hassles of accepting gold or silver coins).

I'm not a history buff on the history of fiat money and the government "forcing" people to use federal reserve notes. Has it been brought before the Supreme Court or other courts? Why can't we use barter?

I think we're better off living on the moon.
You can certainly use barter and I don't think it would be easy for the government to prohibit that. However, using alternative forms of currency could become as high as a capital offense. In France during the late 1700s/early 1800s, the government would execute those who did not accept the domestic currency for purchases. People assume that risk is non-existent here, even after this FBI raid for someone making a PRIVATE legally backed local currency. It's bad enough some would marginalize you as a anarchist or wacko for even thinking it was a good idea.

Needless to say, even executing those who did not accept money as a form of control didn't stop the currency from going into hyperinflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics